What were the earliest video games you played?

Started by Greybriar, August 18, 2018, 12:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

This is the first game system I remember in my house:

Quote from: steve58 on August 18, 2018, 03:19:21 PM
One of the earliest I can remember was a version of Star Trek on the university mainframe.  It looked something like:

I can type about 80wpm today, and I attribute that not to typing classes, but near-constant BASIC program typing. I spent hours typing games in to play them, and it honed my skills pretty well. One of my books had this Star Trek game in it, and it was the bane of my existence as I never could get it to work right. :(

DoctorQuest

^Well FWIW there is a Windows version of the game that was updated for newer OSs. The doc still talks it about being shareware but I'm not so sure.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wintrek/

YMMV
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

mikeck

I think the first games that I played a lot (all were on the greatest gaming system in history: the Commodore 64) were The old Microprose games. My first was "F-15 Strike Eagle". Also played "Jet" where you could fly the F-16 or F-18. Then moved into "Gunship". My favorites came out in 1986 with "Pirates!" And - especially- "F-19 Stealth Fighter". That game is- to this day- my favorite of all time.

Also played "Elite" and "Raid over Moscow"
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

Quote from: mikeck on August 19, 2018, 03:52:10 PM
I think the first games that I played a lot (all were on the greatest gaming system in history: the Commodore 64) were The old Microprose games. My first was "F-15 Strike Eagle". Also played "Jet" where you could fly the F-16 or F-18. Then moved into "Gunship". My favorites came out in 1986 with "Pirates!" And - especially- "F-19 Stealth Fighter". That game is- to this day- my favorite of all time.

Also played "Elite" and "Raid over Moscow"

+1

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Staggerwing

Quote from: steve58 on August 19, 2018, 11:30:48 AM
Ha, just stumbled on the C64 Mini.  Looks like its about $80.

It's 1982 and a new home computer graces the scene. Out goes the silent black and white experience and in with 64KB of RAM, colour graphics, and synthesizer sound.

Roll forward 35 years and kick nostalgia into overdrive with the release of THEC64 Mini. A tiny but perfectly formed 50% scale replica of this much loved machine.

Featuring high-definition output via HDMI, a classic style joystick and 64 built-in games including classics like Uridium, Paradroid, Hawkeye, Nebulus and Monty Mole.

https://thec64.com/

It's already out in Europe in 50hz config. The NA 60hz version goes on sale early october. I have one of the latter on preorder.

Supposedly there is a firmware update due out that will allow you to save a number of commodore game images on a usb stick. Currently, the stick can only hold 1 game at a time because the game file has to have a specific  name to be recognized.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

After the C64, we had first an Amiga 500 followed by an Amiga 600HD which had a 20Mb HD!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Why on earth would you ever need more than 20 megs of ram?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

The very first one for me was Tele-Games Super Pong IV. Atari made them for Sears. My dad bought it for us for Christmas in 1975. I remember how we thought it was the greatest thing and played it for hours and hours.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Gusington

My Amiga was the 500 with the 1MB RAM expansion :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

The first video game I ever played was Pong over at my friends house on his brand new Atari system.  I still remember that feeling I experienced seeing a video game for the first time and indeed this was the first video game I believe to exist.  I couldn't believe technology like that was possible.  I wonder if this feeling I had was the same thing people were saying when the automobile first came out.

Today I've got video games coming out of my ears.  One can go online and play Call of Duty (or any FPS) or fire up a grand strategic game in single player. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Gusington on August 19, 2018, 07:58:21 PM
My Amiga was the 500 with the 1MB RAM expansion :)

Slightly off-topic: The first mainframe I worked on had a 512K expansion frame the size of a refrigerator. You guys are spoiled...... And I am old.

Sir Slash

My first monitor for my C-64 was a 15 inch monochrome monitor. My second was a 21 inch color TV. Played the whole Gold Box series on it.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bob48

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 19, 2018, 06:17:31 PM
Why on earth would you ever need more than 20 megs of ram?

Yeah, a bit over the top, especially since it also had a 3.1/2 floppy drive. We upgraded ours with an internal 1Mg RAM chip as well. How's that for hi-tech?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!