New Feature! Dragon' Up The Past

Started by bayonetbrant, October 27, 2017, 05:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

While the GrogCast is on hiatus, we're trying something new :)

First episode is today

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Cyrano

It's brilliant.

Loved every moment.

Far better than "Cats".

I plan to listen again and again!
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bayonetbrant

OK, serious question - how many of y'all bothered to watch/listen?  Just wondering.  We've got 8-9 more to go whether y'all like them or not :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Emeraldlis

Fantastic feature! I think y'all have outdone yourselves and come up with a very entertaining and interesting show  :)  I'm a fan... I'll be tuning in and watching /listening to as many as you guys can throw our way!
I've listened to both episodes, and they are both equally as good :) well done guys  O0
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

MetalDog

Listened to the first episode.  You guys need a third voice on the call ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

I offered, but Brant seems intent on making this his show. ;)

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on November 05, 2017, 04:59:09 PM
Listened to the first episode.  You guys need a third voice on the call ;)

we're running over an hour with just 2 of us on there!

(hell, we got a 90-minute one coming up over TANKSgiving)

Emeraldlis

90 minutes..... That's like a 2 for 1 then!!!!  :)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

bayonetbrant

we got waaaaaaay back to #16 for this video :)

Emeraldlis

Another great episode :) I think the title dragon up the past is really great  O0

bayonetbrant

Jack Nastyface

I could wax poetic about issue #39.  It is the sole issue of The Dragon that still has a place on my gaming shelf.  FWIW and IMHO:
1)  I loved the firearms rules for Melee, ONLY because we grew tired of hack 'n' slash battles.
2)  The skirmish rules for Napoleonic warfare was like a dream come true.  Sometime in '77(?), I picked up a book  - Great Naval Battles - from the local library that featured the Battle of Trafaglar, which begat my life-long interest in the age of sail, which begat my interest in the Hornblower books of C.S. Forester, which begat me reading Death to the French! (Rifleman Dodd in the US), which begat my interest in Napoleonic warfare...especially the soldiers point of view.  I tried using the rules for Boothill to simulate man-to-man Napoleonic fights, but it didn't feel right.  The skirmish rules in issue 39 were perfect, and I actually started a solo campaign game that consisted of engagements involving between 10 - 15 figures total.  I used 1/72nd airfix plastic soldiers for the French and British, and US confederate soldiers for the Spanish peasants.  About a year or so later, I picked up a copy of the Courier magazine that had an idea for a Russian retreat scenario, which provide a few more gaming opportunities.  I believe I used British AWI soldiers (also airfix) for the Russians.  I also recall playing a couple of Egyptian campaign games when I got a French Foreign legion fort that included a set of Arab (bedouin) soldiers.
3)  My friend Kevin K. DM'ed the Halls of Beoll Dur.  I distinctly recall that during the final battle, two of our party were teleported to distant astral planes and one was turned to stone.  The two remaining members (including me!) threw Zeus' white eagle into the throne room, shut the doors, and waited for the fighting to stop.

Good times.

Jack Nastyface
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Cyrano

As I said in the NEW DUtP recorded today:

-4 points for embracing the needless addition of gunpowder weapons to Melee.

+2 points for playing skirmish level Napoleonics in an era when it didn't have a teeny fraction of the support it does today.

+3 points for playing said skirmish rules using Airfix figures, the gateway mini for a generation...or two.  Mine were  a mix of Airfix and, later, ESCI, although only the former did Highlanders.  Which is important.

Thanks for giving the episode a listen.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Emeraldlis

That was a really great listen, great episode guys  :bd:

.... I'm now off to find me some eternal zen!!!!! Ooooooooooom  :2funny: