New Feature! Dragon' Up The Past

Started by bayonetbrant, October 27, 2017, 05:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatricvs

Actually really enjoying this blast from the past. Used to be into role play in the very early eighties and used to buy the infrequent copy of Dragon from Bristol in England, only ever had a few issues but I was an aspiring DM at that time and really loved the magazine. Probably bought through to about '84 I guess...hoping to see some editions that I used to own so that I can reminisce about all those good times. Keep up the good work, well worth looking at and listening to.

Jack Nastyface

Laugh as you may at "Condensed Combat"...but didn't the D&D system at the time kind of promote this kind of minutia and attention to infinite detail?  I mean...look at the weapons list, by G-d.  How many of us, before reading a D&D (or advanced Melee) rule book, even knew what an aklys, bardiche, ranseur, Bohemian Ear-spoon, or voulge was?  I remember having to plow through the massive World Book Dictionary in the school library just to figure out what some of these were, only because (of course) some of our D&D group INSISTED on playing with these strange weapons.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

MetalDog

Being knee deep in those rulebooks actually came in handy the other night.  A new face to our bi-monthly D&D sessions imagined the weapon the monster was wielding as having a wavy blade and I knew immediately the word he was searching for, kris.  He got it before me, but, I wouldn't have had a chance at it if not for D&D.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Emeraldlis

I think the joke was pointing at the irony of the rules NOT being being condensed  :DD I don't think the joke was about the information , or the relevance of the rules :)

I thought the irony of it all was hilarious, I thought the absurdity of calling the rules condensed..... When they quite clearly weren't, was really funny..... I was laughing right along with you guys  :DD

I'm sure the rules are still very relevant  O0
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Cyrano

It's interesting, I was never edged-weapon obsessed enough to care about the statistical difference between a falchion and a broadsword.  I am keenly aware, however, that many were and from the oldest days of D&D it sought to feed that particular Frankenstein.  I observe in passing, though, that I did spend many an hour debating why you couldn't swing a bastard sword in a 10-foot-wide hallway.

Esmeraldis is correct, though, that, for me the humor is ultimately in calling something that looked like that "condensed".  Whether or not it objectively was smaller than what proceeded it, it certainly did not look or feel that way...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Emeraldlis

Nice to see a magazine featured from the 90's :)  And god bless those TSR guys for not giving up on Buck Rogers   O:-)  Also that whole 90's lemming phase was very weird, lol, I never got on board with that craze, but some kids at my high-school loved it  :o

I was convinced that Bryan Adams song, everything I do (I do it for you), was going to be the hit song in '91.... I think It ran for about 16 weeks in the UK charts as a number one smash hit! I was yelling out the answer to... Uhm.... My phone screen  ;D I was gutted that I was a week or two out, never would have guessed Gloria estafan, rush, rush, for being number 1 at the beginning of July '91.   But then I was also convinced that Robin Hood prince of theives, with Kevin Costner, was the number one movie...... So wha' do I know  ::)  you got me thinking with those ones Cyrano  O0

And.... You could have had a short episode, if it was a short episode... Omg  :DD  I actually choked on what I was eating...... Which was a lot better than the week before last, when I was laughing so much, dropped my phone in a bowl of stew  ::)  hahahahahaha  ;D Can I sue for damages, lol, I was cleaning that mess up for a good 5 minutes  :hide: or maybe at the very least you could flash a warning up, an "hilarity is about to ensue" notification.... That would be just great  :bd:

I love the fact that the magazine features short stories. I thought that whole section about the princess ark looked very entertaining. Looks like a cool game to get involved in :) And I'm not really into tanks, but I thought all of that information on tanks was very interesting..... Scary, but interesting  :)  I now know if I'm ever looking at a hostile tank heading my way.... Shoot out the treads!!!!! And you had to explain crunchies..... Crunching through a tread, ewwwwwwww! Thanks for that Brant, lol.

I also thought the orcs nest pin was very cool, and the story behind it.   8)  I like collectable pins, I'm a very nerdy pin person!!!!

Anyway, well done guys  O0 a very entertaining show again :)  now, then, where can I get my hands on a buck Rogers boardgame from '91????? I feel a quest coming on to find one  :D
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Emeraldlis on December 08, 2017, 12:11:43 PMnever would have guessed Gloria estafan, rush, rush, for being number 1 at the beginning of July '91. 

good thing, b/c it was Paula Abdul, not Gloria Estefan   ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Emeraldlis

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 08, 2017, 01:18:41 PM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on December 08, 2017, 12:11:43 PMnever would have guessed Gloria estafan, rush, rush, for being number 1 at the beginning of July '91. 

good thing, b/c it was Paula Abdul, not Gloria Estefan

That's what I meant to say  :-\   I did say a lot of other stuff as well though.... All very correct and positive  :bd: But yeah, I made a mistake... Oops  sorry :hide:

mirth

Don't let Brant get you down. He loves to nit-pick.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Emeraldlis

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on December 08, 2017, 02:28:26 PM

You say that like it's a bad thing  :-"

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Emeraldlis

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 08, 2017, 02:30:14 PM
Quote from: mirth on December 08, 2017, 02:28:26 PM

You say that like it's a bad thing  :-"

I guess if you don't care about pissing off a massive fan of the show.... Then go right ahead with your nit picking ways  :-"

mirth