Origins 2018 ~ June 13-17 (Columbus OH)

Started by bayonetbrant, June 21, 2017, 07:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Cyrano

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Cyrano

I had heard of him through the Sad Puppies silliness -- Mirth, were you aware there still was a Hugo award? -- and through Savage Worlds.

I was surprised to see him on the list and figured to let my son take his works for a spin and tell me if they're any good.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mirth

In 2017, I drove 13 hours each way and burned 5 days of PTO to meet and hang out with the people from GH. If I go again, it will be for the same reasons.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

@Cyrano I am aware there is still a Hugo award. Can't say I have really cared.

MikeGER

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 14, 2018, 01:49:10 PM
Guests of honor announced

http://originsgamefair.com/guests/

i thought Jason Rimmer from the UK could have been a guest of honor this year  :-\

Intel:  http://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.uk/p/blog-page.html
(more active on The Matrix forum he is accredited here as TacticalWargames as well)

A well known, illuster, sometimes mooted, person from the global wargaming community and founder of the "A Wargamers Needful Things " blog/review side. Actual also busy with small in house PC game development, so the rumors

I remember he once mentioned he would love so much to go to Origin once, but lacking the funds
(....well like most of possible Origin-visitors from this side of the pond, Yours truly included ;-), so no shame on that)

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on May 14, 2018, 09:48:26 PM
In 2017, I drove 13 hours each way and burned 5 days of PTO to meet and hang out with the people from GH. If I go again, it will be for the same reasons.

This year we can reserve a table and play Munchkin at Fort Kickass!  :buck2:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

GAMA has now had to pull down the post listing the Guests of Honor because of all the vitriol about the Correia dis-inviting.

They'd already shut down the reviews of Origins because dueling internet flash mobs were bombing their ratings, first for inviting him, and then for rescinding the invitation.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TacticalWargames

I'm so happy and feel honoured after reading MikeGer post and email he sent. Really took me by surprise.

Any credit should go to the team and to Bob. Without them AWNT would be no more!

Thanks

TacticalWargames

Also,yes, I'd love to be able to finally sit down and talk to Groghead crew.

Oh I do doubt that AWNT is even known amongst many let alone Origins to be even considered as a guest let alone even know me. Lovely thought though!

One last thing, what's an Illuster?

airboy

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 15, 2018, 05:22:03 AM
GAMA has now had to pull down the post listing the Guests of Honor because of all the vitriol about the Correia dis-inviting.

They'd already shut down the reviews of Origins because dueling internet flash mobs were bombing their ratings, first for inviting him, and then for rescinding the invitation.

What an asshat decision.  Inviting a guest of honor and then did-inviting them.  Larry has very strong points of view which he posts on his blog, but he is as polite of an individual as you could ask for.  Larry is also about 6-6 and 325 so it is doubtful that anyone would mess with him.

Larry does not get along with Social Justice Warriors.  The latest blow-up between the two camps was an awful, libelous charge made against John Ringo that lost his invitation to Carolinas Con.  John had an attorney send a cease and desist letter to a particularly scummy group on the internet.  The "charges" against Ringo at a Convention were utterly rejected by that Con and the website scrubbed all of the charges against Ringo.  It seems like the same scummy SJW crowd worked to get Larry disinvited to Origins.  As a result, I'm even less happy with the Origins organizers than I was before.

I have a copy of all of Larry's books.  He has a couple of series: Monster Hunter International; Hard Magic; and a Sword & Sorcery series I'm less enamored of.

I'm quite irritated by this because I bought an extra copy of a hardback book to have signed for one of my brothers for a Christmas present.

airboy

This is Larry's response on Facebook:

So I'm no longer the writer guest of honor at Origins. My invitation has been revoked. It was the usual nonsense. Right after I was announced as a guest some people started throwing a temper tantrum about my alleged racist/sexist/homophobic/whatever (of course, with zero proof or actual examples), and the guy in charge (John Ward) immediately folded. He didn't even talk to me first. He just accepted the slander and gave me the boot in an email that talked about how "inclusive" they are. I actually heard about it on facebook before I even saw the email.

Oh well.

They did this to John Ringo at ConCarolinas a little while ago, and took a lesson from it. This is just another new way for bullies to target people who disagree with them. Throw a fit, make up some accusations, and cry about how you feel unsafe. Now that they know it works, it is just another tool in their tool box.
For the record, I'm not any of the things they accuse me of. Despite writing a whole bunch of books, and a ton of political articles, and all of my many personal interactions with fans (I've done up to 15 cons and events in one year), none of these people can ever find any actual examples of me being sexist, racist, or homophobic (and the Guardian looked hard and still came up with nothing).

That's because in reality, I'm a libertarian who does not give a shit who you are, or what you do, and it is none of my business, as long as you stay off my lawn. 🙂
This time they kept calling me a "rape apologist". They dug up that classic that John Scalzi created about me several years ago. It's total nonsense. I spent many years teaching self defense to women, and I'm all in favor of every rape attempt ending with the rapist receiving a couple hollow points to the chest. But that just goes to show the power of lies, rumor, and narrative.

So years later, complete strangers come out of the woodwork to talk about how evil I am. Yeah... That does get tiresome. It is wearying.

I'm really sorry for any fans who were planning on seeing me at Origins. Hopefully I'll get to meet you at some other event.
For me personally, meh. I go to enough events. I'll just do something else fun that weekend.

The saddest person in all of this is my son, who was my plus one. He was looking forward to playing a bunch of games, and then we were going to go to the zoo on Sunday. (They have manatees there!).

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on May 15, 2018, 09:23:51 AMAs a result, I'm even less happy with the Origins organizers than I was before.

I think the GAMA board, not the employees who run the show, had more to do with this than anything

Either way, it's not a good look, and it's exploding online everywhere today.

We are staying out of it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

It's sad that this BS is seeping into a convention that's about playing games and not politics or safe spaces.

airboy

The more I think about this the angrier I get.

Larry Correia is one of the few authors who is a hard core gamer.  He plays online games, electronic RPGs, tabletop RPGs (with his kids), paints mineatures and games at conventions.  He even has had charity auctions to play an RPG with him.  Larry & Jim Butcher are the two reasonably well known authors who actually game.

And then the Origins leadership asks him to be an author guest of honor.  Great idea!  He actually is active in the hobby and can speak intelligently about it.

Then the asshat leaderhip of Origins turns around in 24 hours and "disinvites" Larry.

I've got Ward's mailing address and I'm strongly considering writing him a physical letter.  This was a horrible boneheaded move on his part.