Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2016?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 07, 2016, 09:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Here's who made the cut, and 4-8 of them will get picked

Brett Favre
Morten Andersen
Terrell Owens
Alan Faneca
Steve Atwater
Don Coryell
Terrell Davis
Tony Dungy
Kevin Greene
Marvin Harrison
Joe Jacoby
Edgerrin James
John Lynch
Orlando Pace
Kurt Warner
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

My list?

Brett Favre
Alan Faneca
Steve Atwater
Don Coryell
John Lynch
Orlando Pace

and Coryell is there for his coaching, as was Dungy.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Steelgrave

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 07, 2016, 09:08:27 PM

Brett Favre
Morten Andersen
Terrell Owens
Alan Faneca
Steve Atwater
Don Coryell
Terrell Davis
Tony Dungy
Kevin Greene
Marvin Harrison
Joe Jacoby
Edgerrin James
John Lynch
Orlando Pace
Kurt Warner

According to NFL.com, "The Pro Football Hall of Fame's current ground rules stipulate that between four and eight new members will be selected each year. No more than five Modern-Era Finalists can be elected in a given year and thus a class of six, seven, or eight can only be achieved if the Contributor Finalist and/or one or both of the Senior Finalists are elected".

So only five players can be selected, not counting recommendations from the Seniors (who will hopefully give Stabler his bust at last).

My pics....Brett Favre, Terrell Davis, Joe Jacoby, Orlando Pace, Kurt Warner and Coryell as a contributor.

Bison

Brett Favre
Morten Andersen
Steve Atwater
Don Coryell
Joe Jacoby

bayonetbrant

I like Andersen, but I think there are more deserving guys on a headcount-limited list

Bison

Trust me I have plenty of reason to never want to be reminded of Andersen, but he was one of the, if not the, greatest kicker of all time.  He did it for over 25 years and owns 13 records.  He belongs without question IMHO, but because he's a kicker he'll get overlooked for the HoF on this ballot.

Arctic Blast

Brett Favre
Kurt Warner
Orlando Pace
John Lynch
Steve Atwater

And Don Coryell as a contributor.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on January 07, 2016, 10:26:48 PM
Trust me I have plenty of reason to never want to be reminded of Andersen, but he was one of the, if not the, greatest kicker of all time.  He did it for over 25 years and owns 13 records.  He belongs without question IMHO, but because he's a kicker he'll get overlooked for the HoF on this ballot.

I agree with you on pretty much all of that.  I just have 5 dudes I listed above I'd put ahead of him for the HoF out of this group.

OJsDad

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 07, 2016, 09:08:27 PM

Brett Favre
Morten Andersen
Terrell Owens
Alan Faneca
Steve Atwater
Don Coryell
Terrell Davis
Tony Dungy
Kevin Greene
Marvin Harrison
Joe Jacoby
Edgerrin James
John Lynch
Orlando Pace
Kurt Warner

Farve, Dungy, Harrison, Pace, Greene, along with the Senior Committee pick of Stabler and Stanfel, and Edward DeBartolo Jr. (former 49's owner) as a Contributor were all named to the HOF this year. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

I will say that I'm surprised that Kevin Greene made it, but not disappointed for him at all.

One of the coolest things about him was that he continued to serve as a reservist after being commissioned out of ROTC, even while he was playing in the NFL.  He was originally an Armor officer, but I think he finished his career in another specialty.

MetalDog

Greene is third on the all time list in sacks.  Why they didn't put Owens in, I'll never know.  I realize there is something like a morals clause in the Pro Football HoF, but, if that's the case then Favre, a pill popper and Harrison, who was embroiled in a murder investigation, shouldn't have been elected either.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on February 07, 2016, 09:05:47 AMWhy they didn't put Owens in, I'll never know. 

because he's a dick, and when you piss off people that get to make decisions like this about your life, they're going to be dicks right back to him.

he'll get in eventually, but I (selfishly) hope Torry Holt gets in first :D

Quote from: MetalDog on February 07, 2016, 09:05:47 AMGreene is third on the all time list in sacks.
I didn't realize he was that high on the list.  That's cool.
I just don't ever picture him in the 'team photo' of greatest pass-rushers.  Probably just my own myopia, more than anything.
Again, I'm happy he's in and not at all disappointed.  I just didn't expect it.

MetalDog

If being a dick keeps you out of the Hall, I suspect that it would be a lot less populated.  I don't know any of these people personally, and can only go by what I read, but, I really suspect that 'being a dick,' is a good description for a lot of pro athletes.  Comes with the territory.  Still, that's a lot less of a character flaw than being a pill head or part of a murder investigation.

OJsDad

The game got cancelled due to issues with the field paint making parts of the field like cement. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.