Main Menu

Space 4x Blues

Started by Jarhead0331, January 20, 2018, 11:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

It's probably the genre nearest my heart. I've played nearly all of them. I'm constantly hunting for them new and old, and it's rare that one escapes my attention. Some I've loved, some I've hated and some were just meh. Almost all of them, no matter how good overall, are still missing some feature, some element or detail, that eventually makes we want to move on to something else. I really wish I had the ability to make my own game...the ultimate game of intergalactic exploration and conquest including all the best features from all the best games and adding new details and features that are rare or even overlooked completely. Until someone makes this dream game, I'll continue to rotate through my catalog.

Tonight, I played Stellaris, Polaris Sector, Star Shadow, Galactic Civ III and Distant Worlds Universe. These are all games I really enjoy, but I just couldn't get into them. Finally, I decided to load up v7.10 of Aurora. It's a game I've dabbled in periodically over the years, but never really played for long enough to truly understand. It's complexity is what has drawn me to it, and also kept me away from it at the same time. However, something clicked tonight and I feel pretty motivated to stick with it for awhile. There are some really good tutorial series now on YouTube and I'm playing along with Quill. I've started a conventional prewarp empire. Constructed a military academy, appointed some military and civilian leaders, begun research and mining and have requisitioned an increase in ship construction capability to 3000 tons. The level of detail in this game seems truly remarkable, but it's hard to tell how well it will come together in the end. I have to research a few more techs before I'll be able to start expanding to the stars, but I really look forward to exploring the universe, designing authentic ship classes, building fleets, recruiting legions, making first contact and conquering the stars.

I hope the lack of rich production features, graphics and sound, doesn't hold me back or make me lose interest...it seems, however, that this game can be limited only by one's own imagination.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

its a well done game because its ignored the graphics.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Yskonyn

The podcast about Aurora on The Strategy Gamer is a good listen.

Basically the conclusion is that the game is a superb story telling tool because of all its intricacies, but as a game it begins to crumble once you actually have a space faring civ setup.
The AI for other races is very bare bones aparently.
There is virtually no diplomacy in the game either.

Its much like Dwarf Fortress in that respect: you start you game knowing you will loose at some point, but the journey itself is pretty fun.

Some of the AARs out there are truly interesting reads, but for me Aurora is a bit like EVE Online and Elite: I find it much more entertaining to read about it than to play it.

But I don't want to come off too negative!
I also played alongside Quill. He does a great job and made me click with Aurora as well! It IS a truly remarkable project and is fun to explore all its workings, but in the end it just is too obvious that you're playing a big Access / Excel project on a galactic scope. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

spelk

Tortuga Power did a groovey series on Aurora 4X with a Star Trek RP theme.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuXzIAdwiCCz_Zo6Qm_FdKqTF9C99HsDn

undercovergeek

Depending on how far you want to go with quill Iirc he gave up after about 32 videos because he couldn't find any other races - not essential but just to let you know it's not complete

There's a 125 video one to watch but it gets old very soon

Excellent 'game' I've put a lot of time into it

Phantom

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2018, 11:15:37 PM
It's probably the genre nearest my heart. I've played nearly all of them. I'm constantly hunting for them new and old, and it's rare that one escapes my attention. Some I've loved, some I've hated and some were just meh. Almost all of them, no matter how good overall, are still missing some feature, some element or detail, that eventually makes we want to move on to something else. I really wish I had the ability to make my own game...the ultimate game of intergalactic exploration and conquest including all the best features from all the best games and adding new details and features that are rare or even overlooked completely. Until someone makes this dream game, I'll continue to rotate through my catalog.

A little off field maybe, but have you ever thought of going the board game route? This does allow you to design your own game - even if this just means finding one you're keen on & tweaking it as required. I've had fun doing this with age of sail games, and though I'm not acquainted with space 4X board games, there are several base games (some solo-able) out there that you could use - ie: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/84419/space-empires-4x

Jarhead0331

^thanks for the suggestion, phantom. In fact, I have considered board games. Just this week I posted a question in the tabletop wargaming forum about Twilight Imperium 4th edition. The biggest problem with board games for me is a lack of willing players. There really are no other gamers in my life or social circles. It's a big limiting factor. :(

Space empires looks like a nice solo option, but might be a bit dry for me...it's affordable though, so maybe I'll take a closer look.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Rayfer

I watched the spelk posted video...very intriguing game.  Is it turn based, and if so how many years is a turn?

Geezer

Jarhead, have you looked at Endless Space 2?
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Geezer on January 21, 2018, 09:01:42 AM
Jarhead, have you looked at Endless Space 2?

Yup. Got it. Very interesting and sharp looking game, but still not the ultimate.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rayfer on January 21, 2018, 08:30:20 AM
I watched the spelk posted video...very intriguing game.  Is it turn based, and if so how many years is a turn?

It advances in pulses of time, as little as 5 seconds to as much as 30 days. You can advance time manually, or in auto pulses which will stop upon the occurrence of an event.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bbmike

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 21, 2018, 07:31:53 AM
^thanks for the suggestion, phantom. In fact, I have considered board games. Just this week I posted a question in the tabletop wargaming forum about Twilight Imperium 4th edition. The biggest problem with board games for me is a lack of willing players. There really are no other gamers in my life or social circles. It's a big limiting factor. :(

Space empires looks like a nice solo option, but might be a bit dry for me...it's affordable though, so maybe I'll take a closer look.

Also consider playing Space Empire IV Deluxe solo (hotseat) if you have it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

undercovergeek

Jh - have you looked for a club locally?

No one is more antisocial than me and my biggest dread was finding a room full of nerds - the no other life type ones - but it turns out it's a room full of like minded people, they go to work, and come and play games afterwards

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bbmike on January 21, 2018, 09:43:38 AM

Also consider playing Space Empire IV Deluxe solo (hotseat) if you have it.

Got it. Although it has many details and options lacking in other games...it always struck me as "hollow" or soulless, if that makes sense. It never grabbed me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Rayfer

JH....the Aurora 4X wiki page lists two installation methods.  First is manual, which has some complexity to it.  Second is called Portable Aurora, supposedly much simpler.  Which did you do? Any suggestions?