Defeat snatched from the hands of Victory!

Started by GJK, February 05, 2017, 09:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

What are some of your classic moments in board wargaming that you remember where you had a sure victory in the game/scenario only to find that you've lost in the final turn(s)?  I had one of those yesterday and wanted to share:

I won't go into too much detail (hopefully) but it was ASL (YES, ASL).  I needed to equal/exceed 12 vp's for the win as the Russians.  2vp's for full squads, leaders and AFV's, 1vp for HS's.  I'm sitting at 9vp on the next to last turn.  I've gotten into position to where I could advance off the map 2 squads (4 potential vp's) and one AFV (2vp's).  I'm feeling good about it.  This is a 6.5 turn game meaning I'll get the last move on what is turn 7, the Germans finish at turn 6 except for any defensive fire in turn 7 of course.

My opponent (Eric) has a squad with a LMG in position to intercept my two squads that are on one side of the map and on the other, my lend-lease Sherman tank has two German squads within 2 hexes of it and Col. Klink (a 6+1 leader) has actually entered the Sherman's hex.  His LMG could potentially first-fire on one squad and then subsequent first fire on the other so this isn't a given here-

So, first squad breaks for it and makes it to the last hexrow of the map when Eric calls his shot and rolls.  He gets an 'NMC' (normal morale check).  I need a 7 or less to pass.  I roll snakes (double "1")...Heat of Battle.  Oh shit, I'm Russian and sure enough, on the HoB roll, the squad goes beserk.  So now his movement points are bumped to 8 and he charges back at the LMG.  Eric can't stop him and he enters the hex for what would of been brutal hand-to-hand combat.  The other squad exits easily so I'm at 11vp's (of 12 needed).

The lend-lease Sherman steps on the accelerator when hapless Col. Klink decides he's going to see if he remembered to carry a panzerfaust with him.  Needs a 1, 2 or 3 on 1d6...Klink rolls a "1".  Crap.  Klink will have problems (+2) shooting the 'faust in the same hex as the Sherman (a bit intimidating I suppose).  I think we figured he needed a 7 or less and he rolls a 6 and it's a hit in the hull.  The kill# for a 'faust is 31 and I think my armor # was 11 or 12 but it didn't matter, there was no chance for survival.  Sherman up in flames, crew dead, game over needing just 1vp after a marathon nearly 10 hour gaming session. It was an absolute blast though!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer