20 hours of flying, watched a lot of movies

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, February 07, 2018, 01:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I flew home from my holiday yesterday.  I'd upgraded to Economy Plus and, while the seats are larger, they weren't large enough to fully contain my neighbour.  He was a very portly Chinese guy who spilled over into my seat and also happened to be a very loud snorer (nice guy to chat to however).  Realizing I'd get no sleep, I decided to catch up on some films.

Atomic Blonde.   I had heard mainly negative stuff about this one so I wasn't expecting much but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. 

Thor: Ragnarok.  I haven't kept up with the comic book movies as I hit my saturation point a while back.  Never was much of a fan of the previous Thor films but I thought this one was pretty good.  The goofy humour worked for me.  Wish they'd done more with Hel.

Murder on the Orient Express.  I don't really know why they decided to remake this one. Fans of the novel and the original film already know the story and I don't think there has been a huge resurgence of interest in Christie's books recently.  I suspect most of her fans are dying their hair blue and playing bridge in the senior's home.  At any rate, it was well made and acted for the most part.  Had the usual stupid PC crap shoehorned in to appease the HR nazis at the studio.  Lots of pointless close ups of minority extras as if to exclaim "look! Coloured folk in a period piece!  Embrace diversity, racist!" And some characters had their ethnicity changed so they could work in some racial commentary.  It was OK but felt like it should have been on A&E or Showcase.

The Commuter.  Liam Neeson stuck on a train trying to ID a passenger who doesn't belong or they'll kill his family.  Dumb movie.  If the criminal masterminds force Liam to do their bidding have such awesome surveillance abilities that they know exactly what he's doing at all times, you'd think they'd be able to find the passenger themselves.  Also, the reveal is no surprise at all as they telegraph the "twist" pretty blatantly early on.  Bad movie.

Kingsmen: Golden Circle.  I sided with the US President who is one of the bad guys in the film and wholly agreed with his rationale.  Not a good sign.  Didn't care for this one.

BanzaiCat

Yeesh. From where to where did you fly, if you don't mind me asking? And was it United?

I have a 14-some hour flight coming up, along with a 4-hour flight just before that. The manager I'm traveling with will catch the flight out of my stop, and he wants to go United I think. I'd much rather NOT fly United though I have 15K+ miles with them (which is a lot for me, all from company flights). He's saying we should at least get economy plus seats. I'd flown on an economy plus to Amsterdam last year but it was a very uncomfortable 9+ hours.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Flew from Thailand to Vancouver via Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific.