Am I smoking crack?

Started by acctingman, September 20, 2017, 08:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Oh jeez, how could I have forgotten Advanced Platoon Leader? Check out our video review if you haven't yet.

Barthheart

Dude, download the FREE print and play copy and give the game a try. Reading the rules won't give you enough of how great the system is.

Barthheart

OR I can get online with you one night and teach you how to play in less than 15 minutes.

acctingman

Where is a good place to trade/sell board games (other than here of course  :bd:)

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bob48

'Clip those corners'

Richie61

The newer Old School Tactical 1 and 2 (Eastern Front) and (Western Front) are well worth looking at too. Plus Old School Tactical 3 is going to be the Pacific.

Somewhat like CoH's, but also a bit more detailed. Armor, leaders, support weapons, awesome maps and lots of scenarios.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/170669/old-school-tactical

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205164/old-school-tactical-volume-ii-west-front-1944-45

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

acctingman

Thanks Richie. I'll take a look at that too.

I like CoH, but the CAP system feels off to me. I will admit, I'm not an experienced board gamer, but I like the idea of having leaders in a game. Also, while CoH is a gorgeous game, I find the attack # and defense # for armor values a little too bland.

Richie61

You can read the latest rules and get an idea of the game. The version 5.5 is the latest set of rules. Plus there is a Vassal version of OST 1.

OST uses "Impulse Points" as actions by each player's forces.

Per Flying Pig Games web site:

The rules for Old School Tactical Vol II: West Front 1944-45 are now online and available for download.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/56cfsf2vglyh6on/OST-Rules5.5-Final...
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

acctingman

acctingman

Something else I was thinking about (this is from the musings of a self professed board gaming newb mind you) is combat (for armor) that has range bands and effectiveness that decreased as you range out. I feel like a set of rules that implements that is a little more (maybe not historical, but possibly more accurate?)

Something about a  Pz IV in one game having an armor attack value of 8 and then in another game is has a armor attack value of 8 within 4 hexes, 5 within 7 hexes and then a 4 within 9 hexes (or something like that. Am I nuts in thinking that's a little more realistic? Or, am I on crack yet again?  :uglystupid2:

bob48

Have you had a look at the 'Band of Brothers' system?

'Clip those corners'

acctingman

Quote from: bob48 on September 24, 2017, 09:54:47 AM
Have you had a look at the 'Band of Brothers' system?

Bob....that was the system I was thinking about when I typed my above ramblings! I was watching a BBG video of Ghost Panzer and I like the combat rules. They seem pretty straight forward. Old school tactical is nice too. I've glanced at Panzer also, but I've heard they're a little weak on infantry rules. I might have to buy multiple games and just test them out for myself....what a damn crying shame eh?  ^-^

bob48

I've got all the re-mastered BoB stuff with all the extra's from backing it when it was on kickstarter. Its not by any means perfect, but its a lot of fun and has plenty of re-playability. I like it, anyway.

'Clip those corners'