Main Menu

AI War 2

Started by Jarhead0331, October 15, 2018, 01:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

This is now available for early access on steam. The first game never clicked with for me, but I know it has its cadre of supporters and dedicated fans. Anyone pick this up?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/573410/AI_War_2/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

I haven't even played the first game yet (in my library with all expansions).  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Geezer

I tried the first one a couple of times but never finished a full game of it.  Too many games, too little time for me now to consider the second.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

solops

I played the first game some. It was fun, but I have a LOT of fun games. I got a 25% off Steam coupon for AI War 2 so I picked it up today. I don't know when I will play it. I also got Lux Deluxe and Lux Alliance, each at 50% off ($5 each).
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Cougar_DK

I played the first a lot with some good friends. Fantastic coop game - but learning how to play take some time and learning how to play and have a chance to win takes even longer. AI War with all the expansions has a lot of gaming in it, maybe therefore it has such an following.

So I backed AI War II when the launched there Kickstarter and have tried the Alpha a couple of times and it was not until today I tried the early access version. It sure has the AI War vibe and I can see that I want to play it again. Mp is not in before January 2019 as per the update on the kickstarter page.

Personally I'm don't care about the move to an 3d engine besides it gives them more options apparently... An fighter icon is now many fighters but its the icon that is what you order around...

Pretty sure I will come to peace with and find the good in it  :)
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Skwerl

I just picked this up.  I'll post my initial impressions tomorrow.

Huw the Poo

I'm torn on whether to buy this now.  It sure is tempting because I have all of Arcen's games and love almost all of them.  AI War was an exceptionally good game.  However, I try not to buy early access games any more.  I'll definitely buy it on release, at least.

Nefaro

Doesn't the sequel have some shoddy looking 3D graphics, or am I thinking of a different series' sequel?

I kinda liked the aesthetic of the original AI War and it's hordes of 2D artistry.  Some games lose their visual personality when making the switch from 2d to 3d.   :-\

FarAway Sooner

The original was a fine game, although it certainly took some grokking to appreciate the elegance of it.  As the sequels went on and on, they added too much complexity.  The final result was too hard for me to keep everything straight with all the content added in, but this game gave me some of the most satisfying solitaire gaming I've ever had.

I've never found another asymmetrical 4X that worked half this well.

I do wonder what the new game offers?  The devil will be in the details, as the Steam page is vague and it's mostly going to be about whether they got the little stuff right.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Nefaro on October 16, 2018, 08:28:24 PM
Doesn't the sequel have some shoddy looking 3D graphics, or am I thinking of a different series' sequel?

They've been using placeholder graphics until fairly recently so perhaps that's what you saw.  If you look through the last few news posts on Steam you'll see some examples of the new unit models etc.

Tpek

I've got a 25% off Steam Coupon for the game, and since I'm holding out until full release, it's up for grabs.

Skwerl

I played this a couple of hours last night. I'm a big fan of the original, but I think this will be better:

* The UI is much better
* The graphics are better (obviously) - but are still very functional - even with a huge number of ships on the screen
* This version is much more accessible than the original (I've got many, many hours in AI War 1 but there are still parts of it that I find impenetrable)
* There are lots of minor quality-of-life improvements
* So far, everything appears to be remarkably polished for an EA game.  I haven't encountered any bugs so far.  Honestly I was worried about this when the release date kept getting pushed back.