Your 2017 Game Journey

Started by airboy, December 12, 2017, 09:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

What direction did your gaming take in 2017?

I'm putting this here because this question encompasses computer games, console games, RPGs, tabletop games and everything else.

mirth

Bloody hell. 2017 was pretty good. I think I did more minis games than ever
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

airboy

2017 brought about big changes in my game habits.

I was on sabbatical this year and am pretty close to retirement.  For the last 35 years I've almost exclusively played PC games against AI opponents.  I've devoted most of my energy to earning a living and most of my gaming was dropped for the last 35 years or so.

This year I went to three gaming conventions: Origins, MACE and a big Pinball Con.  2016 was the first gaming convention I've been to in 35 years.  2017 was the first RPG & tabletop game conventions I've been to since College.

In 2017 I bought a ton of RPG stuff, especially Call of Cthulhu.  I've read scores of game scenarios (mostly Cthulhu).  I wrote a detailed scenario and ran it.  I've not read much of anything RPG related in the last 30 years.

In 2017 I also bought more board games than I've purchased in the last 30 years.  Pathfinder and a couple of Horror oriented board games were purchased and played.  I also played board games at Cons for the first time ever.

For the next couple of years I won't be able to play as much as I did in 2017.  But I've decided to drop the consulting.  My private businesses have almost all wrapped up.  I've given up summer school.  And I've stopped working 60 hour weeks on a routine basis as I'm closing in on retirement.

2017 was a big change year.  I've gone back to playing a lot of the types of games I enjoyed in Junior High, High School and College.  I'm back reading a ton of RPG stuff and going to Cons.

I also figured out that retirement will probably not drive me insane.

Sir Slash

I never thought I'd end up with so many AGEOD games. I always thought they looked and played boring but ACW 2 opened my eyes. My finest moment of 2017 was winning ACW 2's Grand Campaign as the North. Along with finishing Pillars of Eternity. Two big wins for me this year. Makes up for my total lack of interest in finishing my CMBN & CMFI campaigns.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Silent Disapproval Robot

2017 was a great year for board games (and a banner year for board game collecting).  Didn't do too much PC gaming.  Didn't get enough painting done (still got 28 minis left to go for my Descent collection, then I have to start on my Tanks collection and possibly Mansions of Madness after that). 

I'm still fully ensconced in board gaming (because I like to pay ridiculous amounts of money and have the inconvenience of having to learn rules, lug stuff around, and find people to play against who I don't want to stab).  I've met a good group of gamers here in Vancouver and I'm able to find an opponent for most of the games I'd like to play.  Not been the best year health-wise though (sitting around tables for hours on end, eating crap and barely moving doesn't help) so I'm going to try to curtail the sedentary stuff next year and force myself into a more regular fitness regimen.  Hard to do when you work shifts though.  I work 12 hour days/nights, two weeks of days, a week of nights, and a week off.  I do well on my week off, OK during my 1st week of days, but the 2nd week and the week of nights are always write-offs.  I'm either too tired or to busy doing the day to day stuff to get in a workout and too often I end up eating like crap. I was doing the keto diet and seeing good results (lost 11 kilos in 4 months) but then I got the cholesterol results.  Who knew eating 3-5 eggs a day would cause it to spike like that? :D

The plan for 2018 is to limit gaming to twice a week (except for cons) and hit the gym and the trail at least 3 times a week during work weeks, 5 times during the week off, and try to force myself to eat better.

Goals:  Win scenario 3 of CoH: Guadalcanal as the USMC.  Get a 12-player game of Sails of Glory going.  Complete a game of Empire of the Sun (now that I've got the gaming table which can be covered, should be doable).  Limit buying board games and expansions to stuff I know I'll play.    (it's fun to dream).

bbmike

I moved more into board gaming in 2017 with the addition of my new (and microscopic) gaming table. Also added quite a bit to my RPG collection. The question is will I play any of them in 2018?  :))
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on December 12, 2017, 09:21:54 PM
This year I went to three gaming conventions: Origins, MACE and a big Pinball Con.  2016 was the first gaming convention I've been to in 35 years.  2017 was the first RPG & tabletop game conventions I've been to since College.

You hit LibertyCon, too!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

This year was a lot more diving into my older collection for re-reading (especially the RPGs), as well as stocking up on a crap-ton of board games (though still not up to Mirth's headcount).

I've tried to play things outside my usually wheelhouse, too.  I've got Pacific War from LNLP here to run thru.  I finally stickered and pushed around Pax Baltica for a bit.  More games of Liberty or Death.  I still want to pull out 1754 from Academy before the end of the year.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 13, 2017, 09:12:45 AM
This year was a lot more diving into my older collection for re-reading (especially the RPGs), as well as stocking up on a crap-ton of board games (though still not up to Mirth's headcount).

I've tried to play things outside my usually wheelhouse, too.  I've got Pacific War from LNLP here to run thru.  I finally stickered and pushed around Pax Baltica for a bit.  More games of Liberty or Death.  I still want to pull out 1754 from Academy before the end of the year.

Me too!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Barthheart

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on December 13, 2017, 09:14:35 AM
Quote from: mirth on December 13, 2017, 09:14:07 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 13, 2017, 09:12:45 AM
I've got Pacific War from LNLP here to run thru.
Me too!
Is it any good?

Once we run the review on the front page, you can...

ah hell - ask us again b/c like everyone else, you won't bother to read it  ::)

undercovergeek

I got this far into 2017 and found a war gaming club about 5 miles away - I'm going to mooch around next Tuesday and see what it's like and then either get back into WHFB or bolt action

mirth

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 13, 2017, 10:56:23 AM
I got this far into 2017 and found a war gaming club about 5 miles away - I'm going to mooch around next Tuesday and see what it's like and then either get back into WHFB or bolt action

nice!

bob48

Sounds like a good plan. The Bolt Action stuff looks really good.

https://store.warlordgames.com/

They do some fantastic figures from lots of different periods.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!