RIP Chet Cunningham - An Author to Admire

Started by airboy, July 08, 2017, 12:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Chet Cunningham was a true writing professional.  Forgot to post this when he died in March.

Chet Cunningham didn't believe in writer's block.  The San Diego author's catalog of 450 published books — Westerns, thrillers, military history, medical guides — included one that he wrote in less than a week because a publishing house was desperate to fill an unexpected hole in its production schedule.
"That's what I do," Cunningham once told the San Diego Union-Tribune. "I write books."

When he lost his job in a round of cutbacks, he turned to writing full time. To pay the bills, he churned out magazine articles, many of them about cars and trucking, but he had his heart set on becoming a novelist.  In a methodical approach that would set the stage for his prolific career, he studied the book market, learned that Westerns were the lowest-paying and figured he'd have less competition there. He bought a couple dozen used paperbacks, jotted interesting facts onto index cards — the price of gold in 1837, for example — and created his own research library.

His first book, "Bushwhackers of the Circle K," came out in 1968. Despite a less-than-enthusiastic note from the publisher — "While this is not the best Western we've ever seen, we've decided to publish it" — Cunningham was on his way. The floodgate opened, book after book after book, an average of one every month in his prime.

"I fell asleep to the sound of his manual typewriter for years and years," said his daughter, Christine Ashworth. She grew up to be a writer, too, of romance novels.
Cunningham didn't have the time or inclination to rank his own books. His favorite was usually the one he had just finished. But some were more personal than others. "Hell Wouldn't Stop," his 2002 oral history of the World War II Battle of Wake Island, was a nod to his brother, who was on Wake when the Japanese invaded just hours after bombing Pearl Harbor.

He credited his output to his daily deadline training as a journalist and to a work ethic that usually had him in his home office for 10 hours a day. Writer's block? "I don't believe it exists," he wrote on his website.  "Ever heard of a carpenter not going to work because he has 'carpenter's block'? If a writer can't write, it's because he doesn't really want to, he isn't ready to get it on paper or he's just plain lazy."

bbmike

That's some serious writing! I see that Bushwackers At The Circle K is on Amazon for $2.99. I will read it at some point.  O0

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak