Origins 2018 ~ June 13-17 (Columbus OH)

Started by bayonetbrant, June 21, 2017, 07:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on May 03, 2018, 03:14:30 PM
I did not get every single event that I wanted, but I got most of what I hoped to get.

that probably would've happened even if it all worked perfectly
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 03, 2018, 03:15:17 PM
Quote from: airboy on May 03, 2018, 03:14:30 PM
I did not get every single event that I wanted, but I got most of what I hoped to get.

that probably would've happened even if it all worked perfectly

Agreed.  I don't expect to get everything and I got most of everything I hoped to get.

I spent probably 20 hours going through all of the events before registration opened.  I figured out what my most wanted events were and then had lots of backups.  I also cut out everything I had no interest in, which left me with a mere 500 or so events that could have at least been ok up to "sounds awesome!"

I've got 7 Call of Cthulhu.
1 Dungeon Crawl Classics
1 Savage Worlds - I'm hoping that Larry Correia is running this one.  It is in the new Monster Hunter variant of Savage Worlds.
1 Ogre (Steve Jackson)
2 Other Tabletop games

On the Call of Cthulhu side, I'm happy with the games.  They were either ones that sounded the absolute best, or they were ones run by people who I know run a good game.

airboy

Origins Apology & Explanation Email - what I got as an ordinary user.

Last week we opened our event registration portal for Origins 2018 and the system failed, causing many attendees setbacks in building their itinerary for the show.
What happened with event registration is inexcusable and we want to be transparent with what we saw:
•   Several website plug-ins broke, resulting in a 500 Server Error
•   Our website was not moved from a shared server, and it crashed
•   Events were dropped from the portal and had to be added again after registration went live
•   Our event registration portal was placed on a shared server and was not moved before it went live
Much like our hotel contracts, plans for the registration process are made one year or more in advance. Bottom line is, when we planned our contracts we did not predict the show would see this amount of growth. It has been amazing seeing the number of attendees increase each year at Origins, so we need systems in place to keep up with the growth. 
We are committed to providing you with an all-around great experience while keeping cost down for attendees. So, where do we go from here?
Last year we invested in event registration on-site, incorporating more machines and cutting the registration line time to just 22 minutes! We are doing this again, giving you more time to play games and enjoy the show.
Website updates are in the works—server support, website design, and content development. Plans for modifying our registration system are happening based on the comments you shared online and through the survey sent out last week. As a nonprofit organization, we need to be fiscally conscientious of our investments—this means things may take more time, but the outcome will be worth it.

mirth

^that's the IT equivalent of, "Phhhhhbttth!!"
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

^And next year's equivalent of, 'hold my beer'.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

I've had my share of IT disasters, but nothing quite on par with Origins 2018....yet.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on May 08, 2018, 06:46:34 PM
I've had my share of IT disasters, but nothing quite on par with Origins 2018....yet.

Origins 2016
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 08, 2018, 06:58:23 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 08, 2018, 06:46:34 PM

Origins 2016

Impressive...most impressive.

bayonetbrant

So this year we're going to arrange the space so that we have an open gaming table for other games in our area

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Open Gaming Table!

Sometimes you just want to sit down with some friends and play your own game, or show off something in progress for others to ogle.  Rather than struggle to find a spot in the back corner of the hall, or pay extra to set up in the Board Room, we've got a Grog-friendly gaming table for folks who want to play their own games while hanging out with the Cool Kids™ at Ft Kickass.

How does it work?

We've got 4-hour blocks that you can sign up for at the show (9a-1p, 2-6p, 7-11p), and that table is yours for those 4 hours, plus the cleanup time to clear off for the next group to come in.

The rules (such that they are):

• You cannot charge for anyone to play at the open gaming table, whether tokens, cash, pizza slices, or gold bullion.
  • You cannot sell anything at the open gaming table.  This is strictly for gaming, not for trying to circumvent the vendor restrictions about selling games without a booth.  Don't sell anything, advertise a website to buy anything, or tell folks to meet you at 4th and High St to score a copy of anything.
  • Sign-ups will run out approximately 24 hours.  No showing up on Wednesday and booking Saturday and Sunday before anyone else can get there.
  • You cannot book back-to-back sessions to stretch out your playing time.  The point is to let a lot of people get a bunch of different games on the table.  If you book the last session of the day, and our guys are still manning the booth for late-night gaming, you're welcome to stay until we close up shop, but you have to tear down to be ready for the next game in the morning.
  • You cannot interfere with any other events on the other tables.
  • You have to have taken a shower within the past 24 hours.
Just come find us on Wednesday, and we'll start signing folks up!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We'll open that table up starting with the mid-day slot on Wednesday, and then start adding folks from there thru Sunday morning.

bayonetbrant

airboy

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 14, 2018, 01:49:10 PM
Guests of honor announced

http://originsgamefair.com/guests/

I thought Larry Correia would be a guest of honor.  I'm taking a couple of my books for him to sign.  He will also probably game a lot.  Perhaps the Savage Worlds will also be releasing the Monster Hunter rules edition.

bayonetbrant

Cyrano

So.

Dumb.

As if his presence at a con of this size would have harmed anyone.

Curious to see what GenCon will do as PegInc prepares to launch the Monster Hunters game for "Savage Worlds".

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mirth

There are guests of honor at Origins? I guess I should have cared last year.

bayonetbrant

I am honestly curious how many of the people who claimed they would or would not attend based on Larry's presence or absence would have actually attended or not if his guest of honor status had never been offered, rescinded, discussed, or considered