Consolidated Heroes of Stalingrad thread

Started by Barthheart, January 21, 2014, 02:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I don't doubt it's not a full time, put your feet up and get paid kinda job.

However, taking WiF as an example, there is one mathematical equation they can't argue with - they never got my £130. Now I'm not saying by reducing it they would've garnered more money, all I'm saying by that is for me (and presumably other people also) they priced it in such a way as they didn't take my money.

Oh - and by the other token - they could've priced it at £200 and apparently a load of people would've bought it. So who knows.  ??? Only them I guess.

Anyway - sorry for the OT  :(
Alba gu' brath

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 23, 2014, 11:09:54 AM
LB and I were talking through some back-of-the-napkin math over a recent release ("recent" in this case was 2011, at the time we were talking) and after the cut from the publisher, the software/hardware overhead, and business costs (incorporation, taxes, etc), each member of the dev team cleared about $3k, for a pretty major release through S&M.  18 months of pretty hard work, for, essentially, a really nice coffee table from Pottery Barn.

If that is true, I hope the devs had a day job!

Considering what salaries are in a good IT shop these days, you'd have to be crazy to work for peanuts like that.

bayonetbrant

I can only think of about a dozen guys who are working full-time in hobby wargaming (digital or tabletop) and making a full living off of it (ie, not supplemented by military retirement or consulting gigs etc)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

I was upset recently when checking on M2TW mods at how many are dead or unfinished until I thought how many hours of thankless work and effort goes into developing one and all without any kind of salary or reward but for our praises.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Mad Russian

Did you guys want to start paying for development time?

I can get that approved TODAY!! :)

Many times the comments that come after months of work are:

Why isn't this included?
Why doesn't this work right?
Are you sure you guys actually tested this?

If you are lucky, and I have been, you work on a project that gets:

Great job.
Nice work. When can we get more....(insert any of your fondest desires)
When is the next...(insert your fondest desires)

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

BigBlueFleet

I've been waiting for  this game for quite awhile. I need to know how well it will perform on W8 though.

No disrespect to Mark Walker's labor of love intended but........... 

The guard is up after seeing long in developing WIF be released with no AI and complaints about  bugs.

undercovergeek

Rayfer

Quote from: undercovergeek on February 11, 2014, 03:14:27 PM
heads up for tomorrow

Anyone jumping right in on day one?  Would love to hear your initial impressions....good and bad.  Being retired, my spending dollars are limited.  I have many times relied on the honest impressions posted by you guys.

JudgeDredd

I have been burned waaaaay too many times to jump in first day.

I'll be waiting.
Alba gu' brath

spelk

I'll jump, if its not silly money. I've been following this one, since the Three Moves Ahead podcast grilling seemed to put it on hold, instead of see it released.

Jeez was that 2009!!! Only 5 years later then.. deary me.

SgtRock

I'll bet it's less than 50/50 on release tomorrow, the way this project has gone, I'll bet it will still be a few more weeks! :)

SgtRock

Quote from: Mad Russian on January 24, 2014, 11:09:02 AM
Did you guys want to start paying for development time?

I can get that approved TODAY!! :)

Many times the comments that come after months of work are:

Why isn't this included?
Why doesn't this work right?
Are you sure you guys actually tested this?

If you are lucky, and I have been, you work on a project that gets:

Great job.
Nice work. When can we get more....(insert any of your fondest desires)
When is the next...(insert your fondest desires)

Good Hunting.

MR

It's already been done!

1. First sell a Kick-Starter, don't forget the free snake oil for the $10,000 donation for the supper secret edition with a real paper map or plastic something.

2. Then sell the early release of the first ever Gama version limited edition.

3. Then sell the the alpha and beta versions along with some free snake oil.

4. Don't forget the pay to win micro-transactions so you can milk the players who bought the early release crap.

You should then have enough money to either start/finish or change your name and leave town!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 11, 2014, 05:01:34 PM
I have been burned waaaaay too many times to jump in first day.

I'll be waiting.

Do I sense a day #2 purchase:)

Arctic Blast

I'll certainly be picking this up quick...unless it turns out bad, or costs some inexplicable amount of money.  :D

Barthheart

Quote from: SgtRock on February 11, 2014, 06:04:59 PM
I'll bet it's less than 50/50 on release tomorrow, the way this project has gone, I'll bet it will still be a few more weeks! :)

Ill take that bet....

QuoteHi guys,

The battle will begin tomorrow, never fear. We are just doing the final store checks now in preparation for tomorrow's release. There is a lot more promotion in the works and we've cleared the decks for a couple of weeks after Lock 'n Load's release so that we can focus on getting the word out.

Regards,

- Erik