Exercise Habits?

Started by airboy, July 16, 2017, 09:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Wife and I are wanting to take some tennis lessons . It would be a fun way to get some cardio in. I HATE cardio, but my heart loves it  O0

Toonces

@SDR (and others), there are a couple of workouts I could recommend if you're not grooving on the bowflex.

First, Bison suggested this to me a while back.  I modified it slightly and this is something I try to do a couple of times a week.  Ok, so I think about doing it a couple of times a week at least.

One mile run. 
Ten sets of:
20 x push ups
20 x crunches
20 x air squats
One mile run. 

I think it's the Michael Murphy workout.  Anyway, if you do this, it should take you somewhere around 35-40 minutes and you can up the intensity easily by adding reps, sets, or distance on the front or back end.

Additionally, I bought a sand bag a while ago and I've got a pretty good sandbag routine here:  https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/build-serious-strength-with-sandbag-training.html

I've modified this workout as well.  For example, I do three sets of everything instead of the recommended two.  The nice thing about throwing the sandbag around, though, is that it doesn't take up a lot of space, and it's a harder workout than using regular weights.  I have two, now, one about 35 pounds and one about 50 pounds.

Lastly, you can check www.artofmanliness.com for some great workout ideas; he has quite a good section on diet and training on there.

My personal workout routine, that I really need to make more of a "routine" than the current "do I really feel like working out today?" is a mixture of the modified Murphy, sandbag a few times a week, and taking out the paddleboard for a few miles of paddling.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

acctingman

Great stuff Toonces  O0

JasonPratt

Quote from: Toonces on July 17, 2017, 04:55:20 PM
One mile run. 
Ten sets of:
20 x push ups
20 x crunches
20 x air squats
One mile run. 

... if you do this, it should take you somewhere around 35-40 minutes and you can up the intensity easily by adding reps, sets, or distance on the front or back end.

I'm fuzzy about whether I could run two miles in 35-40 minutes, much less do ten sets of those things between. (Or at all. Or one set. Or run one mile, tbh, but I'm thinking about time here. ;) )

Surely that's a typo?
QuoteFor example, I do three sets of everything instead of the recommended two.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

I can run one mile in 35-40 minutes. If I don't pass a bar.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

I wouldn't recommend that workout to anyone that hasn't been doing rigorous physical exercise.  Scale the hell out of it if you need to do a workout like that particular one.  Its actually 10 sets of pushups, pull-ups, and air squats.  Start and end with a one mile run.

JasonPratt

As for exercise habits, I walked to class at Knoxville a few miles a day, up and down hill both ways, and taught fencing twice a week. So I used to have exercise.

Used to.  :hide:

I developed a bowflex regime a few years ago, but when I got sick with something for a couple of months (flu going into my lungs at the end, as I recall, took forever to get the coughs out), I got off the regime and haven't gone back yet. Keep reminding myself to do so, but I procrastinate about that because I want to diet off more weight first. (I need to get down to around 165-170, and then build back up.)

The regime wasn't much for endurance, but I hate spending time exercising unless I'm sparring or something else fun. The concept only required about six minutes a night before bed, and focused on working upper body groups (mostly, since my legs are in better shape) at maximum strain for short periods.

So, strap up X amount of resistance (a good guess is fine to start with, the process scales up to find the proper limit quickly). Bend the bars in six second steady repetitions, three seconds out, three back. Continue until near failure (don't want to push to total failure). If you can do 20 repetitions steadily without stopping, then the next night add 5 lbs tension on each side.

One night do sitting curls. (Together with the bar is fine, fatgrips if possible, alternate between underhand and overhand between reps.) Next night do resistance stomach crunches (with hands crossed on chest). Next night do reclining push outs. (Maybe not with the bar, since that never seems safe on bowflex: nothing to stop an accident from pulling the bar back onto you!) Next night do stand/squat pulls with the bar (fatgrip if possible, alternate between underhand and overhand between reps).

Naturally the same thing could be done with true cable weights.

Obvs this is more for body shaping than anything really useful. But it was working well. I should dang well get back to it, but I'm horribly lazy and procrast about some things.  :-[
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

I focus more on the vital parts (heart, lungs, etc...) than muscle development.  That is why I walk fast 25 minutes for 3x to 5x times a week.  I do my weight circuit two to three times a week.

The important part is to be active and do it regularly.  Toonces is probably in much better shape that almost all of us.  I'm very serious about my cardio and somewhat serious about my weightlifting.

mirth

Quote from: airboy on July 19, 2017, 08:46:23 AM
Toonces is probably in much better shape that almost all of us. 

"much better" is probably a stretch
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

^I'm glad you said it first 💀

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Quote from: mirth on July 19, 2017, 08:54:37 AM
Quote from: airboy on July 19, 2017, 08:46:23 AM
Toonces is probably in much better shape that almost all of us. 

"much better" is probably a stretch

Especially if you are talking about waistlines and pants.  :)

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Oh kiss my butt bison.  You too Gus.   >:(

JP, the 3 sets was for the sandbag link I posted.  It has you doing 2 sets of each exercise, but I prefer 3.

As for bison's Murphy workout, if you're not already working out routinely then definitely scale it back or you're going to be a hurting puppy.

Yesterday I did the toonces Murphy workout: 20 minute ocean swim, 10x20 push ups, 10x20 crunches.  I haven't done a regular swim in a while....boooooring, especially when visibility is like 18 inches. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on July 19, 2017, 08:45:14 AM
How old are you?

47 this November.

I do have an old Cardio-glider in my office, that I've been working on for a little over two weeks now, but I don't think that's long enough to count as an exercise "habit", so I didn't want to mention it.  :-[ I'm spreading 9 sets of 20 (half overhand, half underhand) out over the workday, adding 1 rep per week (so 21 reps per set this week). But the extra reps being added on are done with the hands down low/centered on the grips, and the feet up on the kids' pedals which makes the extra reps much harder. Resistance is cranked up to max, but on this model of Powerglide that isn't too bad for the limited number of reps I'm doing.