Massive Apartment Fire in London

Started by OJsDad, June 13, 2017, 09:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 24, 2017, 11:49:14 AM
So - the latest is the cladding on 27 blocks of flats in England (so far) have failed fire safety tests  :idiot2:

Appalling and frightening.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

News coming out that there was a good deal of under the table subletting to illegals occurring. 

Probably better in religion & politics, but here's an opinion vid explaining some of what's transpiring post-fire.

Bison

Quote from: mirth on June 24, 2017, 11:55:12 AM
So - the latest is the cladding on 27 blocks of flats in England (so far) have failed fire safety tests  :idiot2:

I'd read some articles that stated that this siding was also pushed to be used because its "green" technology. 

JudgeDredd

34 tower blocks out of 34 tower blocks have had the cladding tested and they've all failed. 100% failure rate.  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath

mirth

Quote from: Bison on June 24, 2017, 10:53:57 PM
Quote from: mirth on June 24, 2017, 11:55:12 AM

I'd read some articles that stated that this siding was also pushed to be used because its "green" technology. 

Pushed by who? It wouldn't surprise me if the manufacturer promoted it as such.

Anyway, it sounds like there's plenty of blame to go around for the use of the flammable cladding. Poor decisions by many parties.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Bison

There are better articles about why and what it supposedly does but I suspect that there more to the story than just a cheap contractor.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/14/grenfell-tower-inferno-disaster-waiting-happen-concerns-raised/

mirth

Quote from: Bison on June 25, 2017, 06:53:45 AM
I suspect that there more to the story than just a cheap contractor.

There's much more to it than just that. That cladding isn't allowed on high rises in the US or most of the EU. It was a known hazard.

There were lapses in over sight and poor decisions made by many parties. It isn't just a matter of prioritizing a "green" construction material over fire safety either.

Bison

I didn't say it was the only reason.  I said it was also pushed as being "green".  No doubt cheaper was also a consideration.  And all those other things that have been mentioned.  Regulations are motivated for a number of reasons not always altruistic ones.