Robotech Tactics...damn...

Started by Cyrano, February 19, 2017, 12:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Capn Darwin

Sweet baby Jesus, that was the saddest posting I've seen in a while and a sobering reality of just how far mankind has sunk with the forum of the Internet and zero accountability for one's comments and conduct.

I hope he and his family recover from these events and I hope some of those that contributed to the situation gain some form of remorse and understanding for unfiltered words.  :'(
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

bayonetbrant

I hate the shitstorm that came out of that.

I just wish Kevin S could flippin' deliver a product on time and as advertised. He's hardly a credible voice for sanity in gaming.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

So...

Poorly managed Kickstarters have come to this.   *sigh*

And here I thought the High Frontier 3rd Ed. KS was inciting some serious backer venom for the poor handling and their rare updates which occasionally contained fictional progress reports. 

But after reading some of them, it seems a notable part of the root cause is that the people and/or companies running such Kickstarters have their eggs spread out among too many baskets, and the results are exactly what you'd expect.  Some projects are left to languor.  With little progress after having gathered the funds from backers, and long after estimated delivery dates. 

I've seen the exact same reactions, on overdue Kickstarter projects, when the people working on them start promoting completely new projects to the frustrated people in the old unfinished one.  What do they expect?  Especially if they start mentioning that supporting the new unrelated one will help fill out the older one.  That's throwing a lot of fuel on the fire.  :o   Really.. what do they expect when asking for more money, up front, on something else?  Gonna be some angry backers, and there will be inevitable speculation on what's going on behind the scenes.

I can only guess that the guy who came looking for more backing had little clue what the situation was, regarding the customers, on the old KS when he showed up.  Which would also make me wonder just how often the people running the project checked in (which is a common complaint).

Cyrano

I will not here address "Up Front" save to say that it was a clear con that duped many.

More striking to me is how long it's taken Steve Jackson -- no tyro he -- to get  to some of the KS stretch goals for Ogre:DE.  Don't get me wrong, the game itself is one of my favorites and the app the KS allowed is wonderful.  But there were a number of the stretch goals that made me think this Hall-of-Fame-caliber guy didn't know what he was getting himself into.  And that's really weird.

As for OT, I completely get the anger customers have for a product not delivered or poorly delivered.  Ultimately, though, it doesn't change anything.  It can't and won't make the game come out one minute faster.  Heck, people are howling at PSC for "Battle of Britain", but every time an update comes out it appears things are moving along quite well.  But the savagery directed at the object in this instance was well out of proportion with reality.  Entirely sad.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

panzerde

This is appalling. There are far too many outright self-centered cranks in gaming. I don't care how badly managed or behind a Kickstarter is, hounding someone to the point of suicide over a $50 pledge is unforgivable.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Con

I agree that the venom in the discussion of a KS game is way over the top.  People invest small amounts in companies all the time (shares etc) yet they dont get to say what products are made or when they are launched.  The difference with the KS model is that they tie the income to one product and not to a pipeline which in the end is what the developer needs to be making.  One product doesn't cover the investment and time they put in.  I look at KS as much as investing in stocks.  Dont expect an upside be happy if one happens (on time delivery etc) and instead think of your investment as a gamble to help get something you are interested in as potentially available.  At the end of the day games are entertainment not life or death and people who act entitled that it is life or death need to get their heads examined for priorities.

Con

panzerde

Quote from: Con on March 05, 2017, 02:15:21 PM
I agree that the venom in the discussion of a KS game is way over the top.  People invest small amounts in companies all the time (shares etc) yet they dont get to say what products are made or when they are launched.  The difference with the KS model is that they tie the income to one product and not to a pipeline which in the end is what the developer needs to be making.  One product doesn't cover the investment and time they put in.  I look at KS as much as investing in stocks.  Dont expect an upside be happy if one happens (on time delivery etc) and instead think of your investment as a gamble to help get something you are interested in as potentially available.  At the end of the day games are entertainment not life or death and people who act entitled that it is life or death need to get their heads examined for priorities.

Con

+1000. That's pretty much exactly what KS tells people, too, so there's no reason to be surprised it works that way.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Crossroads

I have little to no knowledge of this particular KS or the people or companies behind it, but damn that was an awful read. Godspeed towards a full recovery and my prayers to him and those close to him.

As far as I know very few game franchises (talking about our groggy niche here) can support a developer as the only means to pay the rent. Most developers I know indeed have a full day job, and then dedicate a significant portion of their free time to game development. Handling deadlines etc can be stressful, but often times it is their own aspirations that give the most pressure. Seems this happened there too.

A reminder to everyone to watch for their own work/life balance, and that of their friends too. And to take a good few steps of keyboard when things get too upsetting. A walk in the park beats a internet flame war any day.

Sheesh.

:(
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY