Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Computer Wargaming / Re: HA! I finished it!
« Last post by Anguille on Today at 01:29:37 AM »
Completed my first games of Civilization IV (space victory) and Civilization VI (cultural victory).

Back to the future game is on my list of games to play...well done. I always enjoy these story games but they take a long time to finish.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Cat's in the FRIDAY
« Last post by Anguille on Today at 01:27:42 AM »
It's going to be mostly Dawn of Andromeda for me. I am playing the second scenario as the Humans.

Probably playing around with some other games as well.

Have a great weekend guys.
Computer Wargaming / Re: What wargame did you try to get into, but gave up?
« Last post by fran on Today at 01:01:44 AM »
Yep, Achtung Panzer by Graviteam...looked great just could not get around the user interface
Wargaming / Re: Question for boardgamers
« Last post by JudgeDredd on Today at 12:22:02 AM »
JD, the LnLT series rules have had a re-write to v 4.1 and are much clearer. Not sure what the last version you looked at was. They Are also currently working on a ver 5.0 due out soon. This new version is even clearer and has many more examples in the rules, most with illustrations.

But if the system is not for you, and I know you have given it the ol'college try, then it's time to move on and play stuff you enjoy. Life is too short to fight frustration just to play a game.

I'll offer again to teach you on-line through VASSAL and Steam Chat if you'd like. But never feel bad because a game didn't click with you. Right now there are so many great games and systems, there no reason not to find something fu and easy, for you, to play.
I just spotted last night my LnL Falklands game has the 4.1 rules and looking through them, they are much clearer.

Those are for modern era though. I think my WWII game (Heroes of Normandie I believe) is an older set...I'll check later

As for the new rules...I gather they'll be available for download, but I wouldn't be able to get them printed cheaply and so would look to purchase them in a game...any ideas whether those rules are available in their current lineup (modern era or modern era) and if not, any scuttlebutt on what games in the future would bring those new rules in a box? Or - even better, whether the rules would be able to be bought in printed format (rather than download and print myself).

Also - as a quick aside - not too fussed - but will they still make 2 versions of the rules (modern era and WWII-Korea (I think)) or is there any plans to amalgamate them
Computer Wargaming / Re: What wargame did you try to get into, but gave up?
« Last post by Hofstadter on Yesterday at 11:54:57 PM »
bought all of the Graviteam library when it was on sale with every intention of making it my next big game. 
the interface and mechanics therein just annoyed me.

Could be worse.

Could be SABOW.
Wargaming / Re: Best WWI or WWII wargames out there so far
« Last post by JudgeDredd on Yesterday at 11:47:24 PM »
LnLP Nations at War series. Similar rules and same scale as LnLP World at War series but for WWII era conflicts. Current Normandy, East Front and N. Africa available. Fun game and plays fast.
I saw this on the LnL website. Unfortunately, I couldn't find t online in the UK (well, not the Normandy one - I think BoardGameGuru had the Africa and Russia one).

World at War's first module game, White Star Rising, has some Normandy scenarios, among others.

The series is on "version 2.0" at the moment, with new counters and maps, in "version 1.0" there was a module for Operation Cobra, that has not yet been converted I guess. But I'd guess by Normandy the reference was to White Star Rising.
You mean Nations at War right?

I couldn't find Nations at War White Star Rising online in the UK.
« Last post by JudgeDredd on Yesterday at 11:45:22 PM »
What about the Fields Of Fire series solitaire games from GMT?

Have heard a lot of good about it, although I've not yet fully learned it.  The rules look a bit on the heavy side, but it sounds like a great infantry platoon/company commander type of experience from WW2 to Korea and Vietnam.  The second version (Marine) reprint is also coming up soon.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-322-fields-of-fire-2nd-edition.aspx

https://www.gmtgames.com/c-46-fields-of-fire-series.aspx

The terrain, etc, for each scenario is dictated by some randomization of terrain cards in a tableau.  Same for enemy forces & such IIRC.  So there should be some great replayability.

Someone has a YT introductory partial playthrough on it.
Thanks Nef - I hadn't heard of FoF before...or it never clicked with me to look up for some reason. Maybe at the time, I just wasn't thinking about a new game.
« Last post by JudgeDredd on Yesterday at 11:41:56 PM »
Honestly your low level tactical collection is nice.  I would maybe consider moving up in the level of war to try something new like Normandy 44 or Holland 44.  Both operational level and are good for solo play.
I like the sound of that - perhaps I should scale up  O0
« Last post by JudgeDredd on Yesterday at 11:39:45 PM »
Wish you a speedy recovery Mr. Tuna.

Have a charity MS walk this weekend and the oldest boy is moving out tomorrow, and the weather is nice so the yard is calling. Had a gaming slump for a bit but that seems to be over. Will be tending to my PBEM games with a renewed enthusiasm.

Just started a Guns of August in TOAW4, lost everyone of my WW1 pbem games so far, hope to change that.

Playing Alesia as the Romans in FOG2, the Gauls just reached the walls.

AOW3 playing as the Dwarfs, haven't run into my pbem opponent yet, but the independents are giving my trouble. Lost my army twice already, man i suck at this game.

SCGC- playing as the Allies, taking it on the chin from the Japanese as they keep taking islands but there not moving against the Chinese. Nov 41 and i'm giving him a tough time in Russia, squirreled away 4 level 2 tank units and a couple of armies and kept them south of Moscow and hit him in the flank when he moved on Moscow bagged a HQ and an army. Battle of the Atlantic is still up in the air at this point, U-boats everywhere it seems.

SCWW2- Playing the Allies, June 44. I surprised him and landed in Europe in 43 to take the pressure off the Russians. One hex away from Paris and the Russian hordes are about 10 hexes from Warsaw, he done a good job of slowing me down but the Italians are about to fold and Yugoslavia just got liberated. This is a first run through for both of us, plenty of mistakes, but its been a lot of fun.

Playing Germans in a Panzer Korps scenario, getting creamed, money is running out with just 4 turns left and i'm 2 hexes from the map edge.....don't think i'll make the 4 turns.

For solo play i seem to be in an RPG mood, got 3 of them going.

Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition

Neverwinter Nights 2

And after reading Airboys excellent write up i purchased Underrail and i'm a couple of hours in and enjoying it.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.
lol - if you run out of things to play budd, you just give me a call  :buck2:

You got a link for donations for the charity MS walk?
« Last post by Destraex on Yesterday at 11:08:23 PM »
Tuna I also wish you a speedy recovery. The upside may be that you are home when I am!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10