Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Started by Martok, November 14, 2017, 01:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Yes, yes, a thousand times YES!!!  <:-) 

I'm so excited for this I may have to change my shorts (again)!  The period of the Danelaw and Alfred the Great is a fantastic era for the Total War series to cover, especially the "Saga" team, which works on smaller, more focused scenarios.  I can't wait!! 

EDIT:  A short FAQ can be found here.  Not much info yet, but a few useful tidbits. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Is this what it takes to get you out among the living?

The above looks marvelous. Now I feel whole again having two new upcoming historical TW games on my to-buy list again.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tpek

Sorry, but the only thing I have to say is "Not again...".

What about China? India? The Ancient Middle-East/Levant? Africa for something completely original.

Why do they keep doing the exact same game over and over and over again. :(

Gusington

Because people love it and it sells 100s of 1000s of copies!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tpek

Quote from: Gusington on November 14, 2017, 02:32:45 PM
Because people love it and it sells 100s of 1000s of copies!

Maybe, but an original and interesting game could easily sell more.

Nefaro

aaaaand there's the viking invasion TW we've been fully expecting.

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on November 14, 2017, 02:18:25 PM
Is this what it takes to get you out among the living?
...Yes?  :-\ 

I've still been here; I've just not been logged in and posting (obviously).  Ever since I got promoted, my active participation in most sites has been way down; still struggling with that whole "life balance" thing people talk about (how most of you manage it with spouses/kids is beyond me)... 

Quote from: Gusington on November 14, 2017, 02:18:25 PM
The above looks marvelous. Now I feel whole again having two new upcoming historical TW games on my to-buy list again.
Same here.  Warhammer is fun, but I'm really looking forward to CA getting back to the historical titles that they (generally) do so well. 
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

CJReich46

Interesting.

Liked the trailer, but I will want to see more. :)
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Martok

Quote from: Tpek on November 14, 2017, 02:20:07 PM

What about China? India? The Ancient Middle-East/Levant? Africa for something completely original.

From the FAQ: 
QuoteSagas won't introduce brand-new eras; they'll follow-on from previous Total War games and inhabit the same time-period, or at the very least relate to it.

Fall of the Samurai is exactly the kind of thing we're talking about here. It was a standalone spin-off from Total War: SHOGUN 2, focussed on the pivotal event of the Boshin War.
There's the short answer to your question, Tpek.  CA hasn't yet done a major title that covers China, India, etc.; ergo, the Saga team isn't going to go back and cover a smaller scenario within those periods. 

Of course, the next major historical title has yet to be announced, so keep your fingers crossed.  :)  I personally would still love to see a TW title set in ancient/medieval China; that would be epic! 

undercovergeek

THIS isn't THAT

THAT is yet to be announced

Sir Slash

They can have my money, maybe. I want a look at the map and factions first. Age of Charlemagne comes very close to this same period and Britain is almost a campaign by itself. And a damned good one too. If we get a big Britain map with lots of land to play on then good but if all we get is a Ceasar in Gaul-type thing then I could easily pass.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 14, 2017, 04:10:06 PM

THIS isn't THAT

THAT is yet to be announced

Sounds like some Top Secret Ninja Shit™.

UCG could tell us, but then he'd have to garrote us.

Martok

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 14, 2017, 04:11:16 PM
They can have my money, maybe. I want a look at the map and factions first. Age of Charlemagne comes very close to this same period and Britain is almost a campaign by itself. And a damned good one too. If we get a big Britain map with lots of land to play on then good but if all we get is a Ceasar in Gaul-type thing then I could easily pass.
That what's what I've been wanting as well, and it sounds like they've got it covered.  From the FAQ: 

What geographical area will it cover?

The map is the whole of the British Isles, we've gone for such a focused map to allow for us to put a lot of detail into it.

What are the playable factions?

We'll be confirming all ten of the playable factions over the coming months but for now we can tell you that you'll be able to play as Anglo-Saxons, Viking settlers and certain Gaelic clans.
I wonder if this means islands (Wight, Man, etc.) and the Orkneys will be their own regions.  (Please please please...!) 

jomni