News from Ukraine Conflict

Started by bayonetbrant, May 07, 2014, 09:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I foresee potential problems with clogging the page-code by ticker-taping text, through multiple posts by {move}-ing sigs. Testing.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

mirth

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on May 12, 2014, 08:00:10 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 12, 2014, 03:44:39 PM
The "People's Republic of Donetsk" has asked to join Russia:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/12/ukraine-crisis-donetsk-region-asks-join-russia

At the bottom of that page there is this gem
http://latest.com/2014/03/rumsfeld-claims-a-trained-ape-is-better-than-president-obama/?utm_source=Outbrain_Geo

That's special. So this:

Quote"This administration, the White House and the State Department, have failed to get a status of forces agreement. A trained ape could get a status of forces agreement. It does not take a genius."

Equals this:

QuoteRumsfeld Claims a Trained Ape is Better Than President Obama

Makes sense  :o
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

Just to make sure we don't get too derailed in this thread, please shift any further commentary of apes, Presidential, formerly Secretarial, or otherwise, to some other thread in RPFW.  Tenjooberrymud!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

pawelj

Quote from: mirth on May 12, 2014, 03:44:39 PM
The "People's Republic of Donetsk" has asked to join Russia:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/12/ukraine-crisis-donetsk-region-asks-join-russia
Ukrainians need to do their version of Sherman March to the Sea. In their case it would be from Sloviansk to Mariupol.
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117692/fascism-returns-ukraine

Irony:  "Russians" in eastern Ukraine protesting to join a country where such protests are illegal; demanding a referendum to join a country where such referendums are not allowed.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

QuoteThe head of Russia's space program says Moscow will reject the United States' request to use the International Space Station beyond 2020 – the latest twist in a standoff between the two countries over the ongoing crisis in Ukraine.

Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin, who leads Russia's defense industry, made the announcement Tuesday. He also said Russia will block Washington from using Russian-made rocket engines to launch military satellites, according to Reuters.

The moves come after the U.S. slapped sanctions on Russian President Vladimir Putin's allies -- who include Rogozin -- for Russia's intervention in Ukraine. The U.S. also denied export licenses for high-tech items that could aid Russia's military. 

"These sanctions are out of place and inappropriate," Rogozin said at a news conference Tuesday. "We have enough of our own problems."

Russia supplies NK-33 and RD-180 rocket engines to the U.S.

"We are ready to deliver these engines but on one condition -- that they will not be used to launch military satellites," Rogozin said.

A Kremlin-controlled firm that Rogozin oversees produces and supplies the RD-180 engine to American defense contractors.

The United Launch Alliance (ULA), a joint venture of Boeing and Lockheed-Martin which sub-contracts with the Kremlin-controlled firm for the engines, said Tuesday that it is "hopeful that our two nations will engage in productive conversations over the coming months that will resolve the matter quickly."

"ULA and our Department of Defense customers have always prepared contingency plans in the event of a supply disruption," Jessica Rye, a spokesperson for the ULA, told Fox News in a statement.

After the sanctions were announced, Rogozin took to Twitter last month and said Russia would retaliate against the U.S.

"I propose that the United States delivers its astronauts to the ISS with the help of a trampoline," he added.

The U.S. wants to keep the ISS in use until at least 2024, according to Reuters. But as of now, Russian Soyuz spacecraft are the only way American astronauts can get to the ISS. NASA is working to restore U.S. transport to the station by 2017.

Rogozin said Russia is planning changes to its space industry after 2020 and plans to divert money and resources to "a project with more prospects".

He also suggested that Russia could use the station without cooperation from the U.S.

"The Russian segment can exist independently from the American one," Rogozin said. "The U.S. one cannot."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/05/13/russia-casts-doubt-on-us-future-with-iss-over-ukraine-sanctions/?intcmp=latestnews

I am surprised it took this long for these threats to be made.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

GDS_Starfury

QuoteHe also suggested that Russia could use the station without cooperation from the U.S.

"The Russian segment can exist independently from the American one," Rogozin said. "The U.S. one cannot."

yeah about that statement:

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Are their rockets so much better? Why are they needed? I thought France made rockets to launch from S America.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Staggerwing

My guess is because Russia subsidized to keep the costs down, undercutting the ESA and private contractors, thus both staying relevant as a nation and keeping their aerospace industry from having nothing to do and withering on the vine.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on May 14, 2014, 07:07:16 PM
Are their rockets so much better? Why are they needed? I thought France made rockets to launch from S America.

the problem is how NASA's been defunded.  :tickedoff:
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

pawelj

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 14, 2014, 10:01:46 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on May 14, 2014, 07:07:16 PM

the problem is how NASA's been defunded.  :tickedoff:
I say we transfer the entire DEA budget to NASA.
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill