“Machine Slaughterhouse On Mars” Sentinels of the Multiverse story AAR

Started by Grimnirsson, February 19, 2013, 07:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimnirsson

Sentinels of the Multiverse by Greater Than Games is currently in the HFC test lab and here's a little AAR for you to enjoy while waiting for our review  :)
The story you can read here was actually almost completely told by the game itself so that may give you an idea of the immersive superhero gameplay that SotM is able to provide. Hope you enjoy it!
To read the story go to:
http://wargamecenter.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-aar-no-1-machine-slaughterhouse-on-mars/
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Arctic Blast

Such a great game. Every single game of it has been an absolute blast. Every time I go anywhere these days, multiple people request that I bring it along. It has relegated Legendary to my trade stack.

Grimnirsson

We are waiting for Legendary The Marvel Deck Building Game to be available here at a shop because paying postage costs is the same amount as for the actual game which is just too much then. So I can't say how good it is ;)

www.homefrontcenter.de

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Grimnirsson on February 20, 2013, 04:37:14 AM
We are waiting for Legendary The Marvel Deck Building Game to be available here at a shop because paying postage costs is the same amount as for the actual game which is just too much then. So I can't say how good it is ;)

It isn't a bad game at all, but in my opinion you already have the superior game with Sentinels. The set up/tear down in Legendary is a bit of a bear in comparison, simply because of all the mixing and shuffling of decks.

Hiimori

@Arctic Blast,

I'm currently writing a review of the Sentinels Core Pack and I'm curious - how's your win/loss ratio in this game and how many characters do you usually send into battle? Any favorite heroes?

We got our asses kicked by Citizen Dawn last weekend (two times)  :P

www.homefrontcenter.de

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Hiimori on February 25, 2013, 03:23:44 PM
@Arctic Blast,

I'm currently writing a review of the Sentinels Core Pack and I'm curious - how's your win/loss ratio in this game and how many characters do you usually send into battle? Any favorite heroes?

We got our asses kicked by Citizen Dawn last weekend (two times)  :P

Team size depends on the situation. If I'm playing with friends, it's almost always 4 or 5. If I'm solo-ing, I run 3 heroes at most. Total win % is probably under 50, but I really don;t pay a ton of attention to that to be honest. But if you're playing the original version, as opposed to the Enhanced one, team size matters a lot more. One of the biggest changes between versions (the expansions added this, actually) was a scaling of villain damage. So instead of them hitting for a specific amount regardless of the number of heroes, the damage they do now scales to the hero number.

My personal favorite is Expatriette (but I think she's an expansion character). She's basically The Punisher. Lots of guns, variable ammo types, and a pair of signature pistols named Pride & Prejudice (she can fire both if they're both equipped).  ;D I tend to like playing straight up damage dealers in pretty much any game I play, so I'm also fond of Haka...who doesn't love a giant Samoan who does more damage if he gets messed up and angry?

Citizen Dawn can be NASTY to take on if you end up with a series of her damn Citizen allies coming out of her deck in a row.

Hiimori

We also own Rook City and Infernal Relics, but we are currently trying to find out whether you can beat all villains in all environments with just the Core Pack heroes - and if there are certain combinations that don't work (or that are a must).

We tried 2 characters at first, but failed even at beating Omnitron. Then we played a ton of 3-player games and now we are up to 4 characters. My favorites became Tempest and Absolute Zero. I try my best to like and play Visionary (deck control is a cool feature), but so far I didn't manage to get her working. Haka and Ra both proved to be somewhat essential in regards to damage dealing, Grimnirsson was also quite successful with the Fanatic. In my opinion, a game that doesn't get old soon - so much possibilities and combinations!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Arctic Blast

This has very rapidly become on of my favorite games out of everything that I own. Not only is there a ton of variety, but the actual game play itself is simple enough that it doesn't require a 15 minute rules explanation beforehand. Monitoring the various statuses can be a bit tricky, but the enhanced edition came with a big set of effect markers that you can put down to remember things (so no more forgetting things like "Oh yeah, I do +1 damage because of that card!").

The best part is that it's a card game that doesn't require 5-10 minutes of mixing and shuffling decks before play, and then another 5-10 minutes separating everything out after you're done.

Visionary is one that I've also had absolutely no ability to play well. I can do a good job with a lot of the other characters that are geared more towards support or passive effects, but I simply cannot play her at all.