Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rekim

Now I know what I'll be playing this weekend, besides a bit of ASL.

FarAway Sooner

I keep waiting for news on the AI getting patched to buy the game.  Between the Division Spam and the AI just doing some brain-dead stuff, I can wait.

They have a good record of supporting the game, and this one should be a serious cash-cow for them if they can get that figured out.

Oh well...  I'm off to play some more of Gary Grisby's World at War: A World Divided in the meantime!

Ian C

Despite the ahistorical peeves (Italy enters war too soon, etc.) it's playing well and I'm liking the changes in with the update. Using the No Man's Land mod to block off most of the sahara desert (highly recommended) and playing as UK in the 1939 start.
Because of the ahistorical aspect of Italy joining so soon it has proven quite interesting so far. Italy entered in '39 and started putting pressure on the French-Italian border eventually forcing the French back and causing them to fill the gaps with forces from the Belgium border (improved AI here). I asked the British Raj (India) for 8 Divisions and took East Africa then redeployed in North Africa. Pushed the Italians back and fought several naval battles against the Italian navy. Secured North Africa but the Italians redeployed more forces to the French lines and caused a collapse of the front, leaving the French AI to pull back some forces from the Maginot to desperately reinforce it. Then the Germans broke through with their strongest forces and air supremacy. My expeditionary force in France was encircling an Italian push when the Germans rolled through on my rear. Had to make a withdrawal from combat and the bastards were too fast and overran me. France capitulated.

Then while my Fleet was repairing at Alexandra, the Germans landed in Tunisia. They started pushing the lines east over to Libya. Currently holding them off barely.

They've fixed the air loss bug and Battle of Britain is playing out very well and quite tense as my fighter production is weak and I'm struggling with balancing industry between home defence and keeping north African forces reinforced.

Enjoying it but having to play on Speed 2, since there's heck of a lot to coordinate.

Rayfer

Quote from: Ian C on February 24, 2017, 08:50:53 AM
Despite the ahistorical peeves (Italy enters war too soon, etc.) it's playing well and I'm liking the changes in with the update. Using the No Man's Land mod to block off most of the sahara desert (highly recommended) and playing as UK in the 1939 start.
Because of the ahistorical aspect of Italy joining so soon it has proven quite interesting so far. Italy entered in '39 and started putting pressure on the French-Italian border eventually forcing the French back and causing them to fill the gaps with forces from the Belgium border (improved AI here). I asked the British Raj (India) for 8 Divisions and took East Africa then redeployed in North Africa. Pushed the Italians back and fought several naval battles against the Italian navy. Secured North Africa but the Italians redeployed more forces to the French lines and caused a collapse of the front, leaving the French AI to pull back some forces from the Maginot to desperately reinforce it. Then the Germans broke through with their strongest forces and air supremacy. My expeditionary force in France was encircling an Italian push when the Germans rolled through on my rear. Had to make a withdrawal from combat and the bastards were too fast and overran me. France capitulated.

Then while my Fleet was repairing at Alexandra, the Germans landed in Tunisia. They started pushing the lines east over to Libya. Currently holding them off barely.

They've fixed the air loss bug and Battle of Britain is playing out very well and quite tense as my fighter production is weak and I'm struggling with balancing industry between home defence and keeping north African forces reinforced.

Enjoying it but having to play on Speed 2, since there's heck of a lot to coordinate.

You got me fired up to get back into the game over the weekend. In spite of its flaws and warts, I've enjoyed it since it came out!!

Ian C

Quote from: Rayfer on February 24, 2017, 09:04:09 AM
You got me fired up to get back into the game over the weekend. In spite of its flaws and warts, I've enjoyed it since it came out!!

If you forgive some of it's failings and turn a blind eye to the ahistorical parts, it's a pretty good strategy game.

I would recommend a few mods though to get the best out of it. None of the mods below alter the basic gameplay, so you are still playing the basic game.

No Man's Land - makes certain areas impassable. This prevents AI forces from entering historically incorrect areas like the Sahara. It makes the Battle for North Africa more realistic.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=699397350

NATO Template Counters -self explanatory. More icons for your division designs. One I use frequently is the Armoured Cavalry NATO symbol when upgrading Cavalry to Armoured Cav. Also includes heavy Infantry/ Armour etc
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=768448576

German Historical Flag -the Nazi flag.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=698660211

No Experience for Division Design -allows free use of the division designer.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=698620155

Strategic View Adjustments
-changes the look of the map letters and air/naval mode etc. to be a lot nicer. If you try it you probably won't go back to the default one.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=704963980

AddFewGeneral -highly recommended if you enjoy playing as Germany or want a greater challenge playing against Germany. This is a beautifully made mod that increases the number of historically accurate German generals considerably.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=746134160

Coloured Buttons simply makes selection easier.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=699235856

solops

I bought Civ6. I am not buying any more games that lack an AI. When HOI4 gets one, I'll buy it on sale. In the meantime I will play one of the previous 3 or Arsenal of Democracy or Darkest Hour... since they all sit there and stare at me from my game library.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Quote from: solops on February 24, 2017, 02:16:55 PM
I bought Civ6. I am not buying any more games that lack an AI. When HOI4 gets one, I'll buy it on sale. In the meantime I will play one of the previous 3 HOIs or Arsenal of Democracy or Darkest Hour... since they all sit there and stare at me from my game library.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Rayfer

Crap. First game with the new patch and two years into a campaign I get a CTD. It repeats itself when I reload a prior save. A look at the Steam forums shows others having similar CTD's.   :'(

jamus34

Sooooooo...The the patch is borked...great googlymoogly Paradox.
Insert witty comment here.

Ian C

Quote from: Rayfer on February 24, 2017, 07:25:28 PM
Crap. First game with the new patch and two years into a campaign I get a CTD. It repeats itself when I reload a prior save. A look at the Steam forums shows others having similar CTD's.   :'(

Try clicking the 'Clear User Directory' button on the game launcher then re-launch.

Previous files from an earlier game version sometimes screws up the game and causes a CTD.

Rayfer

Quote from: Ian C on February 25, 2017, 06:37:35 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 24, 2017, 07:25:28 PM

Try clicking the 'Clear User Directory' button on the game launcher then re-launch.

Previous files from an earlier game version sometimes screws up the game and causes a CTD.

Thanks, but it didn't work. Even went on the Paradox site, via a Steam link, and followed their suggestions and it didn't work.  Odd though, they suggested: Navigate to My Documents > Paradox Interactive > Hearts of Iron 4 then Delete the "map" and "sharedcache" folder.  Went to there but only the sharedcache folder existed, there was no map folder?  This didn't work either.

Greybriar

I bet that's the problem.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Tanaka

I've been enjoying the new Strategic Command a lot better than HOI. The AI is really good and the game is much more my speed! They did a great job with this version!

mikeck

Quote from: jamus34 on February 24, 2017, 09:18:30 PM
Sooooooo...The the patch is borked...great googlymoogly Paradox.

Let's not get overly dramatic. A few users have had CTDs. Most have not. With all the different types of processors, cards, operating systems and drivers out now, it's almost impossible to release a HUGE patch like this that works on 100% of systems. Look at the depth and size of the patch...I hardly think it's borked
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Rayfer

Sort of got to the bottom of the CTD issue.  Mods.  Appears that with the recent upgrade some incompatible mods don't show up as such on the issue screen like they used to. I went in and disabled all mods and now the game runs just fine, with no CTD's.  But I couldn't tell which mod or mods were the problem.