Red Dead Redemption 2

Started by mirth, May 02, 2018, 01:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

https://www.polygon.com/red-dead-redemption-2-guide/2018/10/25/18014854/beginners-guide-tips

I don't have any consoles so I'm hoping that they will release this one on PC this time next year.

MikeGER

so how is the word after 2 weeks by those Grogs who have it?

i like the western theme very much and i am so tempted to even considering getting an xbox x just for RDR2,
(ok, it may get a PC release, but that will take many many month from now and falls probably not in the start of the bad 'n cold weather season, when i am in the mood for indoor activity and have the time to immerse deep into an open world game)

but i am wondering how good aiming in those gunfights, i have seen in the Let's play i follow atm, can be done with a controller? ... i am sooo used to a mouse :-[

Yskonyn

Aiming in GTA and RDR 1 always incorporates a 'snap to target' or 'aim assist' feature. In fact, most console games do.
So yes, aiming and prosecuting targets in these games is quite intuitive and doable!  O0
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Aiming an such, is not a big issue, works well with a controller.  However, there are a lot of controls with dials and various buttons that does taken some getting used to.  I haven't gotten very far yet, real life got in the way, plus it does have some kind of nasty bug where you can miss part of the story quests so I am waiting for the first patch to drop.  But with all that said, gorgeous game and very much worth it in my opinion, but I do know others don't feel the same way.

As for PC release, I suspect it will come some day but no official announcement yet, likely will wait until after the holidays until everyone has already bought a console version and then they can get PC gamers to buy it twice:)  I think for GTA it came out a year or so after the console.

JudgeDredd

I've just started playing this (after just completing RDR1) and I can say it's damn good. Lots and lots of beautiful country. Great movement. Superb cinematics. Lots and lots of missions. And so far at least, a damn good story to boot.

As for aiming, I am a huge fan of keyboard and mouse and nothing else comes close, but I had huge skepticism when I got my PS4 and I'm pleased to say it's alot better than I had thought. I now own God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Spiderman, along with Madden NFL (which is why I wanted a PS4) and a baseball game.

Gaming has just went up a notch since I got my PS4. Happy days.

Back to RDR2 - it looks like it'll be worth every penny of my £60
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

THX for your insights, JD  :)

W8taminute

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 19, 2018, 07:54:29 AM
Gaming has just went up a notch since I got my PS4. Happy days.

Awesome.  You've stepped through a passage into another gaming universe.   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Yskonyn

I got this for my birthday and have played a few hours now. I am about three missions into Chapter 2.
Thoroughly engrossing experience so far!
It like playing in an interactive old west film and I am glad to see that thegame gives you all the time you want to do your own thing; that makes it feel more like an old west simulator at times than an action game. The pacing might be glacial for the more action oriented folks, but I don't mind it at all.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

I am only at 16% story progression, but its already firmly placed at my game of the year spot!

The attention to detail, the livelyness of the world and the natural way of people interacting with you are just amazing!
On the NPC interaction:
People who want no business with you usually give you one or two warnings before resorting to violence, giving you ample time to decide you might want to go a different direction. You can also try to calm people down or antagonize them even more.
People greet and smalltalk. It all feels very natural and what I like most about this is that so far the game never feels like you're running into a zone where stock enemies are located like in so many other action games. The action flows very naturally in this game and most of the time you can either take action to avoid it or you'll see it clearly coming. Very impressive.

I was never one for mini games like collections, grooming and what not, but hunting to replenish camp provisions, doing bounty hunts and snitching wagons for sale at the black market is super fun.

Then there is the world! Oh my!
There is deep snow which leaves marks accurately (footsteps as well as items thrown into it or bodies), mud is exactly the same. It also makes your clothes dirty and your horse needs a bath after ploughing through deep mud.
Wildlife is everywhere (more than 200 different species!) and dynamic weather effects and a day and night cycle further enhance the realism of the world.

The towns all have a different flavour as well, ranging from small frontier settlements to industrialised small cities (Saint Denis is truely a work of art!)

So many great views to be seen and so many great adventures to be had!
Every time I need to close the game I feel dissapointed because I know my playtime is limited and it'll take a while before I can play again!

JasonPratt

Hopefully the Undead Nightmare prequel will be released and polished before it comes to PC.  >:D

(I'll note aside from the joke, that I mostly liked RDR1, and might seriously have liked its extended alternate ending zombie apocalypse even more -- and I don't even care for most zombie games!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Elvis

I bought this for myself for xmas and have been getting in an hour here and an hour there when I can. It is console game that moves at my speed......But that's not why I'm posting today folks. I'm post because I assume most people who read this will have played the game some (no, not a spoiler) and understand what I'm talking about.....

My 17 year old son is a console and PC game freak as many kids his age are. He's sat near me while playing and during the 2nd straight snow day yesterday I told he should try it if he wants. A couple of hours later I walk in and he's into it...and he's where it got funny and weird.....He apparently decided that he wanted to see how well he could do without using guns...not as a political statement but as a believe me when I tell you my son marches to his own beat statement.... So, he was running through missions killing people with his knife. And he was doing better than I did using a gun. It was crazy to watch. Them he got really twisted (I should look into a different therapist for him). Ya know how you are riding along a path and other people randomly pass you? He started lassoing perfect strangers who have nothing to do with the story and dragging them into the nearest river. I know it's sick but I got a hoot out of watching him do it.

Extra bonus story that few will get: I am a HUGE Howard Stern fan. The show is like a religion for me. One of his producers, Memet, has had discussions about the game on the show. From those sound drops of Memet saying "I'm a cowboy" and "I'm a bad cowboy" were pulled and are played frequently. My son also listens to the show and while he was playing yesterday I kept saying "I'm a bad cowboy" and he kept replying "I may be a bad cowboy but I'm a great pirate". It's become such a popular voice drop that someone started selling T-shirts with it. https://www.amazon.com/IM-BAD-COWBOY-MEMET-TSHIRT/dp/B07KH285ZJ?customId=B07535YQ5X&th=1&psc=1

$20?.......I think I'm gonna order one for my kid....

em2nought

Speaking of bad cowboys, with recent news it's now all but certain John Wayne's voice as DLC will never be available for RDR2.  :'(  Maybe they could still get Sam Elliott, I don't think he can be held responsible for his memes?   :2funny:
Stolen elections have consequences.

Pete Dero

Coming to a PC near you :

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/61153/Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Coming-to-PC-November-5th

Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC will also be available to pre-order at the Epic Games store, Greenman Gaming, the Humble Store, GameStop and additional digital retailers starting October 23rd with a pre-order bonus of 25 Gold Bars for Red Dead Online. Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC will also be available to purchase on Steam this December.

JasonPratt

I'll definitely consider it, although I'm more looking forward to the new Spiderman game being ported (in an ultimate edition with all DLC stories).

I played RDR1 through to completion, plus the Undead Nightmare (which fits very surprisingly well as an alternate canon final campaign before the end of the first game). But while I liked it a lot for the gameplay and aesthetics, I'm not all that big a fan of grungy morally-grey storylines being foisted on me in games. I tolerated that in the first game, because there was room for some nuance occasionally, but the prequel seems like it's going to be much worse.  :buck2: (This is also why I can't ever get into GTA and its ilk.)

That's a personal and possibly just an aesthetic quibble, I realize.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!