Fleet Commander Nimitz Vassal

Started by bbmike, September 26, 2015, 11:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Just noticed that Fleet Commander Nimitz for Vassal has been released! And yes I bought it.  :smitten:

And one day I'll have that gaming table...  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

Just received the download link. It is a beautiful Vassal module.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

panzerde

Nothing wrong with playing on VASSAL. There are a few games that I find I prefer to play that way, at least if I'm playing solo. A good VASSAL module has some play aids that can certainly speed things up, I find.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Staggerwing

I take it that the VASSAL mod is complete and doesn't need the printed game for rules, etc? I'd love to see some screenies of the VASSAL game components and aids.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Well, the rule book is available on DVG's website. And the Vassal module does have charts in it. Maybe I'll post some screen shots later.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Toonces

That's a good looking game.  I look forward to impressions.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Thomasew

Quote from: bbmike on September 26, 2015, 03:53:11 PM
Just received the download link. It is a beautiful Vassal module.  O0

Hi Mike,

Do you have any difficulty reading the text on the counters?, .. as it is barely legible for me (text is all broken up), .. even when zooming in.  :o

I do play at 2560x1440, .. which kinda compounds the problem, .. but, I have no problems with any of my other Vassal Modules, .. even my other DVG ones.

Cheers
Tom
He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win

bbmike

Thomasew, I'm at 1920x1080 and the text is readable. I will say that the text at the very bottom of the counters is very 'blocky' looking. Now that you mention it, you're right that the text overall doesn't look as good as other Vassal modules.  :o I'll have to investigate the font files...
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

So, it's not the font. It's the actual counters. It looks like the counters were created with a high color count then were reduced. The good news is it is fixable. The bad news is there are A LOT of counters that would have to be updated.  :-\
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

A quick edit shows what I'm talking about. The left image is the original icon. The one on the right is a quick edit I did.

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

ArizonaTank

Quote from: bbmike on September 26, 2015, 11:23:27 AM
Just noticed that Fleet Commander Nimitz for Vassal has been released! And yes I bought it.  :smitten:

And one day I'll have that gaming table...  :(

Great to hear.  Vassal is pretty much a requirement for me to buy any game.  So I will look a little more at this one.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Thomasew

Quote from: bbmike on September 29, 2015, 06:22:44 PM
A quick edit shows what I'm talking about. The left image is the original icon. The one on the right is a quick edit I did.

Hi Mike,

What did u use to improve/correct it?, .. that updated one of yours looks MUCH better ..  :smitten:

.. much friendlier to my aging eyes.  8)

I actually haven't even gotten to play FC:N since I got it, .. I found the broken text on the counters just too distracting ..  :o , .. even when I don't necessarily need to read it.

The Maps and Charts etc., are fine, .. even the Ship counters I can kinda live with, .. but the smaller square counters are freaking me out ..  :o

.. and thanks for confirming that the text is broken for you as well.  :)

Cheers
Tom

bbmike

Tom, I used an old copy of Paint Shop Pro that I have. One thing I've learned about creating Vassal modules is that you should place text on the counters after you reduce the color count. It really should be the last step. Also, the font choice makes a big difference. I might consider doing a graphics mod for this but the amount of work would be HUGE!
I wonder if someone at DVG (the module's author?) would do it?
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

GJK

Why did the counters need to be shrunk down in the first place?  What size were the originals?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Thomasew

Quote from: GJK on September 30, 2015, 09:00:01 AM
Why did the counters need to be shrunk down in the first place?  What size were the originals?

Hi Gary,

I don't think the counters were shrunk, .. as, looking at a pdf of the counter sheets for the boxed game, .. the sizes look the same to me.

.. but, even on the original counters, .. the font is extremely small, .. and not easily readable, .. but they are legible.

I have a good idea who did the FC:N Vassal Module, .. and I know he scans at low res (e.g. 8 bit) etc., .. in order to keep the file sizes down. Normally the text is ok, but in this case, it didn't work so well, .. as the source material i.e. fonts on counters, .. was not easy to read in the first place. So, scanning them at 8-bit etc., just compounded the problem.

It would probably require that all the counters be re-scanned, .. but, as bbmike suggested .. it would be a HUGE amount of work.  :o

I haven't played the game yet, .. boxed or Vassal .. so say whether or not, the illegible text on the counters, .. will impede gameplay in any way.  ???

Cheers
Tom