Weird files being downloaded by my phone (android + chrome)

Started by jomni, June 13, 2015, 12:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Weird files are being downloaded by my phone when I access this site. File name are just random letters.  What is that?

bayonetbrant

I don't know.  But we'll look into it and see.  Tapatalk fallout?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Quote from: jomni on June 13, 2015, 12:16:49 AM
Weird files are being downloaded by my phone when I access this site. File name are just random letters.  What is that?

Is it happening on threads with youtube videos in some of the posts? See if the random letters correspond to the id of a particular video on the youtube site. I had this happen a week or two ago. Every time I loaded a page the browser would d/l a broken file with the youtube id of whatever music or lets play video someone had linked to using the youtube widget in the post composition window.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 13, 2015, 06:14:38 AM
Quote from: jomni on June 13, 2015, 12:16:49 AM

Is it happening on threads with youtube videos in some of the posts? See if the random letters correspond to the id of a particular video on the youtube site. I had this happen a week or two ago. Every time I loaded a page the browser would d/l a broken file with the youtube id of whatever music or lets play video someone had linked to using the youtube widget in the post composition window.

Wow.  Good detective work.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

Not sure how to stop it.  I can look at some other options for youtube embeds and see what they offer.

Staggerwing

I have not had it since that day I first mentioned it in another thread. Maybe a browser update is in order? Jomni, which one do you use?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

bayonetbrant

Jomni - not gonna lie.  I hadn't looked into it once we figured out what it was causing the downloads.  I think it's a side effect from you YouTube embed plugin.  Keep reminding me, but there's some personal stuff going on here that's limiting how much real time I have to invest in tech issues.