Free Limited Open Alpha for DEEP ROCK GALACTIC coming Nov 6th

Started by JasonPratt, October 30, 2017, 06:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Yep, the codes will go out Nov 9th and will allow play of the current alpha build (minus some toys however) from 9th to the 12th. You're even allowed to legally stream gameplay if you want! But you need to sign up for the open alpha by November 6th, 12:59 pm CEST.

I haven't played the current closed alpha much recently, but I and several friends have had a blast in the game off and on -- in fact my main complaint about the game (which I don't know whether has been fixed yet) is that you couldn't set up private friend teams. The games were always open to the first people joining, and random players could easily drop in during gameplay to fill out the remaining slot(s).

That was literally my only complaint about the game, and that was in closed pre-alpha.

DEEP ROCK GALACTIC is a four-player co-op sci-fi dwarven mining first-person shooter. Yes, sci-fi dwarves. Each player takes a character type, and descend from orbit in a rocket drill into the guts of an asteroid to find, well, primarily gold but also a few other useful minerals to help you find the loot which will, in effect, buy your way back out of the tunnels: the rocket-drill only comes back once you've earned enough profit, and oh by the way it only stays back for a minute or two so you've got to scramble back and get on board or it leaves you to die.

The graphics are a bit simple (in the version I've been playing) but entirely suffice for the setting, and the simplicity of the voxels helps the game flow smoothly. Only a few maps will be available for the limited open alpha, and some of the better kit has been held back (floodlights and automatic turrets), but a new map will be introduced for this build. The maps so far have been good, some of them (mostly the easy/tutorial types) always the same, others randomly generated around a cavern type. The dark is pervasive and deep, down in these cold not-quite-dead rocks, and it's easy to put a foot wrong and plunge dozens of feet, or hundreds, to a crippling crunch. (The mission won't fail without a total party wipe, however, and players can revive the fallen -- if they can get there! Players can abandon the fallen, too, which is another good reason to go with friends...)

The official summary for the open alpha details:

QuoteOpen Alpha: November 9th - 12th
Sign-up Deadline: November 6th at 11:59 PM (CEST)
Keys Sent Out: November 9th at 01:00 PM (CEST)
Platform for Open Alpha: Steam (PC)

So, what about streaming during Open Alpha?
You are allowed to stream the game
Just tell your audience that this is a PRE-ALPHA of the game, and NOT the final product.
And add links to our Steam Page (this one) and to our homepage of Deep Rock Galactic, in the video descriptions.
Note:
Please check your email's spam folder. We have experience that some of the emails we have sent out, are going directly to some of our receiver's spam folder.

The gameplay here is indicative of everything except the utter darkness of some of the gameplay -- there are ways around it, of course, but they've chosen screenshots that are brightly lit for obvious reasons.

"I can't feel my beaarrrd!"  :D

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

With the limited Open Alpha now done, DRG also closes out the Closed Alpha phase. Beta Early Access starts early in 2018, and I'll be definitely buying in!

I don't recall if it was JudgeDredd or Jarhead who passed out four alpha codes to fellow Grogs months ago, but my thanks to you.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 08, 2017, 05:47:03 PM
With the limited Open Alpha now done, DRG also closes out the Closed Alpha phase. Beta Early Access starts early in 2018, and I'll be definitely buying in!

I don't recall if it was JudgeDredd or Jarhead who passed out four alpha codes to fellow Grogs months ago, but my thanks to you.  O:-)

It was me. You're welcome.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18