Fleet Commander Nimitz Vassal

Started by bbmike, September 26, 2015, 11:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

The counter size is ok. It's 80x80. The image file is .png and has a pixel depth/color of 8/256. My guess is that the counters were created at a much greater pixel/color depth (probably 24/16 million or greater) and then reduced down to 8/256. That reduction would lead to the text looking like it does.

From the Vassal page:
Image Color Depth is a biggy. A 256 Color map requires 8 bits per map pixel. A 32 Color map requires 5 bits per pixel, an immediate reduction to 62.5% of the original size, before taking into account any additional saving due to larger area of the same color (which improves compression). Even reducing to a 64 color map will still reduce the size to 75%.

Obviously, there is a tradeoff between the number of colors and the 'prettiness' factor of the map. You should never consider using palettes larger than 8 bits (256 colors).

The PNG format is defined to have a minimum pixel depth of 8 bits. Even so, reducing the palette size prior to saving as a PNG will still result in a smaller image due to the compression mechanism used.

Benefit can be large for maps, or when many counters are defined.

That's why I always add text last to counters. You won't lose anything when you reduce color depth.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

GJK

I'm just wondering if the module designer shrunk down the images for the module because he could of left them at the original size and then just set the default zoom in vassal if things were too big.  Of course the module size would be larger too but by what, 10 or 20 mb? 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

JudgeDredd

VASSAL Module makes me think this is for multiplayer...so I'm guessing here - there's no AI? But it's for multiplayer or for people who can't play the huge boardgame (I should get this out again - I didn't give it a fair go.
Alba gu' brath

GJK

Yeah, basically true JD.  Initially designed as a way to digitize boardgames so that they could be played by more than one person no matter where they are located via 'live play' or 'pbem'.  However, many people use VASSAL to play solitaire when they either don't own the game (but have grabbed the rules and whatever else is needed) or if they just don't feel like messing with the actual boardgame version for whatever reason.  Pluses and minuses each way. 

I think in the case of Nimitz however, it's a solitaire game only (by design) so VASSAL facilitates in playing that game without having to fuss with the crazy stacking in zones that it uses (as I understand it).
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bbmike

Or the need for a huge gaming tabletop.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

GJK

Quote from: bbmike on October 02, 2015, 07:16:41 AM

Yup.  Or a huge monitor or at least dual monitors if you do VASSAL.  That's the downside; not being able to see the entire map at once.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

Quote from: GJK on October 02, 2015, 07:30:07 AM
Quote from: bbmike on October 02, 2015, 07:16:41 AM

Yup.  Or a huge monitor or at least dual monitors if you do VASSAL.  That's the downside; not being able to see the entire map at once.

How about a good media projector and an unadorned mancave wall?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 02, 2015, 03:23:33 AM
VASSAL Module makes me think this is for multiplayer...so I'm guessing here - there's no AI? But it's for multiplayer or for people who can't play the huge boardgame (I should get this out again - I didn't give it a fair go.

As GJK said, Fleet Commander Nimitz is a solo-only game; it's built to be solitaire. I don't know of any multi-player variants, though I wouldn't be surprised if someone with time on their hands posted rules for such a thing to this game's BGG site.

I'm going to start a new AAR on this game, using the VASSAL module: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=15345.0

PanzersEast

I know this is an really old topic, however I just sold my copy of FC Nimitz and opted for purchasing the Vassal module.  If you are considering purchasing FC Nimitz, you may want to think about the Vassal module.  The other day I got Nimitz out to play and my gosh.... the counter pushing, or should say push over is painful.  Just way to many stacks to push and keep up with (for me at least).  The setup and tear down is pretty involved as well.  A game like this is perfect for Vassal or digital format.

@Banzai_Cat
Thanks for the AAR, that really helped me being able to see the vassal product and then purchase.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: PanzersEast on January 24, 2017, 12:32:02 PM
A game like this is perfect for Vassal or digital format.

I agree, some games are just so much better in Vassal.  Particularly ones where you have multiple draw cups: Steel Wolves.  Ungainly counter stacks: Der Weltkrieg series  Small almost unreadable counter print: Looking at you Richard Berg!!!

I will still probably buy both the physical and vassal versions of this game...but that is just because I am a gaming sucker....:(
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

BanzaiCat

In this case, I'm not sure - I'd rather manipulate the stacks of cardboard pieces rather than deal with VASSAL's quirky controls for FC:N. It takes a bit getting used to.

GJK

Has somebody come up with task force holding boxes (with associated counters) for FC:N ala what Flat Top uses?  Seems that'd be pretty simple...unless of course it doesn't actually use task forces- I forget.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

BanzaiCat

Quote from: GJK on January 26, 2017, 06:55:57 PM
Has somebody come up with task force holding boxes (with associated counters) for FC:N ala what Flat Top uses?  Seems that'd be pretty simple...unless of course it doesn't actually use task forces- I forget.

It doesn't. You roll missions and move Japanese ships to fulfill each mission, until you run out of units to move. It's highly random and one of the more pervasive complaints about the game, but I happen to enjoy its randomness.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 26, 2017, 08:47:58 AM
In this case, I'm not sure - I'd rather manipulate the stacks of cardboard pieces rather than deal with VASSAL's quirky controls for FC:N. It takes a bit getting used to.

I do like doing so, but those stacks become uncontrollable and really make a mess of the board.  I guess many have other issues with the game, however that was one of my main complaints (although I am not sure how you totally get around it).  A lot of the others I could overlook.  I just thought the Vassal module would be better in this case, but maybe I will have sellers remorse....

BanzaiCat

The board should be a bit bigger with dedicated areas in each zone...units to move, moved units, that sort of thing, instead of the clutter of units moving and 'Moved' markers.