Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

I actually am sick of the stiff springs in the cougar and have realised thst it was one of the things tsking the enjoyment out of flight simming for me all these years later. I was fighting the damned stick. What id really like is a warthog with no plastic inards that has a lighter more accurate feel than the cougar.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Redwolf

Question about modules:

If I buy the Normandy map, can I fly around in it with the F/A-18?

And if so, can I somehow take off a carrier and fly over the coast into Normandy?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on June 21, 2019, 07:10:46 AM
Question about modules:

And if so, can I somehow take off a carrier and fly over the coast into Normandy?

Yes and yes. You can mix and match assets on any map.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Redwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 21, 2019, 08:15:04 AM
Question about modules:

OK, thanks.

I mainly wasn't sure the carrier is an asset. It could have been a map feature or somehow otherwise tied to a map or location. Thanks.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on June 21, 2019, 08:25:54 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 21, 2019, 08:15:04 AM
Question about modules:

OK, thanks.

I mainly wasn't sure the carrier is an asset. It could have been a map feature or somehow otherwise tied to a map or location. Thanks.

I believe you get the carrier when you buy the hornet.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Killjoy12

Is the Harrier a decent module?  It looks like the devs have been working on updating it recently.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Killjoy12 on June 21, 2019, 03:07:55 PM
Is the Harrier a decent module?  It looks like the devs have been working on updating it recently.

Its awesome.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Redwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 21, 2019, 08:27:17 AM
I believe you get the carrier when you buy the hornet.

Yes, I have that module. I just wasn't sure whether the carrier is somehow dependent on specific maps.

Killjoy12

Thanks - I'll have to check it out with the sale!

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 21, 2019, 03:12:20 PM

Its awesome.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Killjoy12 on June 21, 2019, 03:56:30 PM
Thanks - I'll have to check it out with the sale!

Its awesome.

I encouraged Mikeck to get it and it sounds like he is loving it. Its a fantastic module that balances some digital avionics with less advanced systems so there is a little bit of a softer learning curve. its quick to learn and extremely fun to fly.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

As Jarhead said above, he recommended it as a great module for someone familiar with FC3 level play but just introduced to DCS level. I bought it and the Mirage. Next will be the F-18...mainly because I ended up finding ground attack to be more fun than I thought BUT, still want some A/A in there.

Anyway, the Harrier is great. It's well done graphically and mostly finished mechanically. Landing VTOL is tricky but short take offs are a breeze. The plane is digital enough to offer auto-flaps, modern targeting systems and such, but not overwhelmingly so. It's a very easy aircraft to fly and handles extremely well low and fast even with a substantial load. Very limited Air-air (aim-9 only) so I wish they would have modeled the Harrier 2 AV-8B+ with the radar and Aim-120 capability.

If you want air superiority, look elsewhere. But if you want air-ground missions in a platform MUCH more versatile and fun than an A-10, I recommend it. I mean C'mon....it's a HARRIER!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

Its awesome.

I want to put one BUT in here:

If you want to do a cold start (dark cockpit) you NEED to be on the Tarawa at the moment (long standing bug, not fixed). Doing it on a land base prevents the data hose to be inserted when you ask for ground power preventing the INS to align.

Otherwise its a great module.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 22, 2019, 10:40:42 AM

Its awesome.

I want to put one BUT in here:

If you want to do a cold start (dark cockpit) you NEED to be on the Tarawa at the moment (long standing bug, not fixed). Doing it on a land base prevents the data hose to be inserted when you ask for ground power preventing the INS to align.

Otherwise its a great module.

I cold start on land all the time. Not sure what you are referring to. There is an INS alignment bug, but this is easily overridden in the special options.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Killjoy12

Ok - thanks everybody!  It's hard to pass up when its 1/2 off.

Toonces

I expect to have my office/man cave/flex room/etc. finally finished with the renovation sometime week after next, which means I can set up my Obutto gaming rig and break out the HOTAS. 

I'm thinking this is the time to invest in some DCS.  I think I'm going to go with the F-14, F-5, and the Persian Gulf and Nevada maps. 

I know it's crazy I'm not getting the F/A-18....oh who am I kidding.  I'll probably get that, too. 

I believe that will set me up with plenty of things to do for the rest of the summer!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs