Instruments of Darkness

Started by besilarius, December 04, 2017, 06:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

A book that every wargamer interested in WWII shoudl read.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

I get some weird shit when I click on that link Bes. Is this what you were trying to link?

https://www.amazon.com/Instruments-Darkness-History-Electronic-1939-1945/dp/1853676160
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Thanks guys, very interesting stuff.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

Thanks Stagger.  Don't know where that other link came from.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Silent Disapproval Robot

It's a good book.  I bought it a few years ago.

Another one that I'd recommend if you're interested in the electronic warfare aspect of the RAF night bombing campaign is The Other Battle by Peter Hinchcliffe.  It's not solely focused on e-warfare but does  delve into it a lot and shows how each development altered tactics and outcomes during the war.

https://www.amazon.ca/Other-Battle-Luftwaffe-Versus-Command/dp/0785814183/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512450611&sr=8-2&keywords=the+other+battle

trailrunner

I took an electronic warfare class a couple of weeks ago.  Now that I know how to spell r-a-d-a-r and can do decibel math, it got me curious about the specific techniques used in WW2.  I asked the teacher, and he didn't know, but it looks like this book will scratch that itch quite well.  It looks out of print or expensive, so I'll see if I can find it in the library.

besilarius

It is reissued in 2017 by Frontline Books in the UK.
In the States it is available from US Naval Institute Press.

https://www.usni.org/store/books/holiday-catalog-2017/instruments-darkness

Right now it is on sale for $14.98 until December 15.

"With your eyes closed?"