First Board war Game

Started by bob48, March 30, 2012, 05:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GroggyGrognard

My father being a American Civil War buff, bought a copy of 'Blue & Gray' from our local gaming store one weekend. I remember to this day that we both played it to death.
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Pinetree

The first board wargame I ever played was Battletech with my cousin, I remember being confused about the hexes and wondering why they weren't squares.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Martok

^  Does BattleTech count as a wargame?  If so, then that would actually be my first, as I was playing it a couple years before I even discovered Risk

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GroggyGrognard

^ I would definitely count 'Battletech' as a sci-fi wargame--just without the historical accuracies that are usually attributed to alot of other wargames.  On the one hand, 'Risk' is more of a strategic boardgame--but of course on the other, one could make a valid case and argument about 'Risk' falling into the 'wargame' category since it is about war in a very expansive context.
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

GJK

In 1975 my best friend called me to come over because he got this cool new game.  Me and Tom and a couple of other friends in our clik would always sit and pick out WWII books from the school library before class.  I show up and Tom has game called Luft-waffle or something like that.  We glanced through the rules but just looking at the cool drawings on the little round playing pieces was neat.  We eventually learned to play the game properly and not too long after, my grandmother took me to a 5&10 in the Dallas area and I picked out a game by the same company - Blitzkrieg.  Later came Third Reich and then in 1977 came the mother of them all, Squad Leader.  A couple of friends in our group split off and started playing Dungeons and Dragons which was now becomming a craze.  Tom and I sat in on a couple of games and quickly decided to go back to 3R and Squad Leader.  I was 11 years ago when Tom picked up that first wargame.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

I've had Luftwaffe for years and never had the chance to play against an opponent.
One of these days I might have to try VASSALing the game with someone.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

I wonder if it would pbem very well?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 01, 2012, 09:33:37 PM
I've had Luftwaffe for years and never had the chance to play against an opponent.
One of these days I might have to try VASSALing the game with someone.

I'd love to try Luftwaffe on VASSAL. Let me know and maybe we can try some time.

Quote from: GJK on April 01, 2012, 10:03:22 PM
I wonder if it would pbem very well?

Not sure how well it would work PBEM. I'll need to re-read the rules to see how it could be done.

Staggerwing

Barth,
Let me re-read the rules and see if it would be playable over several days since I'd be lucky to get out a turn or two a day.
I haven't played enough VASSAL to see how a turn-swapping game would go as opposed to head to head.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Barthheart

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 02, 2012, 07:08:38 AM
Barth,
Let me re-read the rules and see if it would be playable over several days since I'd be lucky to get out a turn or two a day.
I haven't played enough VASSAL to see how a turn-swapping game would go as opposed to head to head.

We could always try live play with Skype. Only a turn or 2 at a time, spread over many sessions.

I need to re-read the rules as well.

Staggerwing

Centurion40

My first was Risk, my 2nd was AH's "Blitzkrieg" followed by AH's "Starship Troopers".
Any time is a good time for pie.

MengJiao

Quote from: bob48 on March 30, 2012, 05:17:25 PM
Right then chaps - thinking caps on.

What was the first board wargame you ever played?

For me, it was AH's Afrika Korps. A friend brought a copy back from the US for me way back in the late 1960's, and it took me by storm. Up until then, it had been 1/72 scale Airfix mini's and home made rules, so this was a revelation, as I had neither seen or heard of this kind of war game (although I had a copy of Diplomacy - which aint really in the same class).

Over the years, my games collection had been sold off, rebuilt, sold off again and is now once more getting bigger, but I still have that original Afrika Korps, albeit the box disintegrated at some point, the board and all the components are still in good condition.

Not too long ago, I set it all up and started to play it, the first time for a long time, and my thoughts were, "This is totally crap", and I put all away again. How times have changed.

Bismarck -- in about 1966 and long gone.

Steelgrave

At 12, I came home from the mall with a copy of AH's "Midway" tucked under my arm and went next door to my best friends house where we opened it and played for hours. After that, God knows how many AH wargames I bought, but it was a lot.

ken ellis

hmmm if risk is a wargame then I guess that one or dogfight

because stratego is not a wargame!

sez so right in the rules

first real wargame was blitzkrieg

first one I bought was gettysburg 64