Author Topic: Foxhole has been released on Steam.  (Read 523 times)

Offline AchillesLastStand

• Equites
Foxhole has been released on Steam.
« on: July 30, 2017, 11:18:18 PM »
Played this about a year ago during a free alpha and it was pretty good, it only had infantry at the time but quite a bit has been added since then including light tanks and arty. Anyone played or playing this currently?

http://www.foxholegame.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/505460/Foxhole/

"Foxhole is a massively multiplayer game where you will work with hundreds of players to shape the outcome of a persistent online war. Every individual soldier is a player that contributes to the war effort through logistics, base building, reconnaissance, combat, and more".

Key Features

Player Autonomy - Every solider is controlled by a player. Players ARE the content.

•Sandbox warfare, where players determine the narrative of a long term war

•Emergent strategies and tactics make every part the war feel unique

•Your character stays active in the world even after you've gone offline

•Build your capacity to contribute to the war by acquiring resources, crafting, and building

Persistent World - Join hundreds of players in a shared, war torn universe.

•Capture and setup supply lines to keep your frontline well equipped

•Execute long term strategies that take weeks of planning, changing the tide of the war with minimal casualties

•Conquer and relinquish territories in a back and forth, high stakes conflict

•Play as a persistent character throughout the war, gaining notoriety and influence among your faction
Realistic Combat - Tense and cerebral battles that keep you on the edge of your seat.

•Ammunition, resources, and information are limited, requiring players to work together to survive

•Dynamic battle conditions: Use the time of day and terrain features to gain an advantage

•Combat where skills and strategy matter more than stats or XP points

•Reconnaissance is as important as firepower

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:21:02 PM by AchillesLastStand »

Offline jomni

• Landsknecht
Re: Foxhole has been released on Steam.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 11:56:36 PM »
Started a thread a while ago but no one commented.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=20130.0

After playing the whole weekend, it seems to be pretty good. But it's actually a crafting game.  I heard that crafting became so complex compared to Alpha. Craft everything form weapons, ammo, factories, bunkers, vehicles, equipment.  It's also a tower defence game of sorts. Placing defences is key and is a slow creep. It kinda feels like WW1.  You do get to fight people but you also fight the automated bunkers and build your own -- which is the key to gaining ground.

Best experience I had is if the team has dedicated logistics runners and stuff builders. That way you can concentrate on fighting in the front lines.  Without people handing you supplies, it's not fun at all.  Building the stuff yourself takes so long. I'd like to do logistics work but I don't know where to start (I think maybe build a truck first as almost all idle trucks are locked by their creator) but running supplies should be a massive and organised task. Not the work of just one person.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:50:33 AM by jomni »

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Longbowman
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 03:53:15 AM »
^sounds like a peculiar design decision. Since when do soldiers manufacture vehicles and weapons on the front line? Basic fortifications, modifications and repairs, ok, but actually crafting weapons and vehicles?

Also, if your character remains active when you go offline, why can't it just be a traditional single player game, rather than yet another MMORPG?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Offline MikeGER

• Condottieri
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 04:29:27 AM »
why can't it just be a traditional single player game, rather than yet another MMORPG?

^the developer would had to build a real AI that is more then just a unit/tower placed in the world that start shooting when something get into range 

Offline jomni

• Landsknecht
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 04:57:33 AM »
^sounds like a peculiar design decision. Since when do soldiers manufacture vehicles and weapons on the front line? Basic fortifications, modifications and repairs, ok, but actually crafting weapons and vehicles?

Also, if your character remains active when you go offline, why can't it just be a traditional single player game, rather than yet another MMORPG?

They manufacture stuff in factories in cities then brought to forward bases by others manning supply trucks.  You can do salvage runs (from the dead) if desperate.  You build forts and bases in the front line. Destroy enemy auto-defenses and capture resources and key facilities... inching closer to the capital.  Defenses help  in maintaining the front line when server population is low or concentrated on one area of the map for a big offensive.

No RPG elements. Don't get attached to your guy. You die quickly by getting hit twice and spawn after a minute. He's just fodder.   :bd:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 06:45:29 AM by jomni »

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Longbowman
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 08:36:46 AM »
It sounds a little like Running with Rifles, which is a great game and has a robust single player mode. Big WWII Pacific Theater DLC coming soon and tons of awesome mods.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Offline Yskonyn

• Condottieri
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »
This is actually a super fun game from the looks of the videos on YouTube.
I am going to take a look at it myself over the coming days.
yassyblog.wordpress.com
3DS friendcode: 3738-0601-9543
Steam: Yskonyn

Offline bbmike

• Landsknecht
    • AAR Central
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 12:07:33 PM »
MMO? No, no, no!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

Offline jomni

• Landsknecht
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 08:49:23 PM »
This is actually a super fun game from the looks of the videos on YouTube.
I am going to take a look at it myself over the coming days.

Warning. The isomeric and limited field of view needs getting used to.

Offline Yskonyn

• Condottieri
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 09:46:29 PM »
Ok I am a little bummed here: can one only play on 'smallish' servers? No big single shard war? Does this require people to be in guilds of some sort or is the community friendly to randoms as well?
If its the first then I'll file for refund.
yassyblog.wordpress.com
3DS friendcode: 3738-0601-9543
Steam: Yskonyn

Offline Hofstadter

• Viking
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 10:29:06 PM »
No guilds as far as I know. It's just a pain to know what to do

Offline jomni

• Landsknecht
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 12:06:55 AM »
Ok I am a little bummed here: can one only play on 'smallish' servers? No big single shard war? Does this require people to be in guilds of some sort or is the community friendly to randoms as well?
If its the first then I'll file for refund.

No small battles.  Community is friendly so far.  But heard there are some nasty people too and those who are selfish with their crafted stuff but never encountered any.