Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteFrench aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle carrier

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Quote"The Commander-in-Chief's Flag-Ship at Spithead: the 'Iron Duke.'" Illustrated London News, July 18, 1914

mirth

QuoteUSS Shenandoah (ZR-1) moored at Naval Air Station North Island, San Diego, California, October 1924

mirth

QuoteUSS Macon (ZRS-5) in flight

QuoteFun (?) fact: Aside from the name near the stern, you can tell the Akron and Macon apart by their condensers (The vertical black stripes above each prop). Macon's were flush with the hull, while Akron's stuck out slightly.

EDIT: You can also see here the design flaw that played a big part in Macon's demise. Ahead of the leading edge of the lower fin, you can see a black port in the skin along the lower keel. running up from that, you can see the outline of one of the ship's main frame rings. Macon's (and Akron's) original design called for a shallower, longer fin that would extend to that ring. The Navy overruled this because they wanted to be able to see the windows of the auxiliary bridge (in the bottom of the lower fin) from the control gondola around the curve of the hull. This meant that the fin was only attached to two frame rings and that its leading edge was only attached to a minor, intermediate ring. When the ship was caught in a storm off California, it is likely that the upper fin was ripped partially away, breaking framing and bracing wires and tearing the rear gasbags.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Staggerwing

^Check USS Macon's hangar bay opening just in front to the first set of engines- it looks as if there is a Curtis F9C scout/fighter ready for launch:

Eventually, when the pilots became proficient enough in mid-air launches and recoveries their F9C Sparrowhawks' undercarriage were removed to increase speed and endurance. After that they literally had no place to go but back to the mothership. Like TIE Fighters...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

QuoteUS Submarines USS Hartford (SSN-768) and USS Connecticut (SSN-22) surface together in the Arctic Circle

mirth

QuoteUSS Baltimore, CA-68, being broken up at Zidell Ship Dismantling, Portland, OR, Sept, 1972

mirth

Illustrious-class aircraft carrier HMS Victorious in Pearl Harbor, march 1943.

mirth

QuoteUSS Ranger (CV-4), circa mid-1930's. Note the starboard funnels which would fold down at a 90 degree angle during flight operations. Another three funnels were on the port side.

mirth

QuoteOffshore Patrol Vessel HMS CLYDE before a bank of fog from a nearby glacier. King Edward Point, South Georgia

mirth

QuoteMV-22 Osprey on the deck of French LHD Tonnerre during joint deployment Bois Belleau 100, 2018

mirth

QuoteUSS Franklin D. Roosevelt (CVB-42) at anchor in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, 22 March 1950. On deck are aircraft of Carrier Air Group 17, including F2H-2 Banshee and F4U-5 Corsair fighters, AD-4 Skyraider attack planes and two Sikorsky HO3S helicopters, of which one is just lifting off.

mirth