Disney buys Fox assets (including rights to Marvel and DC properties)

Started by JasonPratt, December 11, 2017, 02:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

This has been percolating for a while, but now seems confirmed...? Maybe not legally finalized yet, but basically going to happen.

Disney will be merging 20th Century Fox (or whatever they're calling themselves now that we're coming up on the second decade of the 21st century) into their corporate structure. Essentially this means we could have MCU crossovers with the Alien/Predator property, but mostly it means X-Men properties and the Fantastic Four (and Ghost Rider but he was already brought over) can appear in the MCU. Strong industry buzz already puts Hugh Jackman returning (one last time for realz?) as Wolverine in Avengers 4.

An unexpected side effect is that Disney will now own the rights to TV Batman production, so currently "Gotham" and I suppose "Teen Titans". That doesn't mean Batman will be crossing over into Netflix Marvel or Shield (and definitely not into the cinematic portions of the Cinematic Universe) -- presumably Warner Brothers would still have to agree to character usage -- but it suggests interesting possibilities.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 11, 2017, 02:21:11 PM
This has been percolating for a while, but now seems confirmed...? Maybe not legally finalized yet, but basically going to happen.

Disney will be merging 20th Century Fox (or whatever they're calling themselves now that we're coming up on the second decade of the 21st century) into their corporate structure. Essentially this means we could have MCU crossovers with the Alien/Predator property, but mostly it means X-Men properties and the Fantastic Four (and Ghost Rider but he was already brought over) can appear in the MCU. Strong industry buzz already puts Hugh Jackman returning (one last time for realz?) as Wolverine in Avengers 4.

An unexpected side effect is that Disney will now own the rights to TV Batman production, so currently "Gotham" and I suppose "Teen Titans". That doesn't mean Batman will be crossing over into Netflix Marvel or Shield (and definitely not into the cinematic portions of the Cinematic Universe) -- presumably Warner Brothers would still have to agree to character usage -- but it suggests interesting possibilities.

so is logan on a different timeline to the above or are they digging him up?

JasonPratt

The "Logan" film was in a different continuity anyway (and the X-Men films have always had a "screw-it" attitude toward continuity at best.)

I should clarify that Jackman has NOT said he's returning to the role, for Av4 or for anything else, but that film is far enough down the line that he might decide by then he'd like a little extra spending cash for a couple of weeks shooting an extended cameo.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

Jackman and Stewart have both made rather emphatic statements that they are done with their respective X-men roles. I have no doubt that could change for the right price, but they both genuinely seem like they want to be done.

And yeah, continuity is meaningless in the X-men movies.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on December 11, 2017, 03:05:22 PM
And yeah, continuity is meaningless in the X-men movies.

Especially when Deadpool is poking fun at them with "Stewart or McAvoy?" quips
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

I forsee an Avengers plot where Thanos uses the Time Stone to go back in time and take over Disney thus taking direct control of every single Superhero anywhere ever!  I'd buy a ticket.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

This deal will give Disney rights to all of the Star Wars films. Fox owns the rights for the original movie.

JasonPratt

In my head that translated to "Yeah, we promised blus of the original theatrical cuts of the trilogy, but then Fox tripped us up on that, but now we can do that at last for anyone who wants them yay."

mirth

I want them to reissue the actual theatrical cuts of the original trilogy on blu-ray. Lucas hacked the shit out of those movies and it's almost impossible to get a theatrical cut at this point. What's available is of decidedly mixed quality.

Plus, I want them to issue the Holiday Special. That doesn't need to be on blu-ray. VHS will do :P

Sir Slash

I can see Mickey in the next Avengers and Donald Duck as the new Batman. And, that's just Goofy to me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Mighty Ducks in Space!!  The plucky underdogs have to go up against the Empire's best hockey team in Hoth.   Emilio needs the work...

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on December 14, 2017, 01:14:22 PM
I want them to reissue the actual theatrical cuts of the original trilogy on blu-ray.

I have them, but on VHS....
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 14, 2017, 02:04:45 PM
I want them to reissue the actual theatrical cuts of the original trilogy on blu-ray.

I Have them on laser disc....

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on December 14, 2017, 02:20:28 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 14, 2017, 02:04:45 PM

I Have them on laser disc....

When they issued the theatrical versions on DVD, they lifted old footage from the laser disc versions. Apparently they didn't do a very good job of it either and the result was less than satisfactory. Lucas' focus was always on the special editions. Disney may eventually see the value of making high quality remasters of the theatrical versions.