Wings Over Flanders Fields Ultimate Edition

Started by WallysWorld, October 19, 2016, 12:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bboyer66

My dream game would be having the WOFF campaign and attention to detail combined with Rise of Flight.  As it is, both seem inadequate because of the other (campaign and realism in WOFF vs graphics and flight model of ROF). 

Nefaro

Quote from: RyanE on October 20, 2016, 07:00:05 AM
It seems kind of strange there is no upgrade for current users.  It's kind of a stiff arm to people that have been loyal and bought everything else.  They are basically making all those people rebuy everything they already bought just to get a few upgrades.

That sucks.  Think I spent around $100 on WOFF + expansions two years ago. 

I don't plan on re-purchasing for another $65.   >:(  Have FAR too many games yet to be given proper time to keep purchasing the same one over & over.

WallysWorld

Actually a dev just replied on the Simhq forum that anyone that WOFF 3 can email their support address and they should get a discount.

"However as a sign of goodwill we have extended the discount to any WOFF 3 owner. Please contact support with your WOFF 3 order details and we will organise a discount for you."
Simhq forum WOFF thread

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

PanzersEast

I have held off this game for ages, mainly because I wanted to see how it matured.... I have to say the current price is not bad for all expansions and to have one nice install package.  I will probably pick this up this weekend, nothing like dynamic campaigns!

PE

sandman2575

Quote from: bboyer66 on October 20, 2016, 07:42:59 AM
My dream game would be having the WOFF campaign and attention to detail combined with Rise of Flight.  As it is, both seem inadequate because of the other (campaign and realism in WOFF vs graphics and flight model of ROF).

Agree 100%.   I can't play one without soon feeling the absence of all the great things the other offers.

Toonces

It's a good price, but I've already bought this game twice, plus the expansions.  I'm not sure how much WOFF3 brings to the table over 2. 

However, I second everything Nefaro said; this is a fantastic game.  The UI and configuration is a hassle (IMO) but if you can get over that, there is a ton of gaming in there.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 19, 2016, 08:34:41 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 19, 2016, 06:31:31 PM
....just can't forget you also have to find and buy MS Combat Sim 3 to use with it.

Is that still so? The install/troubleshoot FAQ on the WOFF site doesn't mention CSF3 at all.

I might consider it if they have broken the tie to CSF3
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

WallysWorld

I got CFS3 from this website: CFS3 download or purchase

It works with WOFF for me as some said the DVD or CD is also needed.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

DoctorQuest

Quote from: WallysWorld on October 21, 2016, 03:13:19 PM
I got CFS3 from this website: CFS3 download or purchase

It works with WOFF for me as some said the DVD or CD is also needed.

Sorry, but I'm not sure that site looks entirely legit.....
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 21, 2016, 03:03:59 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 19, 2016, 08:34:41 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 19, 2016, 06:31:31 PM
....just can't forget you also have to find and buy MS Combat Sim 3 to use with it.

Is that still so? The install/troubleshoot FAQ on the WOFF site doesn't mention CSF3 at all.

I might consider it if they have broken the tie to CSF3

I know I'm in the minority but I really do like CFS3, warts and all. I have the Mediterranean Air War add-on which is a very impressive piece of work as well as the Firepower aircraft add-ons. I consider CFS3 to be a pretty good replacement for Microprose's European Air War. It is just very easy to jump in a fly a mission. I can live with the graphics. Hell, I still fly a number of sims with older gfx tech than CFS3. I'm here for the gameplay, not the eye candy.

I have WOFF1 and my big complaint with that is that they should have left the CFS3 UI alone. I actually retrofitted some of the standard CFS3 menus back in so I could fly quick missions and such. I don't always want to sit down and fly a campaign mission. I'm not sure what they did with WOFF2/3.

I will probably get this. I just know my system may get cranky trying to run it since they obviously pushed up the graphics quality as much as they could with the CFS3 engine.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

PanzersEast

So far I am really digging it... I have completed 2 Patrols and a training flight.  We took of on a training flight and as we flew around the weather started to get worse.... as you can see in the last picture our visibility started to drop.

WallysWorld

I'm also enjoying the game very much. Just flew my second training flight with the RFC which was at night and it was a bit tricky trying to follow the lead plane when you can barely see him. I'm not using any HUD or flying aids.

em2nought

I've waited all this time also, wonder if my PC will hand it, and where exactly is my CFS3 disk? 
Stolen elections have consequences.

sandman2575

Hmm I have WOFF version 2, so appears I'm not eligible for any kind of discount. It's tempting though. I have no doubt the full package is worth $65 but not sure I can justify the purchase at the moment.

But inspired by this thread, fired up WOFF for the first time in many months last night. Yikes -- I had forgotten how much of a pain in the a$$ setting up your flightstick is. The in-game mapping options are ridiculously limited, and not sure I have the patience to set things up using Saitek's software...

Nefaro

Quote from: sandman2575 on October 25, 2016, 09:57:53 AM
Hmm I have WOFF version 2, so appears I'm not eligible for any kind of discount. It's tempting though. I have no doubt the full package is worth $65 but not sure I can justify the purchase at the moment.

But inspired by this thread, fired up WOFF for the first time in many months last night. Yikes -- I had forgotten how much of a pain in the a$$ setting up your flightstick is. The in-game mapping options are ridiculously limited, and not sure I have the patience to set things up using Saitek's software...

I kinda want to pick up the new version, but I haven't checked requirements.  Are you saying that if you don't already own ALL the DLC, then there's no discount?  Aw well.. I wasn't going to be playing it again anytime soon, since being into other stuff, so I'll worry about it long into the future when I get the urge again.

My only real concern is that the game + two DLCs I bought in the last three years may have been left with the occasional annoying bug and won't be updated anymore.  The usual issue with re-release editions.   :-\