Main Menu

More VR

Started by Jarhead0331, May 21, 2019, 02:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

So, JH, ready to spill the beans?

How's the screendoor effect in relation to your Vive? How's the sharpness, FOV in relation to your Vive? (You know I am looking for DCS comparison between the two units! :) )

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

I'm planning to go VR this year, but it will be on the Playstation.  If the only VR kit in the house was on my PC, there would be people queuing up to use my PC - fuck that!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 26, 2019, 05:34:35 AM
So, JH, ready to spill the beans?

How's the screendoor effect in relation to your Vive? How's the sharpness, FOV in relation to your Vive? (You know I am looking for DCS comparison between the two units! :) )

I just flew last night with the rift s for the first time and it was a brief flight...in an AV8B, cold start, taxi, take off, flew about 25 miles out and came back to land and park. It's an absolutely amazing sensation and if I could get comfortable with limiting control to the HOTAS almost exclusively, it would probably be the only way I fly.

It's hard for me to compare with the Vive right now because it's been so long since I flew with it. My preference has always been to use trackIR in DCS despite the wonder of flight in VR. So, I'm going to have to load up a flight with vive to refresh my experience and give a meaningful comparison. In the meantime, what I can say is that the world and the cockpit were very sharp in the rift s. I had little difficulty making out the cockpit gauges or small moving vehicles from altitude. I still found the MFDs to be difficult to read though. FPS were smooth and consistent but once In a while I would get a brief pause and the oculus hourglass would show up for a second or two. I didn't really perceive any difference with the reduced fov to 80.

I didn't tweak any settings so I'll need to read up on that to make sure I've got everything's the way it should be to maximize the look and clarity with performance.

I've really grown attached to my cougar MFDs and the awesome monitor setup I put together for them. VR renders them entirely useless of course, so I need to think long and hard about how I prefer to fly. Anyway, once I can compare with the vive, I'll post further feedback.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

I'm getting more and more comfortable flying, and more importantly, fighting, in VR. Still loading up with the rift s and it helps that I am experiencing no nausea or discomfort at all. I do recall feeling some uneasiness in DCS with the Vive, but again, still haven't loaded a flight with the Vive recently to compare...I'm having too much fun with the rift.

I just flew a CAS mission in a Harrier and kicked some butt with mk20s, mk82s, rockets and guns. Took out 13 assorted Iranian ground vehicles. Heavy cloud cover with a relatively low ceiling g of around 2500 feet. Super good time.

I have most essential controls mapped to the HOTAS, but I still use the mouse for left and right clicking on cockpit and mfd controls. I'll continue to tinker with this in order to further refine it.

Anyway...I've barely even touched the rift controllers because I just don't need them for DCS. Eventually, I'll load up a different game that requires them and I will get to compare them to the Vive wands. But for now, in DCS, it's much easier for me to grab the mouse than it is to grab the touch controller to manipulate the switches and dials in cockpit.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18