Game suggestions?

Started by oldguy, August 19, 2017, 07:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

Help me spend my money as I look at a few weeks of upcoming vacation.  My wish list:

1.  Turn-based
2.  Operational
3.  Does not involve WW2, ACW, Napoleon
4.  Graphics not important but a friendly UI would be nice.

Any ideas welcome!

Staggerwing

Operational Art of War 3 has a bunch of scenarios that are not WW2:  http://www.matrixgames.com/products/317/details/Norm.Kogers.The.Operational.Art.of.War.III

There is a newer version in the works at Matrix Games but no hard info on when it will release.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Boggit

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 19, 2017, 07:45:45 AM
Operational Art of War 3 has a bunch of scenarios that are not WW2:  http://www.matrixgames.com/products/317/details/Norm.Kogers.The.Operational.Art.of.War.III

There is a newer version in the works at Matrix Games but no hard info on when it will release.
I have it on good authority that it will be sometime around Thanksgiving.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: oldguy on August 19, 2017, 07:22:39 AM
Help me spend my money as I look at a few weeks of upcoming vacation.  My wish list:

1.  Turn-based
2.  Operational

Any ideas welcome!
Tiller's First World War campaigns? France '14 or East Prussia '14. Just be prepared to see eye watering casualties.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Slick Wilhelm

1.  Turn-based
2.  Operational

Any ideas welcome!

1. Commander:The Great War
2. Ageod's To End All Wars
3. Ageod's Revolution Under Siege Gold

Out of those three, Commander is by far the easiest to jump right in and play. Although to do well, reading the manual is probably required.

Boggit

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on August 19, 2017, 09:46:59 AM

1.  Turn-based
2.  Operational

Any ideas welcome!

1. Commander:The Great War
2. Ageod's To End All Wars
3. Ageod's Revolution Under Siege Gold

Out of those three, Commander is by far the easiest to jump right in and play. Although to do well, reading the manual is probably required.
Didn't think of those, but those are all good ones.

Raied

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm

Its turn based WEGO, operational, Cold War, good UI

mirth

Quote from: Raied on August 19, 2017, 10:48:58 AM

+1 I was going to recommend it as well.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

1.  Turn-based
2.  Operational

Any ideas welcome!

Advanced tactics gold.  http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=405

Great sandbox with no historical setting.  Randomized games with unlimited replayability

Rayfer

Quote from: mirth on August 19, 2017, 10:56:00 AM
Quote from: Raied on August 19, 2017, 10:48:58 AM

+1 I was going to recommend it as well.

Question....what makes a game operational rather than tactical? Where does tactical transition into operational?  I would have thought Flashpoint Campaigns was tactical, but what do I know?   :crazy2:

mirth

Technically it may be tactical, but I think it stretches into the operational level as well.

'Operational level' as a military term is a bit tricky to pin down

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_level_of_war
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

JasonPratt

If you can find a copy of People's General (the finale of the SSI 5-star series), you'll not only get an operational (if beer and pretz) campaign in an unusual setting (the rise of Chinese communism and defense against it), but modders have produced a ton of alternative content for it.

You didn't say if you were looking for historical operational games other than noted, or if you would consider other genres. Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy (available from Paradox if I recall) features a colorful 3D graphic update to SSI's old 5-star engine (i.e. Panzer General), with nine campaigns between them (including EL expansions) and a very decent UI. On the other end of the fantasy/sci-fi spectrum, but also involving orcs and a variation of the 5-star system, is Matrix/Slitherine's Warhammer40K: Armageddon (with plenty of expansions).

Back to history: the Vietnam '65 and Afghanistan '11 games are a quite different type of turn-based operational game, the latter featuring more options and a proper historical campaign as well as random-gen maps (although be aware that the tutorial, though admirably tied into the historical progression, can easily be lost by accident.)

Pike and Shot Campaigns and Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun, both of which involve a sort of updated modification of the Field of Glory engine (FoG2 coming soon), provide turn based operations around late medieval/renaissance times, on opposite ends of the world. SenJi was made by one of our own Grogs!

Everything in that list after PeepGen is available on Steam, and everything from WH40K:Arma also comes from Matrixlitherine. ;) I could probably come up with more samples.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 19, 2017, 12:38:02 PM
If you can find a copy of People's General (the finale of the SSI 5-star series), you'll not only get an operational (if beer and pretz) campaign in an unusual setting (the rise of Chinese communism and defense against it), but modders have produced a ton of alternative content for it.

It's all here:

http://www.peoplesgeneral.de/

Rayfer

Quote from: mirth on August 19, 2017, 12:15:08 PM
Technically it may be tactical, but I think it stretches into the operational level as well.

'Operational level' as a military term is a bit tricky to pin down

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_level_of_war

Thanks mirth.  The link is a good one, makes more sense.

DennisS

Quote from: Bison on August 19, 2017, 11:01:30 AM

1.  Turn-based
2.  Operational

Any ideas welcome!

Advanced tactics gold.  http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=405

Great sandbox with no historical setting.  Randomized games with unlimited replayability

An excellent suggestion. If you don't have a strong interest in logistics, and supporting the tip of the spear, don't bother. Very elegant design.