Sudden Strike 4 pre-purchase and Beta entry on Steam

Started by Barthheart, May 30, 2017, 09:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

http://store.steampowered.com/app/373930/Sudden_Strike_4/

QuoteOptional ,,Pause & Play" for more tactical depth

Might be worth a look but at $47 (CDN) on sale it's a bit steep....

Jarhead0331

This was an insta-purchase for me, but I'm reading a lot of negative impressions so far. I'm pretty surprised...will have to research more before I bite.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Barthheart

Are you finding any new reviews of it? All I can find are bits from a year ago..... a lot can change in a year....

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Barthheart on May 30, 2017, 10:43:17 AM
Are you finding any new reviews of it? All I can find are bits from a year ago..... a lot can change in a year....

I wouldn't expect any reviews...its a beta, and still has over 2 months before release. However, if you go into the steam discussion forum, you'll find links to impressions and youtube "let's Play" type videos. I think that's the best we're going to get for now.

I had seen a developer made video sometime ago explaining the philosophy behind the development of the game. They seemed to be looking for ways to please both the casual crowd and the die-hard fans of the series who expect a little more realism and authenticity. Overall, this approach made me very nervous and uncomfortable, but they did seem to be coming up with some reasonable ways to placate both groups. For instance, several of the more "gamey" features could be turned off in the settings menu. Its possible that a lot of the complaints are coming from the more grogish crowd who are unaware that the features can be modified to make for a more "realistic" experience.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Barthheart

Destraex

I might be thinking of something else, but was this game not shunned because of its pay to win moba elements?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on May 30, 2017, 06:15:07 PM
I might be thinking of something else, but was this game not shunned because of its pay to win moba elements?

You're thinking of Blitzkrieg 3. Which has changed a lot over its development cycle.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

So...I bought it. It's 15% off so the price comes to $42 and change. However, it also comes with the entire Sudden Strike series of games, which was recently released on Steam. I had just bought those for $15, and since SS4 comes with the series, I refunded them. So technically, I feel like I just got SS4 for like $27.

There is a RIDICULOUS nondisclosure agreement for what is considered a "closed beta". You cannot discuss the game outside of their own official beta forum...no screenshots...no videos. I think whether this is enforceable on paying customers is questionable, as is the logic, but I will respect it.

Anyway, I would like to say that I am quite enjoying it. I don't think they will throw the book at me for that. If you liked the original SS games, especially the first and second in the series, you will most likely not want to miss this.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Barthheart

Destraex

You are right Jar. Blitzkrieg is what I was thinking of.

I am not familiar with the sudden strike games. Is it better than steel division especially when it comes to realistic ranges and realism?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Pete Dero

Quote from: Destraex on May 31, 2017, 04:51:48 AM
Is it better than steel division especially when it comes to realistic ranges and realism?

Less realistic.  Very limited view distance (most units can only see 100 meters/yards far).
Feels more like a classic RTS.

sandman2575

Yeah, looks pure RTS a la Company of Heroes / Men of War. Honestly, some of the screenshots look indistinguishable from Blitzkrieg 3.

Full non-discounted price of $50 seems pretty dang steep.

Jarhead0331

To me, SD4 looks much better than Blitzkrieg 3.

It is definitely not what I would consider a realistic simulation of WWII combat, but it does incorporate more authentic elements than say your standard RTS. There is some modeling of ballisitcs, penetration, armor facing, LOS, cover, destructible buildings and terrain, etc. Ammunition and fuel supply are modeled.

It is enjoyable for what it is, but like Steel Divisions, don't buy this expecting Grigsby's war in the east.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 31, 2017, 08:48:56 AM
It is enjoyable for what it is, but like Steel Divisions, don't buy this expecting Grigsby's war in the east.

Does the world really need more than one War in the East?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

RyanE

I played the first two Sudden Strikes.  They were the epitome of the RTS clickfest at the time.  I would prefer any of the Eugen products any day of the week over those.