Would-Be Grognard Looking for Good Introductory Games

Started by Cheimison, October 21, 2017, 06:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Field of Glory II, Pike and Shot and Singoku Jidai all use the same engine, are all excellent and make for a great start on the tactical side. 

Might be worth checking out Operational Art of War IV when it comes out as well. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Cheimison

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 22, 2017, 02:04:34 PM
Field of Glory II, Pike and Shot and Singoku Jidai all use the same engine, are all excellent and make for a great start on the tactical side. 

Might be worth checking out Operational Art of War IV when it comes out as well.
I'm laughing because I actually have many of the games being recommended, I just wasn't sure where to start.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Cheimison on October 22, 2017, 02:22:59 PM

I'm laughing because I actually have many of the games being recommended, I just wasn't sure where to start.

LOL, missed the post where you said you got it.   I'm even sober, so no excuse.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

SirAndrewD

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Cheimison

Quote from: Nefaro on October 22, 2017, 01:08:11 PM
AGE's Alea Jacta Est and Birth Of Rome are enjoyable, on the grand scale, without getting too bogged down as in others.  There is no rigid command structure in them, as opposed to a few other AGE games, for example.  They also run about as fast as the AGE engine does these days.
Birth of Rome has some smaller scenarios covering the earlier republican period which make it easier to get into. 
After crawling through Google and my AJE files I managed to finally get it running without the awful scrolling lag, which was apparently caused by faction borders of all things. How a game that has almost no animation can run so poorly befuddles me, but at least now I can play the damn thing. I've only had it for like five years, lol.

bbmike

^The game engine they use is so old and is in dire need of replacement. AGEOD is working on a new game engine but there's been no news on progress.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Tuna

Quote from: Cheimison on October 22, 2017, 02:22:59 PM

So the title cor your thread is in correct, you're already a Grognard!

Pete Dero

Quote from: Tuna on October 23, 2017, 10:14:49 AM
So the title cor your thread is in correct, you're already a Grognard!

The he can have access to Histwar Napoleon Les Grognards 

https://www.histwar.net/histwar-les-grognards-1

Sir Slash

One of my Wargaming Goals in life is to play all the Alea Jacta Est- Birth of Rome scenarios in their historical order. But it's not easy because some of the early ones are very long and the Republic has some crappy generals and limited number of legions. I also miss anything like a tactical element in the game. I am currently still grappling with the Greeks and haven't even gotten close to Carthage yet.  :-[
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Cheimison

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 23, 2017, 10:46:45 AM
One of my Wargaming Goals in life is to play all the Alea Jacta Est- Birth of Rome scenarios in their historical order. But it's not easy because some of the early ones are very long and the Republic has some crappy generals and limited number of legions. I also miss anything like a tactical element in the game. I am currently still grappling with the Greeks and haven't even gotten close to Carthage yet.  :-[
Haha, in Total War you can conquer the entire map by the time of Caesar, so funny.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Cheimison

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 23, 2017, 03:41:43 PM
Or, the map can conquer you.
If you wanted you could turn off the historical recruitment limits on AJE. That might be verging into EU territory though.
"Why yes, my Caesar, we do have a three hundred thousand man standing army."