Fox's THE GIFTED (is no Burn Notice. Or even X-Men.)

Started by JasonPratt, October 13, 2017, 04:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I finally sat down to watch the pilot episode of the latest attempt by 20th Century Fox to parlay their X-Men license into a television show: "The Gifted". I have no idea whether this has any connection to last year's "Legion", which I never bothered to watch; and frankly I was highly ambivalent about starting this one.

I remain highly ambivalent after the episode, too. This is despite the fact that I generally like the X-Men films, including the ones helmed by Bryan Singer who is a producer on this show (and also heavily involved with "Legion"); and, much more surprisingly to me, despite the fact that Matt Nix wrote the pilot ep and is credited as creating the series. His Burn Notice remains one of my favorite series of all time.

But my tolerance for being preached at by the far left of American culture has long since reached its limits, and by its topical structure this property tends to land squarely in that ongoing message-movement. I still like the X-films (even the painful Wolverine Origin movie, really -- and I'm one of the few geeks I know of who even liked X3), due to the colorful cinematics, the (not always universally) strong acting, and their deployment of some of the most truly iconic characters in the history of all fiction.

Without any of that, the pilot ep would need a lot of Matt Nixian touches to keep me interested. And, for me, those touches just weren't there.

About three quarters of the way through the dour pilot (which I don't blame the series for, since its precept is a dour near-dystopian setting), Mom asked me and Dad, "...do y'all really like this?" I don't know about Dad, but my answer was a solid, "No." I won't be following along on it, unless I hear a lot better about it later.

I don't begrudge other people if they enjoyed it, however, so any dissenting praise will be welcome.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Props to Matt Nix and Burn Notice. A supremely underrated show.

Don't really care about The Gifted, but am I reminded that I need to watch Logan.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

bbmike

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 13, 2017, 04:55:06 PM
I don't begrudge other people if they enjoyed it, however, so any dissenting praise will be welcome.  O:-)

A very out of touch comment. Are you not a modern day American?  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 13, 2017, 04:55:06 PM

But my tolerance for being preached at by the far left of American culture has long since reached its limits ..

With ya, there!

They've taken the place of preachy evangelicals.  Except it's far more extensive & ingrained than those ever were. 

JasonPratt

Quote from: Barthheart on October 13, 2017, 05:36:26 PM
Logan is really good.  O0

The show does, in its favor, have a good bit of Logan feel to it. (I like that film a lot, both in color and b/w.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!