Main Menu

X4 Foundations

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2017, 02:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

For me, the X3 hurdle had to do with the UI and working with AI scripts, etc. It was a very deep and complex game if you wanted to get the most out of it. Unfortunately for me, I could never do more than some light trading and combat. It was always a dream of mine to build up a great mercantile empire though...maybe my dream will come true in X4?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Millipede

Okay, you guys have convinced me to give X3 another try. Which version should I install between "Reunion" and "Terran Conflict" or is there another version that I should track down?

mbar

Albion Prelude is supposed to be the latest version of X3

Millipede

Quote from: mbar on October 04, 2018, 12:52:10 PM
Albion Prelude is supposed to be the latest version of X3
Thanks, I'll look around for "Albion Prelude" but is there a particular version of X3 that is preferred over all?

Jarhead0331

There have been fairly consistent updates for both Albion Prelude and Terran Conflict over the last year or two...although aging, they are still being supported.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

My impression is that both AP and TC are considered pretty equivalent in quality, but just different in 'timeframe' settings.

Edited to add that AP is set later than TC (I think).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

I'm very optimistic for this one.  Egosoft have a proven record and I don't think anyone else is better at creating huge, deep, immersive space sims.  Rebirth was just a blip; they wanted to do something different, and it wasn't what the audience wanted (not the vocal part anyway).  Personally I liked Rebirth.

With X4 they seem to be doing everything right - with the exception of excluding the Boron, what the hell?!

This might be a day one for me.

mbar

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 05, 2018, 02:54:42 AM
This might be a day one for me.

Almost for me. I liked X-Rebirth just fine from the beginning of release. However I'm older now and I'm leery of a Friday release day.

Rayfer

Like Huw and mbar....I liked X-Rebirth. Had quite few fun hours playing it.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

PanzersEast

Huw the Poo

I'm strongly tempted to watch good ol' ObsidianAnt play, but I want my first experience to be as surprising as possible.

This is awful timing as I'm right in the middle of my Christmas shopping and I want the collector's edition.  Maybe if I don't eat for a week....

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

PanzersEast

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 29, 2018, 03:34:14 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 29, 2018, 03:25:43 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 29, 2018, 03:18:50 PM
Release is tomorrow...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/392160/X4_Foundations/

I'm all set.... ObsidianAnt has been streaming the game pre-launch.....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiq6FTXiFKQm-wqMuRijgA

Any impressions from what you've seen streamed?

Very early on in the game, however I like what I have seen so far.  It appears to run smoothly with no noticeable bugs thus far.  Different ships with cockpits.... he landed on a capital ship and walked around the bridge.  He has also done some trading runs and it appears the menu system is a lot more refined this time around.  The component upgrade is nice as it shows your ship and the visual modular add.  Seems like a lot of the generic communication with the NPCs.  The small ships he has had are one cockpit with a teleporter on board, so you can teleport back to your ship anytime.  No minning thus far as he does not have a ship to do it.    Space travel is quicker, he also did a couple of space walks.....  I would say if you are on the fence I would recommend a wait and see, because the meat of the game is later on after you build up your capital fleet, stations etc.... and he is early in.  One thing I did hear is you will not be able to take over sectors in the game..... however I hope this is modded and believe it will be. 

So far it is looking good.....

Geezer

He is still streaming on Youtube now, at the time of this post.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw