First Board war Game

Started by bob48, March 30, 2012, 05:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I remember looking at AH's Bismarck in my local Kaybee Toys back in the day. I must have been about 14 and the game couldn't have been more than 8 or 10 bucks. Why I didn't buy it then I couldn't tell you. I probably bought a Super Soaker instead :(
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

undercovergeek

heh - unless we're allowed bags of plastic soldiers, tanks and marbles ill go for risk, then a game called Blood royale (not flat out war - but there was some war (more CK2 really)) which i loved and spent weekends upon weekends playing. After that a game i think called conquest which was napoleonic and didnt have dice, then diplomacy, then axis and allies - then im afraid i fell foul of WH40k

ken ellis

a womans breat is the hardest rock the almighty GOD ever created....

for I can find no sign, nor mark upon it!

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

Quote from: ken ellis on May 24, 2012, 06:08:42 AM
a womans breat is the hardest rock the almighty GOD ever created....

for I can find no sign, nor mark upon it!

im thinking kens first wargame was with some kind of boob simulator?!

besilarius

If he found the game too easy, maybe he was playing with a bunch of boobs?
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

ken ellis

well I wanna get this boob game!

and it would be cool if it was your first wargame!

I was just remeniscing about the movie jeremiah johnson!

lets see, Busen Memo

here is the geek link, but alas it may not be a wargame

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6749/busen-memo

Cyrano

AH's "Starship Troopers".   I bought it in 8th grade (1979) at a Gimbels' (department store here in Milwaukee). Still one of the best SCI-FI games out there and easily the best based on the source material.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Citadel

Besides standing my Airfix miniatures I remember a milton bradley or parker brothers game that had tanks about 3-4 inches in size that you lined up on the board and somehow fought with. I was young and this was probably 30-35 years ago.... I think it was actually and simply called tank battle.

I remember also playing....Snits Revenge!!! HAHA

bob48

Yuk - Oh aye, Snits revenge was a hoot!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Bapek

AH Midway in 1968. Had just moved to Hawaii while my Dad was doing his year in Vietnam (USAF gave dependents the option of moving there for the year so servicemember could get home on R&R) and saw it in the Pearl Harbor PX. Still have the game in a closet, though box and counters have seen better days.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

DennisS

Ummm....and this shows my age, bigly....Tactics II, around 1966.

DennisS

Quote from: Cyrano on June 05, 2012, 02:01:50 PM
AH's "Starship Troopers".   I bought it in 8th grade (1979) at a Gimbels' (department store here in Milwaukee). Still one of the best SCI-FI games out there and easily the best based on the source material.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

This was a GREAT game...."BUGS, Mr. Rico! ZILLIONS of them!"

Silent Disapproval Robot

I think the first board wargame I played was either Divine Right or Magic Realm.  I joined the RPG club in junior high and learned about a weekend gaming club held at the local college so I went out there and met a bunch of burly rednecks who played 25mm Napoleonics and Ancients.  Got way too into minis but I wanted to do something fantasy based so the rednecks (I'm sure gladly) pointed me towards the guys who were playing the aforementioned board games.

The first boardgame I bought with 2 months of newspaper money was SPI's StarForce Alpha Centauri.  Trying to make sense of the rules broke my 13 year old brain.  I never did play it.