Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 21, 2018, 11:31:51 AM
Blind criticism of the HOI series irritates me almost as much as those who always attack Total War. I mean, what other games out there accomplish what these series do, with as much style and panache? The answer is NONE. So it seems to me that the people who avoid these titles because the AI "is shite" are really just cutting their noses off to spite their faces.
An accurate and depressing summary.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

jamus34

I will say I prefer the way the air war was implemented in 3.
Insert witty comment here.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Me too.  I think I prefer just about every aspect of III over IV except for the micromanagement required to build effective command structure hierarchies and the way the AI handled the Pacific Theatre.

fabius

Oh no, the Air management is way better in 4.
In 3 you could destroy whole divisions with CAS attacks alone. The new Air Region mechanics makes air power very potent but not so OP.

Also found managing the Air counters in 3 very micro. But not the OOB after setting it up. There's a wide spread of how tastes differ on some of the details.

RyanE

"It is not a simulation of WW2 like WitE and WitW."

Funny, I stopped reading the forums on those games because of the constant and years-long complaining about the AI and the game.  So I have to assume there isn't a single strategic WW2 game that is playable.

Ian C

Quote from: RyanE on May 21, 2018, 07:12:23 PM
So I have to assume there isn't a single strategic WW2 game that is playable.

ETO only, but this one has never disappointed me.

http://www.slitherine.com/products/product.asp?gid=344

also note:
Gamers who already own Commander – Europe at War do not need to purchase Commander – Europe at War Gold.  Instead, just download and install the free v1.12 update from the Matrix Games downloads page and you'll be upgraded to the Gold level.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Ian C on May 22, 2018, 03:57:45 AM
So I have to assume there isn't a single strategic WW2 game that is playable.

ETO only, but this one has never disappointed me.

http://www.slitherine.com/products/product.asp?gid=344

also note:
Gamers who already own Commander – Europe at War do not need to purchase Commander – Europe at War Gold.  Instead, just download and install the free v1.12 update from the Matrix Games downloads page and you'll be upgraded to the Gold level.

I don'f feel you can compare this to HOI4.  Commander - Europe at War is one of the light strategy games.

RyanE

Quote from: fabius on May 21, 2018, 04:30:21 PM
There's a wide spread of how tastes differ on some of the details.

To me that is the crux of the issue.  Some people don't like the way the game does things, flaws or not, and those people tend to be much for vocal about it on forums.  Every game's forums, after a period time, look like a crap-fest.  The majority of people posting are doing nothing but complaining or pointing out perceived errors.  Frankly, when a forum is mostly positive, it seems to lose credibility as a valid source of game information.  But on the other side, someone interested in a game quickly gets turned off with all the complaining.

The internet has ruined gaming...well, almost.

Ian C

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 22, 2018, 04:01:42 AM

I don'f feel you can compare this to HOI4.  Commander - Europe at War is one of the light strategy games.

I'm not comparing it to HOI4. I'm saying it's the only WW2 strategic gaming experience that has never let me down or needed anything new to make it fun.

Ian C

More on the next expansion. Some interesting ideas being thrown around.

QuoteMan the Guns will focus on naval warfare primarily but also redoing UK and USA and giving them more fun options. There will also be other new focuses but those are secret for now. We will also be adding fuel to the game which a lot of people were very excited to hear about at pdxcon :)

The UK and US revamps we plan to handle the same way we did Germany and Japan, e.g the changed trees and historical path in the 1.6 'Ironclad' update and the new alt-history paths (despite my perhaps not so subtle hints people have figured out that there is going to be the possibility of a 2nd american civil war among other cool things).

As for the themes we decided to go with naval for several reasons. One, that it fits very well with USA (and they were on the top of our list of nations we felt needed more fun gameplay). Secondly we have already done big changes to both land and air in previous expansions and updates so it was time for the 3rd type of warfare to get its time in the spotlights. Its also currently in my opinion the weakest part of HOI and something we really want to make shine.

We are currently very early in development so things may change, but here are some things mentioned we are aiming to do (in expansion or free update or mixed):
- Ship design and the ability to refit older ships and keep things up to date
- Naval Terrain: different seas will behave differently and suit different ships and fleet compositions
- Revamped naval combat
- Fleets split up into task forces for better control
- New naval spotting system
- Ability to control naval routes and block areas you dont want units to travel through
- Fuel, obviously going to be a massive balance job for us and a big gameplay change for you :)
- Gameplay rules, particularly to help multiplayer groups out when it comes to manage their games
- of course other stuff as well. to be revealed in the future.

We don't have a release date yet, and most of the above is still subject to change because we are are still early. I really wanted to talk as much as possible about what we are up to at pdxcon though :) Hopefully I will see more of you next year there!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-man-the-guns-and-pdxcon.1100177/

glen55

That all sounds magnificent. It will probably be a gargantuan cluster-relationship when it rolls out the door, but I'm really interested in seeing what 1.6.3 or so plays like.

Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

JasonPratt

What is this? A relatively sober entry from iSorrow?!

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FarAway Sooner

"It is not a simulation of WW2 like WitE and WitW."

Funny, I stopped reading the forums on those games because of the constant and years-long complaining about the AI and the game.  So I have to assume there isn't a single strategic WW2 game that is playable.
Honestly, the best "whole WW 2 strategic level" game I've found yet is Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided.  The AI isn't great, but turning on Fog of War can do a lot to mask that.  And the game is a nice mix of accessible but deep (by Grigsby's standards, anyways...).

princedon

the most authentic feeling when it comes to fighting wars. It helps you think and develop your strategizing techniques. This game has many resources provided that is aimed at ensuring that you win the war against your opponents. Even so, victory is never a guarantee and especially when you lack these resources and to a greater extent the workforce. https://www.xavixstore.com/hoi4-console-commands/