Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!

Started by bbmike, May 04, 2016, 04:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

Can I jettison my plans to get the original to run on my new machine?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on May 04, 2016, 05:01:12 PM

I run the original just fine on my Win10 system. It wasn't difficult to get it running.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dread Rlyeh

ermuhgud...

That said, given they are showing the original box artwork and 2016, I'm think this is a re-release working on modern versions of windows, maybe some resolution tweaks.  I would love if they tried to squash some remaining bugs and tune the AI up a bit as well, but I doubt it.  One can hope though. 

bbmike

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 04, 2016, 05:45:13 PM

I run the original just fine on my Win10 system. It wasn't difficult to get it running.

Do you use any mods? If you click on the 'Discussions' tab in the link I posted there is an updated Emperor Wars mod.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

tgb

Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on May 04, 2016, 07:02:13 PM
ermuhgud...

That said, given they are showing the original box artwork and 2016, I'm think this is a re-release working on modern versions of windows, maybe some resolution tweaks.  I would love if they tried to squash some remaining bugs and tune the AI up a bit as well, but I doubt it.  One can hope though.

Considering the lack of hype, I tend to agree.

Gusington

I haven't even checked if it will run on Win 8.1.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bbmike on May 04, 2016, 07:34:29 PM

Do you use any mods? If you click on the 'Discussions' tab in the link I posted there is an updated Emperor Wars mod.

Yes. I run that mod. I think its at version 3.5.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Boggit

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 04, 2016, 08:28:50 PM
Quote from: bbmike on May 04, 2016, 07:34:29 PM

Yes. I run that mod. I think its at version 3.5.
What do you think of it? I remember the game was quite popular a long while back, but I never got around to playing it. Marks out of 10?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Boggit on May 05, 2016, 12:42:34 PM

What do you think of it? I remember the game was quite popular a long while back, but I never got around to playing it. Marks out of 10?

Back in the day, it was a solid 10. A really unique game, with some very standout concepts that no other game incorporated. The tactical battle system was awesome. Load troops on to transports send them to different worlds and deploy them, at which point the battle for control of the planet is fought on a global hex based map.  Oh, and the variety of units was tremendous. So many different types of infantry, armor, craft, etc.  Very creative research and technology tree. Space vessels were EXTREMELY valuable as they were so expensive to produce and required some very rare resources. Decent graphics for the time, great plot and background lore and very challenging. I loved how in addition to the 5 major playable factions, there were also some very powerful groups that could exert real game changing influence, such as the Holy Church and the Merchant Guild. Additionally, there were key imperial political positions that if held provided some very significant bonuses, like additional space vessels, armies, etc., which could be used illegally to further your faction's interests.

Today, I would place it maybe between a 6-7. Its still a great game, but like almost all of the old classics, time has tarnished it. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Boggit

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 05, 2016, 12:59:34 PM

Back in the day, it was a solid 10. A really unique game, with some very standout concepts that no other game incorporated. The tactical battle system was awesome. Load troops on to transports send them to different worlds and deploy them, at which point the battle for control of the planet is fought on a global hex based map.  Oh, and the variety of units was tremendous. So many different types of infantry, armor, craft, etc.  Very creative research and technology tree. Space vessels were EXTREMELY valuable as they were so expensive to produce and required some very rare resources. Decent graphics for the time, great plot and background lore and very challenging. I loved how in addition to the 5 major playable factions, there were also some very powerful groups that could exert real game changing influence, such as the Holy Church and the Merchant Guild. Additionally, there were key imperial political positions that if held provided some very significant bonuses, like additional space vessels, armies, etc., which could be used illegally to further your faction's interests.

Today, I would place it maybe between a 6-7. Its still a great game, but like almost all of the old classics, time has tarnished it.
Thanks JH. :) It sounds like it's definitely worth adding to the collection, especially if this release updates it to more modern standards. The gameplay sounds like it ticks all the right boxes. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 05, 2016, 12:59:34 PM

Back in the day, it was a solid 10. A really unique game, with some very standout concepts that no other game incorporated. The tactical battle system was awesome. Load troops on to transports send them to different worlds and deploy them, at which point the battle for control of the planet is fought on a global hex based map.  Space vessels were EXTREMELY valuable as they were so expensive to produce and required some very rare resources. Decent graphics for the time, great plot and background lore and very challenging. Today, I would place it maybe between a 6-7. Its still a great game, but like almost all of the old classics, time has tarnished it.
I give it a 10 for effort, but more like a 7 for execution (at least initially).  There were plenty of bugs at release and I remember emailing the devs some save games of mine during Christmas break.  I'm a bit OCD when it comes to certain issues and the Church wasn't moving it's units.  Made it unplayable for me.   They fixed that in a patch, but there were a number of other issues.  Can't really remember the specifics, this was probably 20 years ago. 

I came back to it after a few years and I recall some AI issues even using the latest mods.  That said, the game really captured my imagination, even if the lore wasn't super original.   Still, can't really go wrong drawing from Herbert as one of your influences :)

Speaking of mods, the announcement maybe a mod:  - note the "COMING SOON - EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS "LOST WORLDS" on the steam page.

Now, check this out:
Emperor of the Fading Suns - Emperor Wars Mod 3.5 Released
« on: May 03, 2016, 02:51:02 pm
This is the last Emperor Wars update before the Emperor of the Fading Suns - Lost Worlds Mod that will introduce the Vuldrok World of Hargard and the Kurgan Caliphate and the planet of Hira.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157929.0

Boggit

I'm getting really interested in this game. Now, where to find a download site, and then to add the 3.5 mod? 8)

I also learnt something new - they did Warhammer 40K - Final Liberation - I have that on disc somewhere, and that was a good game in its day... http://www.holistic-design.com/?page_id=103

Boggit

I should ask first... is the 3.5 mod a standalone game, or do I need to find the base game then mod it? Any advice and links are appreciated.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Boggit on May 05, 2016, 01:28:37 PM
I should ask first... is the 3.5 mod a standalone game, or do I need to find the base game then mod it? Any advice and links are appreciated.

You do not need to buy the base game. There is a site that wraps the 3.5 mod up with everything you need. I believe the game is in the public domain now, but don't quote me on that...its not legal advice.  :coolsmiley:

This link should have everything you need...

https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/home/emperor-of-the-fading-suns-emperor-wars---reality-mod---downlao

Unfortunately, the intro video doesn't work...its on youtube though and is worth a watch. It really sets the mood.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog