Solar Eclipse 2017 - August 21

Started by DoctorQuest, July 07, 2017, 09:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Pete Dero

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/2017-total-solar-eclipse/solar-eclipse-apps/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=sky-jma-nl-170818&utm_content=964264_EDT_SKY_170818&utm_medium=email

Would you like to know when the eclipse begins and ends in your hometown? How much of the Sun's face the Moon will cover at maximum, and when that occurs? Maybe you're on the verge of a last-minute decision to get yourself into the path of totality — would you like to know the quickest way to get there? Are you worried about remembering when to remove and replace your solar filters and wishing you could get a reminder at the appropriate times? Are you going to be stuck at work on the 21st and hoping to catch a live stream of the eclipse so as not to miss the event entirely?

There's an app for that! (You probably saw that coming.)

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/2017-total-solar-eclipse/watch-solar-eclipse-live-stream/

To all those who can watch it in the US : enjoy !

Sir Slash

I'll be watching it from my backyard swimming pool. Not staring at the sun but it's reflection in the water.  :uglystupid2:  While I drool a little Bourbon and 7-Up from my drink into the pool and try to ignore the old guy looking back at me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pete Dero

Somehow I'm glad we can't watch the eclips : predictions for the 21st = zero hours of sunshine and around 60° F/18 °C.
Being in the right area and not seeing a thing because of clouds is worse than being in the wrong area of the planet (trust me, I know because it happened to me in 1999). >:(

Staggerwing

I'm sure that I'm preaching to the choir here but just remember to be safe when looking at it guys and gals. Due to human nature's combination of curiosity and carelessness, eye care profesionals are expecting a sharp spike in patients who suffer retinal burns. Your retinas do not have any pain sensors so you can damage them in a second or two and not know it till later on. The only time you can look with the naked eye is during totality (fully covered). The rest of the time you have to be wearing either authentic sun-viewing protective eyewear (and there are apparently a LOT of phony knock-offs that flooded the market on Amazon and Ebay and such) or welder's goggles WITH A SHADE LEVEL of AT LEAST 12 (hard to find and borderline protection), 13 (very hard to find), or 14 (so dark you may not even be able to see much of the eclipse).

If you are unsure of your internet-bought glasses you can try to look at a standard lightbulb in an otherwise dark room. If you can barely see the bulb without any lamp shade but cannot see any light from shaded bulbs it 'might' be ok. Might. The only way to be truly certain is if you bought them from a reputable supplier of similar products who would have stocked up before the demand lead to counterfeiters entering the market.

Also, do not look at the partial phases through an unfiltered telescope or binocs even if you do have your approved sunwear on. The optics of these devices will concentrate the the amount of harmful light to a level beyond what 'eclipse glasses' can handle. Cameras and other optical electronics may be damaged so make sure you don't mind sacrificing that webcam if you decide to set up a live feed to watch the event on your iPad or computer instead of directly.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

the office is holding a viewing party on the patio outside the cafeteria; I'll probably just go down there for a bit
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Here it comes now. No, wait. That was just a fat guy walking past me at pool side.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Trump is making the Sun disappear! The prophecy is true!!!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Silent Disapproval Robot

Checked it out 10:21am PST.  The maintenance dept doled out some of their welding masks so we were all able to get a good look. 

mirth

JasonPratt

Quote from: mirth on August 21, 2017, 12:43:44 PM
Trump is making the Sun disappear! The prophecy is true!!!

Did he Tweet about it a few years ago? ;)

We've passed our high mark here, 97.7%. Not enough to make the streetlights come on or the birds come home to roost, but pretty dim. Bought legit glasses for the guys, but I think they preferred the old way of a pinhole in paper focusing on a manilla folder.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

One of the guys here brought in a camera obscura he made. It's pretty cool, but we're only going to get about 60% of totality. Max coverage is in 10 minutes.

Barthheart

Max coverage here was about 60% as well just now.
Lots of people with their kids out on the University lawns.  O0

mirth

From what I was reading earlier, we'll be much closer to totality for the 2024 Eclipse. Should be able to drive an hour or two to reach 100%.