Tennessee Earthquake

Started by airboy, December 12, 2018, 01:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

There was a 4.4 magnitude quake in Tennessee.  I did not feel anything in Auburn although the news reports claim it was "felt in Atlanta."  In terms of distance, it is about the same.

Jason - did you feel anything?

JasonPratt

I'm on the west side of the state. I haven't felt anything, but I'll check the USGS site...

Yeah, there was also a 3.0 aftershock about 15 minutes later, too. They were both in Decatur, right on the Tennessee River, north of Georgia (roughly the dividing line of East and Middle TN. Well, the Green Wall of the Cumberland Plateau is more the dividing line. The Tennessee River is DEFINITELY the dividing line between Middle and West, on the other side of the state. ;) )

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

And you were just talking about this very thing not long ago. Hmmmm..... I wonder, is this you Jason, just making a point?  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Nah, this isn't the ultraquake threat. It's more like a damquake from too much water being penned up by the Tennessee Valley Authority (though having most of our electricity in the state and surrounding areas through hydroelectric is nifty.  O0 )

Now, having said that: a dam upriver on the Columbia has been threatening to break for a while. And apparently there's no way to repair it. When (not if) it goes, there's going to be a tsunami coming downriver flattening towns and killing people caught by surprise. The destruction would reach as far as Nashville, the state capital. (Literally as far as the state capitol building, though the hill itself might escape inundation.)

I hadn't even thought about the problems if a dam upriver on the Tennessee lets go... And that Decatur quake was near one of those dams.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Dammit Carl!

Heh.  The quake caused a few poorly-placed things in our basement to jangle to the floor; was up due to stomach issues but in the dark just paging around on the phone so the noise did startle me a wee bit.