Author Topic: Alienware vs Selfbuild  (Read 227 times)

Offline Ubercat

• Man-at-Arms
Re: Alienware vs Selfbuild
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 04:50:43 PM »
I have an eight year old quad core Digital Storm that's still working fine. I've never had any problems but the last few months it's periodically made funny noises that I suspect are either the HD or one of the fans getting onto it's last legs.

I just bought a new 500G SSD as a precaution and I'm going to pay my local Whole Foods Sushi guy to install it for me while explaining every step of the process including the migration of the OS and other programs. He's a PC expert :nerd: as well as a Sushi one! I haven't installed new hardware in a PC since I had my first 386SX back in '91 or so.

In a couple months or so I'll either get a new DS gaming monster system or pay the Sushi guy to build me one. We'll be a 2 PC household then and the old one can primarily be my wife's. She doesn't use very demanding software and her games are fairly simple. Bejeweled 3 and the like.
Numbers 31:17-18
"Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

Psalm 137:9
"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."

Offline MIGMaster

• Man-at-Arms
  • Watch your corners people.....
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 06:30:06 PM »
I've done both. I built my own PC's for years, but it just doesn't make sense anymore. It cost more to buy each component then it does to buy certain pre-built systems.  The catch is it depends on what kind of pre-built system you are looking at. Falcon NW and Alienware charge a large amount for system assembly and integration - but you tend to get better support - other companies charge less for similar hardware, but the support just isn't there.

With the Canadian dollar the way it is, I usually buy Cyberpower or iBuypower and do all my own work, upgrades, yadda, yadda.

Time tends to be the big factor - if you want to maximize gaming time, a quality pre-built is easily worth the money.

Online OJsDad

• Landsknecht
  • Fighting for Oppressed Individualism
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 05:59:28 AM »
I was at a customer site this week, and on my home I stopped at Micro Center.  Looking at through their add when I got home, I saw this.

It's from a company called PowerSpec.  I've never heard of them, but this looks like a great price.  I also like that they detailed they parts that are used in the machine.  Most of the others seem to just use generic terms.

PowerSpec G428;    $1699      http://www.microcenter.com/product/479097/G428_Desktop_Computer

Intel Core i7-7700K Processor 4.2GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X
16GB DDR4-3000 RAM
2TB HDD+500GB SSD
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro-64-bit
ASUS 24x DVDRW Drive
Multi-in-One Memory Card Reader
10/100/1000 Network
802.11ac Wireless
Display Not Included

Here are other PowerSpec systems that they have.  http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&sortby=match&N=4294967292+4294965234&myStore=false
Truman: "The Buck Stop Here"

Obama: "The Blame Goes There"

"The wargamer in me really wats to see a US armored brigade with proper support mix it up with the Ruskis."  Starfury

"ACK! You're right there!?!? Ouch that first 20 minutes hurt.... a lot...."  Barthhart playing PBEM Flashpoint Red Storm

Offline GDS_Starfury

• Musketeer
  • Sons of Punarchy
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 06:41:02 PM »
Good grief guys, there's nothing wrong with 3D printers.... I have a beef with how Stagger uses his 3D printer....

and how do you think next generation vibrators are designed?
Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Online Staggerwing

• Arquebusier
  • Oh Giant Meteor- why have you forsaken us?
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 06:49:50 PM »
Good grief guys, there's nothing wrong with 3D printers.... I have a beef with how Stagger uses his 3D printer....

and how do you think next generation vibrators are designed?

Using a holodeck for prototyping?
Vituš ér enn - eša hvat?  -Voluspa