The 2015 Baseball Thread

Started by MetalDog, February 02, 2015, 07:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Gambling there's a potential motivation for you to lose.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Agreed, but both actions are detrimental to the game.  They skew the results.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Marty Ward

Quote from: MetalDog on February 12, 2015, 11:20:39 PM
Why is gambling worse than steroids? 

because the warning against it and the punishment have been prominently posted in every Major League clubhouse for more than 60 years and that every year all player and coaches must attend a meeting where it is again explained and they sing off on attending?
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

OJsDad

For baseball, we're told that the stats are the game.  So individuals taking drugs to improve their game have gotten their names into the record when they were slightly above average. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Marty Ward

Quote from: OJsDad on February 13, 2015, 01:52:49 PM
For baseball, we're told that the stats are the game.  So individuals taking drugs to improve their game have gotten their names into the record when they were slightly above average.

While stats count there are no statistical guidelines. To be enshrined in the Hall of Fame the voters must consider other things.

"Hitting 500 homers, collecting 3,000 hits, or winning 300 games does not produce an automatic ticket to Cooperstown. In fact, there is no statistical guideline. Voting baseball writers are instructed to judge each candidate on ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contribution to the team or teams on which he played -- as well as to baseball in general."

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/baseball-hall-of-fame2.htm
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

Bison

I'd personally support taking reporters with no actual experience or ability to play the game out of the business of deciding who goes into the hall of fame. 

MetalDog

Maybe you guys already knew this, hell, I might have known and forgotten, but, the Hall isn't run by MLB.

Bison

Is the World Series on NBC this year?  I just need to know if I have to practice my muting Bob Doucheface Costas skills over the summer.

MetalDog

It's on Fox.  For the 16th year in a row.

Arctic Blast

Wonderful. So we get to look forward to Joe Buck again.  >:(

MetalDog

MetalDog

Any of you gentlemen follow Sabremetrics?  I'm delving in to some of it right now and it's frying my brain.  WAR.  FIP.  wOBA.  And that's the easy stuff.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: MetalDog on February 17, 2015, 09:28:46 PM
Any of you gentlemen follow Sabremetrics?  I'm delving in to some of it right now and it's frying my brain.  WAR.  FIP.  wOBA.  And that's the easy stuff.

I kinda sorta understand some of it. A lot of it gives me a headache...particularly when different groups have different versions of the same stat that take different factors into account.

Marty Ward

Sabremetrics are ok but a little over rated I think. Baseball is more about historical statistics than this years stats. In general players will do what they have historically done, until the don't that is :)

The difference between hitting .250 and .290 is about 25 hits over the course of a season (assuming 600 AB), or about 1 per week. You can't predict when those hits will come, maybe a guy who normally hits .250 goes 5 for 5 in a couple of blowouts during the season or starts off super hot then hit like history says he should. He will look like a better player during the year than a historical .290 hitter who started off slow but will most likely finish on a tear. Players who have hit .250 for 4-5 years in a row don't generally become .300 hitters. They may do it once but it would be a fluke. Same with walks, if you have a good eye you have a good eye, you don't suddenly develop one 1/2 way through your career.

MetalDog

I am actually trying to get a handle on it so I can bet baseball on daily fantasy sports leagues, like FanDuel or Draft Kings.  The gubmint says it is legal because it is a skill, not a bet, so, here I go!