IAF Leader

Started by JudgeDredd, June 16, 2017, 07:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Woohoo....just heard from the reseller that it'll be there soon and to make my payment.

I'm glad I pre-purchased this back in 2014 at £42 - god knows what it would be now with the pound plummeting faster than one of my Cold Water subs!
Alba gu' brath

PanzersEast

My copy arrived today!   :D

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

PanzersEast

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 19, 2017, 01:05:07 AM
Quote from: PanzersEast on June 17, 2017, 05:00:05 PM
Review? AAR?

Just some quick observations.  This maybe my favorite Air Leader game (B-17 Claims that spot followed by TAL)..... maybe. 

Some highlights, there are a lot of assets to choose from as it covers the gambit of the Israeli conflicts from Spitfires to Falcons.  I like the fact you can purchase skills for your pilots at the beginning of a campaign (Legendary Pilot) to give them certain bonuses.  The invasion cards ramps up the difficulty and puts pressure on you.  No secondary missions, unless specified by specific objectives (as I understand it).  The stress levels in this one are pretty tough to manage.  I had one pilot receive 8 stress point on his first mission.  They implemented everything that worked well in Phantom Leader Deluxe and expanded on it.  This is not a copy with a theme pasted on, it feels like a separate game to me, with all the variety of assets and campaigns...... very glad I picked this one up!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: PanzersEast on June 19, 2017, 10:43:48 AM
Review? AAR?

Just some quick observations.  This maybe my favorite Air Leader game (B-17 Claims that spot followed by TAL)..... maybe. 

Some highlights, there are a lot of assets to choose from as it covers the gambit of the Israeli conflicts from Spitfires to Falcons.  I like the fact you can purchase skills for your pilots at the beginning of a campaign (Legendary Pilot) to give them certain bonuses.  The invasion cards ramps up the difficulty and puts pressure on you.  No secondary missions, unless specified by specific objectives (as I understand it).  The stress levels in this one are pretty tough to manage.  I had one pilot receive 8 stress point on his first mission.  They implemented everything that worked well in Phantom Leader Deluxe and expanded on it.  This is not a copy with a theme pasted on, it feels like a separate game to me, with all the variety of assets and campaigns...... very glad I picked this one up!
Excellent - though I'm a touch surprised from your mention of B-17 - my "limited" understanding is that's it's got problems.

Anyway - thanks. Really looking forward to this. My favourite has always been Phantom Leader with TAL second and Hornet Leader third.

Looking forward to receiving my game.
Alba gu' brath

PanzersEast

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 19, 2017, 04:40:34 PM
Review? AAR?

Excellent - though I'm a touch surprised from your mention of B-17 - my "limited" understanding is that's it's got problems.

Anyway - thanks. Really looking forward to this. My favourite has always been Phantom Leader with TAL second and Hornet Leader third.

One reason I like B-17 so much is the totally different feel to the game and the subject matter.  I don't think the issues are too serious from enjoying the game, although it does not play as fast as the others.  TAL and Phantom Leader are right there at the top for me.  The variety in IAFL is probably the best in the series as far as Aircraft and Campaigns (ordnance selection is ok).

DennisS

Quote from: PanzersEast on June 19, 2017, 05:07:31 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 19, 2017, 04:40:34 PM
Review? AAR?

One reason I like B-17 so much is the totally different feel to the game and the subject matter.  I don't think the issues are too serious from enjoying the game, although it does not play as fast as the others.  TAL and Phantom Leader are right there at the top for me.  The variety in IAFL is probably the best in the series as far as Aircraft and Campaigns (ordnance selection is ok).

Does it have the same terrain mechanic as TAL? In your opinion, does the game itself compare favorably to TAL? I LOVE TAL..and if this is anywhere near the quality, then I'm gonna hafta bust out the MC.

JudgeDredd

I thought it was along the lines of Phantom\Hornet Leader

Anyway - mine has been dispatched   :notworthy:
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

It came!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me say - this is superb quality. There are a plethora of game cards on good card stock. All the campaigns and help sheets are good quality and the chits seem to be very good quality and look like they might easily popout. The game board is hard back mounted and looks great.

This looks like the quantity of kit you might have got with Phantom Leader Deluxe. I only ever had the standard Phantom Leader and this has plenty of stuff in it. I can't believe this only cost £45. I'm sure Phantom Leader Deluxe is kicking around for about £60-£70!

Looking forward to this one - thanks Dan  O0
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Oh - and those chits look clipped  O0
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 30, 2017, 09:48:55 AM

They are not "clipped", they are rounded punched. No mangling required.  ;)

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on June 30, 2017, 10:11:05 AM

"Properly rounded" is the term you're looking for.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on June 30, 2017, 10:16:05 AM

Still not mangled by you heathens.

mirth

I don't care how the rounding gets done.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on June 30, 2017, 11:47:25 AM
Quote from: mirth on June 30, 2017, 10:16:05 AM

Still not mangled by you heathens.

Muh mangled countaz is seeeeeexaaaaaay!

Much work goes into them.  They can always look better.