Solar Eclipse 2017 - August 21

Started by DoctorQuest, July 07, 2017, 09:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Meh.  It got a bit dim, but the old pizza box trick was a total fail.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Just came in from watching outside with special glasses. Creepy looking.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Toonces on August 21, 2017, 01:56:07 PM
Meh.  It got a bit dim, but the old pizza box trick was a total fail.

You're supposed to take the pizza out of the box ;)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

If the Uggs wearing weatherman isn't impressed who will be?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Cloud cover at a location with 98 percent. Fluke in my work schedule got me that close.

Sir Slash

I heard Jim Cantore cause a panic when he showed-up in Illinois. They thought a hurricane was about to hit.  :P   Kind of a Florida joke.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

MikeGER

i am kind of jealous  :(

saw the eclipse in Germany 1999, of course and had driven into the 100%-area  then
but the sky was not clear at my chosen spot, i saw the dark sun and witnessed how the environment reacts to a 3min- night, but i missed the corona, sigh

2024 is next one in USA ? ...you lucky bastards ^-^

JasonPratt

The totality passes even nearer to us that time. Amusingly, the US will experience a total eclipse in the first and the last years of Trump's presidency.

>:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

The US will also have a full but annular eclipse across it, the year before. That's where the moon crosses the middle but is a little too far away from the Earth to obscure the sun's disc completely. It's naturally a little more common than totals.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Greybriar

Despite being in a nearly perfect location to view the eclipse, it was too cloudy today to see it. However, it got very dark and the temperature dropped dramatically. Fox news aired a video stream of the eclipse from a cloud-free location. Kind of meh, but better than nothing.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

trailrunner

A bunch of us went outside the Pentagon and watched it.  I had not bought eclipse glasses, but people were passing some around so I got a couple of good looks at the eclipse.  It had been a pretty hot day, and I noticed when the temperature dropped.  The timing for us was pretty good, because the sky was clear during the eclipse, but shortly afterwards some typical late afternoon thunderstorms rolled in.

MetalDog

Just got back.  Watched it from some fair grounds east of Nashville.  I was able to see totality.  It looked like a giant iris with bright, white, light around it.  I contend it was the eye of God looking down on us.  That's what it felt like.  It looked like dusk all around, but, different.  Because the sky was still blue(ish).  We got the temperature drop.  It wasn't anything massive, but, you could tell.  And I will contend that if you didn't see the totality, you'll never know what you missed until you see one.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

The Eye of Sauron is fixed on MetalDog!