It's FINALLY Here - GrogCast Season 4!

Started by bayonetbrant, September 27, 2016, 07:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

the one you want is Heir to the Empire, and then the 2 after that
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Emeraldlis

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 20, 2017, 08:12:10 PM
the one you want is Heir to the Empire, and then the 2 after that

Just looked this up on Amazon , U.K. , can't get this as a kindle download , which is what I wanted for my kindle app on iPad . But can order as a hardback book ....was about to have a meltdown , lol , b/c I don't want to wait for the book to be posted !!!!!! Then had a brainwave to check it out on audible ....and voilĂ , it's there :) so I've just bought  , Star Wars : the thrawn trilogy , book one :heir to the empire :)  thanks for the info  O0 I'm sure at some point though , I'll end up with the hardback version  :nerd:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

mirth

They're not great books (yes I'll get shit for saying it). Don't spend a lot on them. The best Star Wars Expanded Universe stories can be found in the Dark Horse comics.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Emeraldlis

Quote from: mirth on January 21, 2017, 05:56:10 PM
They're not great books (yes I'll get shit for saying it). Don't spend a lot on them. The best Star Wars Expanded Universe stories can be found in the Dark Horse comics.

Only spent a fiver on it , but STILL looking forward to giving it a listen :) but ....oh....my.....gawd , now I have to go check out dark horse comics  ;D thanks mirth , haha ....
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

mirth

The Zahn books are okay and I give Zahn a lot of credit for carrying the franchise through a moribund period. It's hard to believe today, but after Return of the Jedi the SW franchise was pretty much dead for almost a decade. Lucas was done with it, no one knew if there'd ever be another movie and little else was going on with it. Zahn's books changed all that and renewed interest in SW in a big way. I'm just not a huge fan of the stories, but I will acknowledge what he did for SW.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

So it's basically the "Spock Must Die!" of the Star Wars universe?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on January 21, 2017, 06:29:50 PM

Heh. I haven't read that one, but I read pretty much every Star Trek novel written through 1989 and 90% of those books were drek.

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on January 21, 2017, 06:32:26 PM

Heh. I haven't read that one, but I read pretty much every Star Trek novel written through 1989 and 90% of those books were drek.

That's so true. But there were a couple of diamonds in there.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on January 21, 2017, 06:42:05 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 21, 2017, 06:32:26 PM

That's so true. But there were a couple of diamonds in there.

Agreed. The Diane Duane books were some of the best sci-fi I've ever read. There were  a few other gems as well. Vonda McIntyre's books were very good. Her adaptation of Wrath of Khan is worth a read to this day.

bbmike

Highly recommend Black Fire by Sonni Cooper as well.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on January 21, 2017, 07:03:49 PM
Highly recommend Black Fire by Sonni Cooper as well.

Heh. I was just thinking about that one. Still remember when I read it back in '83.

Emeraldlis

Quote from: mirth on January 21, 2017, 06:15:51 PM
The Zahn books are okay and I give Zahn a lot of credit for carrying the franchise through a moribund period. It's hard to believe today, but after Return of the Jedi the SW franchise was pretty much dead for almost a decade. Lucas was done with it, no one knew if there'd ever be another movie and little else was going on with it. Zahn's books changed all that and renewed interest in SW in a big way. I'm just not a huge fan of the stories, but I will acknowledge what he did for SW.

So did Lucas want to jump back in and do more films directly because of the Timothy zahn books ? I love the movies , but I've never really delved much into the background of the whole thing . What's the relationship between zahn and Lucas ?

mirth

I don't think there's a direct relationship. The main thing the Lucas people told Zahn, and other authors, was that the period before the first Star Wars film was off limits. So Lucas was planning to do the prequels at some point. But Zahn's books did reignite fan interest and lead to other works. Shadows of Empire was widely acknowledged as a Star Wars movie without an actual movie. That book was marketed as though it was a movie - toys, video game tie-ins, etc.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 22, 2017, 09:12:42 AM
Quote from: mirth on January 21, 2017, 06:15:51 PM

So did Lucas want to jump back in and do more films directly because of the Timothy zahn books ? I love the movies , but I've never really delved much into the background of the whole thing . What's the relationship between zahn and Lucas ?

Zahn was hired by Lucas to write the official follow-up after Return of the Jedi, and Lucasfilm had deemed them "canonical".

Whether or not Lucas was 'inspired' by Zahn to go back to the first 3 movies is unknown, but I doubt it, since they were 8 years or so apart.

When Disney bought the Star Wars franchise, they jettisoned all of the "official" continuity from the post-Jedi Lucasfilm efforts (several book series and several graphic novels - Dark Empire was incredible) and completely rebooted everything, and that gave us The Force Awakens.  It also deprived us of ever seeing Thrawn on the big screen as he was written in the Heir to the Empire series, where he was a serious bad-ass.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on January 22, 2017, 09:17:59 AMShadows of Empire was widely acknowledged as a Star Wars movie without an actual movie. That book was marketed as though it was a movie - toys, video game tie-ins, etc.

Was there an actual novel, or just the graphic novel?  (he says, obviously too lazy to hit Google)